DPD

Sue

I had a DPD notification yesterday that a parcel would be delivered today.

The tracking says DPD has not yet received the parcel.

A load of automated responses via supposedly live chat have not shed any light.

The firm who sent the parcel just have a message on their phone line saying due to circumstances they are not taking phone calls.

Messages via their contact form probably won't be answered for days.

All I want to know is whether DPD will at some point give me some sort of estimated time window within which my parcel will arrive.

And how much notice I will have of that.

Does anybody know?

It is only an issue because I want to go to my allotment (allowed exercise and easy to keep away from people) for a few hours,but I don't want to miss the delivery :(

It won't take long to get back from the allotment as I drive, due to self-isolating.

The text says DPD Local. Is that different to DPD?

I had exactly the same! I had a message to say that my package would be delivered today and then another message to say that they haven't received my package yet. I'm going to wait for a few days and see what happens. Maybe just a glitch on their website.

Sorry dbboy have been weeding and only checking my phone sporadically.

Will delete some messages shortly.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

It's nothing valuable but includes two tubs of crunchy peanut butter which have been unavailable for weeks 🤣

The crunchy peanut butter sender has got back to me saying there has been a "slight delay" and "the parcel will be delivered tomorrow" and "sorry for any inconvenience".

Oh I am so looking forward to the peanut butter :))

Hello again Sue, when I first glimpsed the thread I thought it was just something trivial, but hot damn! crunchy peanut butter!!!

No wonder it became an issue for you, ridiculous for it not to be.

I mean, the next thing it'll be strawb'ry jam or heaven forfend orange marmalade (with chunky peel). And then where would we be?

Up a certain crick with no means of steerage, that's where the the flip we'd be. HA!

Any hoo best of luck with the toasty speadables.

Just on a separate note, I like DPD, for a couple of years I was ordering rakes of stuff from the Pretty Green website and they were excellent in their service.

I always thought, good enough for Liam Gallagher, good enough for me.

Regards

They arrived today, gave me a one hour time slot this morning, gave me half an hour's notice them told me when the driver was a few minutes away.

Excellent service, so I have no idea what happened yesterday, however at least I now know I will get plenty of warning.

The peanut butter etc is now in quarantine, however .....

Sue, rather than quarantine your jar of peanut butter, why not wash it like a dish in the kitchen sink.

We are washing all shopping properly, then rinsing it and letting it dry on drainer (except fridge stuff which goes straight in there.

We quarantine our post though, it stays on floor for a few days - we ain't washing that !!

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue, rather than quarantine your jar of peanut

> butter, why not wash it like a dish in the kitchen

> sink.

> We are washing all shopping properly, then rinsing

> it and letting it dry on drainer (except fridge

> stuff which goes straight in there.

> We quarantine our post though, it stays on floor

> for a few days - we ain't washing that !!

Yes, just a good wash with soap and disinfectant will be enough. It has been in transit in its packaging for 2-3 days anyway. No need for an extended quarantine. Enjoy the taste of disappearing peanut butter ;)

KidKruger Wrote:

> sink.

Yes, have been doing that with other things, just couldn't be arsed to wash the peanut butter immediately.

Also quarantining post 🙂

The algorithms that decide DPD?s delivery route are strange. Yesterday my neighbour and I each had a parcel on the same van. Mine was delivered then the van departed along Upland Road and Peckham Rye and returned to deliver my Neighbour?s parcel about half an hour or so later.

JohnL Wrote:

> Gosh I haven't been this careful :(

>

> Wash hands mainly.

I'm high risk (ancient plus immune compromised plus asthma) and self-isolating.

There's a limit to how much you can do, but I'm being very careful. Probably if you aren't high risk it's less important.

However, at the moment I feel pretty crap so I'm hoping all my precautions haven't been in vain :(

Dulwich Fox - that's antibac, not antiviral. It won't do the trick. You can't beat stop and water. You're probably better off decanting the contents, sticking the plastic cartons in the sink with w/up liquid and hot water then washing your hands thoroughly.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I had a Delivery Curry tonight from Jaflong

> Tandoori.

