can anyone please help with microsoft problem?

sue k

Are you able to access the folder from a Command Prompt? This might at least prove that the folder is not corrupted and would allow you to access the files, copy them somewhere else for the time being and fix the problem with opening the folder from GUI later.

Have you updated your PC recently? One update had the effect of 'losing' all documents etc. (I believe they weren't actually lost) This is just one link which suggests remedies https://www.fonepaw.com/windows/windows-update-deleted-my-files.html. A recent 2020 issue is noted here https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

I do hope it works out for you, but I'm sure there is a remedy and it isn't all really lost

yourmomma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Likely opening off screen. Did you have multiple

> monitors?

>

> Try clicking start, typing file explorer and then

> browsing to documents from there.

I discovered the other day shift windows left (or right) moved off screen to on

hi everyone

thanks so much for the suggestions...i'm afraid i'm really not understanding of computers.....so not familiar with some of the terms. i don't have icloud. nor have i updated the PC with anything. and i don't have multiple monitors..

i know the documents/pictures are still there as i tried a sample word text to 'save as' and the documents folder then opened up..but once i've saved that sample text..i can't then just open the document folders ordinarily....

maybe i should just try HP as that is the PC make?

phew...

JohnL Wrote:

> location on c:\ drive is usually something like

> the below - unless you have Onedrive set-up to

> store in the cloud somehow.

>

>

> C:\Users\"username"\Documents

Yes on My PC

C:\Users\"username"\OneDrive\Documents

if I navigate to C:\Users\"username"\Documents -- Access is denied if I try to open

Foxy

nor have i updated the PC with anything

Your Windows PC should automatically update monthly with security patches (you can delay this, but I'm guessing you don't if you are as non-tech as you suggest) - unless you are running Windows 7 or earlier where the operating system is no longer supported by Microsoft. These automatic updates recently from Microsoft have caused some people real problems.

If your hard drive has a bad sector where the docs folder is located, or if some files there are located on one+ then Win10 in particular has a habit of freezing & even crashing until you restart explorer.exe. Another likely explanation is the file allocation table has been corrupted - it's never a good idea to keep any user generated files on the c drive, kids!

You can easily create a bootable Live Linux Mint, Ubuntu or PopOS usb stick {remembering to turn off secure boot in your bios] which will allow you to browse the hard disc & if the folder isn't buggered to then copy the files to another usb stick/drive,

When this is done, run a test on the drive with crystal disk info, then mark to check if the drive is healthy or not & consider running your OS on SSD & your files on another drive & setup at least one regular cloud backup.

Migrating to Linux full time or a dual boot solution [one OS per drive is best] will cause you less headaches too :)

Penguin68 Wrote:

> nor have i updated the PC with anything

>

> Your Windows PC should automatically update

> monthly with security patches (you can delay this,

> but I'm guessing you don't if you are as non-tech

> as you suggest) - unless you are running Windows 7

> or earlier where the operating system is no longer

> supported by Microsoft. These automatic updates

> recently from Microsoft have caused some people

> real problems.

I had real issues getting 201909 on my PC - needed to do it manually.

Still sounds to me like the window is opening off screen for some reason (happpens to me all the time when I move from work to home) and I'd say do shift+window+left whilst the off screen program is selected to move it to another window.

worth trying windows+up arrow too - maximise - I once had a tiny window.