Sweden - coronavirus

malumbu

Most discussion are about how we should have lockdown harder, faster, tested particularly hospital workers. I've had my first with a mate on Sweden, who didn't go into lockdown.

I suspect it is to do with population density and the relative success of voluntary measures. An interesting piece by the LA Times from the Swedish ambassador has explained their measures - it isn't as simple as saying life has continued as normal. Business has been hit, less people traveling, increased unemployment, social distancing in restaurants, no gatherings over 50, higher education on line. I've not brought in health, longevity, DNA and the like.

A quick comparison, deaths per population

US 211

UK 423

Italy 481

Germany 83

Sweden 274

A compelling argument for German interventions! I've not brought population density into it, but see that Sweden has a low number of tests. The three day moving average suggests that the UK is further advanced into managing the crisis that Sweden.

I stopped at Germany as this was pretty telling. My point was that some are pointing out that Sweden has an ideal strategy. It doesn't, but I expect that the behaviour of the public and other factors have kept numbers down. Articles in the media were pretty light.

There are different strains of the virus, some deadlier than others.

Population density and the health of the population matters. Obesity, smoking and underlying health conditions are important re mortality rates.

Most importantly, this will run, sars cov 2 isn't going anywhere. Let's see the position in a few years time. Wouldn't be surprised to see convergence of all countries.