More cars making non-essential journeys?

NewWave

Has anyone else noticed an increased number of cars on the road?

Even though there are considerably less cars on the road than normal I have noticed the number of vehicles creeping up over the past week.

I especially noticed this yesterday walking along lordship lane. with Supermarkets closed on Easter Sunday I couldn't help but wonder where these people were going, many of the cars housed a lone occupant which made me question if people were out visiting friends especially as a lot of the drivers from what I could see looked younger.

or were they driving to open spaces in the fine weather? Which raises the question how much of this was essential travel?

I dont want to be a grumpy old woman but I keep seeing little examples of people not taking this seriously enough,

ignoring social distancing, someone on my street had a car containing visitors turn up...I said nothing because i was afraid to do so and didn't want to appear a 'nosy neighbour' but happened to see the car pull up whilst cleaning my windows. I'm pretty damn sure they hosted a BBQ.

I dont want a total lockdown where we are not allowed to leave our homes as I for one would lose my mind not being able to leave my home.

And what's more with the lack of policing due to cuts even if we did go into total lockdown people would still ignore knowing they wouldn't get caught.

But I'm going off topic Has anyone else noticed an increased amount of cars on our roads? As well as more speeding.

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone else noticed an increased number of

> cars on the road?

> Even though there are considerably less cars on

> the road than normal I have noticed the number of

> vehicles creeping up over the past week.

> I especially noticed this yesterday walking along

> lordship lane. with Supermarkets closed on Easter

> Sunday I couldn't help but wonder where these

> people were going, many of the cars housed a lone

> occupant which made me question if people were out

> visiting friends especially as a lot of the

> drivers from what I could see looked younger.

> or were they driving to open spaces in the fine

> weather? Which raises the question how much of

> this was essential travel?

> I dont want to be a grumpy old woman but I keep

> seeing little examples of people not taking this

> seriously enough,

> ignoring social distancing, someone on my street

> had a car containing visitors turn up...I said

> nothing because i was afraid to do so and didn't

> want to appear a 'nosy neighbour' but happened to

> see the car pull up whilst cleaning my windows.

> I'm pretty damn sure they hosted a BBQ.

> I dont want a total lockdown where we are not

> allowed to leave our homes as I for one would lose

> my mind not being able to leave my home.

> And what's more with the lack of policing due to

> cuts even if we did go into total lockdown people

> would still ignore knowing they wouldn't get

> caught.

> But I'm going off topic Has anyone else noticed an

> increased amount of cars on our roads? As well as

> more speeding.

I've noticed this increase in cars, and people on my street have had visitors and someone I know has had visitors several times from the other side of London....and the speeding is bad- especially on Lordship Lane going up the hill towards the library.

The roads are pretty light round here. You have to stop yourself examining cars as they pass to see if they look like they are on an essential journey. I expect many aren't but that the vast majority of us are behaving. Government is getting data from TomTom, Google, Apple and the like about people's movements and will have a reasonable idea of compliance. Most of the news shots have been from the air eg picnicking, but that has died a death, presumably is it has dropped off rather than the loss of a newsworthy item. The motorists featuring on the news are those doing silly miles being stopped by the police rather than unnecessary journeys in SE London. Maybe this will persuade many of that we no longer need a car.