Opening up local school playing fields for exercise

Jakido

How about opening up Dulwich and Sydenham Golf Club? A huge, attractive open space, currently sat empty whilst people struggle to maintain distance in the neighbouring woods and nearby parks. Is maintaining the grass for "the capital's golfing elite" (quote from their website) more important than the public's well-being at these times when open space is in such high demand?

Fence off the greens and offer a grant to the club to repair any damage to the course when this is over. An opportunity for the Dulwich Estate to show they really do care about the people living in and around the estate.

Great sentiment !

However I feel a private school (or private golf course, or other estate land) is unfortunately unlikely to open it's land up to the public.

Even if insurance, liability, staffing and setting rules for use were not challenges I doubt that level of community consideration would be forthcoming.

But - don't ask, don't get.

Good luck.

The other issue I guess would be the usual minority (10-20%) of users of the space (if use was allowed) are going to continue to demonstrate careless behaviour, as they do everywhere else. I think space is less of an issue than attitude during these times which is a real shame.

Like Dulwich College, Alleyn?s is also using their DT lab to make masks and visors. Grateful to the staff at both schools, and any other schools doing this, for working during the Easter Holidays to provide these vital pieces of equipment to NHS frontline staff.

Alleyn?s top field is the one sandwiched between Townley Road and Calton Avenue btw.

Ah that's good - I'd seen a few kids in there and assumed they'd bunked over the railings. Far too high and pointy for me!

alfie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alleyns have tweeted to say that their top field

> is open for responsible use for daily fresh air

Jakido Wrote:

> Does anyone know how to contact Alleyn's, JAGS and

> Dulwich College to get them to open their playing

> fields up for (socially distanced) exercise to

> relieve pressure on local parks.

Surely the said establishments have a telephone number, email address for you to contact them?

I am fortunate to live next to Alleyn's playing field and whilst residents support the opening of the field to the public we would ask users to respect the regulations which the Bursar sent to residents last week:

I would wish to emphasise some specifics related to this period of unencumbered use of our grounds.

1. The tarmac hard courts. We are hardly using these tennis/netball courts at the moment, because they have deteriorated in a number of ways. The fencing around them is in poor repair and some of the uprights are no longer safe. The retaining wall at the bottom end is in an unsafe condition. We would advise casual users to avoid these areas, and we cannot accept responsibility for any injury or damage caused to those that ignore this advice.

2. Please do not allow pets onto the site. These are playing fields and a forest school area, used by children aged from 4 to 18 years old. Their health could be severely damaged through accidental contact with, for example, dog faeces.

3. Please do not abuse the facilities, cause damage, allow graffiti or leave litter. If we find casual users involved in any of these, we will have no choice but remove the benefit of access to the space.

Alleyn's have now put a notice on the gate into the field giving the opening hours of 7 am to 5 pm and asking that people keep to the social distancing rules of 2 metres apart and not allowing dogs as small children use this field. It has been really shocking to see in recent days that some people think it'd OK to let their dogs run free on a playing field!

So today.....my wife and 2 kids got locked in the alley field with about 20 other people at about 4:20pm today. Had to climb the wall to get out.

It's great that they have opened them to responsible use. But dont understand locking the gates with 20-30 people in the field at a random time......

FlatStanley Wrote:

> This is good news, bravo to Alleyn?s. Does anyone

> know how you can access the Alleyns field - is it

> through the big entrance on Townley Road - and is

> the top field the one where the school is based,

> or on the opposite side of Townley Road?

Couple of gates open, Townley Road is one. Another up towards the top, if coming from LL