>

> Came in Polythene containers..

>

> Cleaned / Wiped them with Tesco Anti Bac multi

> surface Cleaner before opening. 750ml 80p

>

> https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/371/5057753904

> 371/IDShot_540x540.jpg?h=540&w=540

>

>

> Gave myself and the delivery man a quick squirt

> of Carex Hand Gel.

>

> Foxy

KidKruger Wrote:

> sink.

Doesn't the virus remain active for longer at a low temperature? It's heat that kills it along with sunshine.

https://bgr.com/2020/04/10/can-coronavirus-live-in-freezer-refrigerator/

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-long-can-coronaviruses-survive-in-a-freezer-Up-to-two-years-warns-expert

Yes, no evidence yet that warmer temperatures stop the virus. And that won't be known for some time yet. Respiratory viruses are not flu viruses, so making assumptions that they behave in the same way is premature. Some of the first places to show spread outside of China are warm climates.

edcam Wrote:

> Dulwich Fox - that's antibac, not antiviral. It

> won't do the trick. You can't beat stop and

> water. You're probably better off decanting the

> contents, sticking the plastic cartons in the sink

> with w/up liquid and hot water then washing your

> hands thoroughly.

>

>

>

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I had a Delivery Curry tonight from Jaflong

> > Tandoori.

> >

> > Came in Polythene containers..

> >

> > Cleaned / Wiped them with Tesco Anti Bac multi

> > surface Cleaner before opening. 750ml 80p

> >

> >

> https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/371/5057753904

> > 371/IDShot_540x540.jpg?h=540&w=540

> >

> >

> > Gave myself and the delivery man a quick

> squirt

> > of Carex Hand Gel.

> >

SOME anti bac products are also anti viral.

You need to double check the description before you buy it.

That's easier if you are buying it online I guess.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> Yes, no evidence yet that warmer temperatures stop

> the virus. And that won't be known for some time

> yet. Respiratory viruses are not flu viruses, so

> making assumptions that they behave in the same

> way is premature. Some of the first places to show

> spread outside of China are warm climates.

I was referring to higher temperatures and sunshine, NOT climate.

High temperatures have been used to sterilise items for centuries hence the use of boiling water or autoclaves. Nothing get sterilised in a fridge or freezer.

In the case of direct sunshine, it is the ultra violet rays that destroy bacteria and viruses.The sunlight that reaches the earth has ultraviolet A and ultraviolet B (UVA and UVB) rays. These ultraviolet rays are the main causes of damage to the skin from the sun. Just as UV damages ones skin, so it damages the membrane of the virus. It's nothing to do with climate,per se, either cold or warm.

Conversely, with lower temperatures, as found in ones fridge, this will preserve the virus for much longer than normal - in the same way it preserves your food.

Hence cleaning packaging before placing the item in the fridge is crucial to reducing the spread of the virus. You don't sterilise anything just by placing it in the fridge or the freezer.

Hence also why we are advised to wash our hands with soap and hot water.

Yes Edcam. The cleaning Plough Man refers to, works because the chemicals in use destroy the surface of the virus, thereby erasing the antigen ability to infect live cells. There is absolutely NO evidence of UV rays destroying SARS viruses. If you look at table 2 of this link you can see how much lower the coronavirus SnS is compared to other viruses. This is outside the range of UV light that destroys human skin cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280232/

Where UV light destroys human cells, it is between 200 and 280 nanometres. There is already UV emitting equipment in hospitals like this, that is used to kill pathogens. While it is effective against a whole range of things from Ecoli to MRSA, no tests conducted so far show any effectiveness against coronaviruses. Even more worrying is results published today showing no evidence of immunity from having recovered from the COVID virus. It is becoming increasingly clear that we are not dealing with a pathogen that follows the rules of most other viruses here. Disinfectant and good hygiene practise may be our only effective prevention for some time to come.