Poshest baby names in SE22

malumbu

This is a bit of fun, you can call your baby whatever you want, but...

I've just come across 'Otterly', not sure if it was a local parent. What other new/strange/posh names are now trending?

I said posh as a Google search came up with this name as number 20 in Mumsnet's top 20 poshest names in 2016 as reported in Marie Claire.

Repeat this is a bit of fun. Although I hope Boris never trends....

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/baby-names-here-are-the-20-poshest-12513

I wanted our first son to be called "Casper" but it was vetoed by SWNBO. So we agreed to propose 10 names each. I chose 9 which were totally outrageous ( eg Horace, Syd, Vince, etc etc) and the last was the one I wanted. I got it approved fairly quickly.

There were a lot of these posh kids running around the pubs of Lordship Lane before the lockdown, hopefully once its over these children will be fed and entertained at home in the future, or the parents fork out for a babysitter rather than rely on random drinkers to chaperone their children as they try and play hide and seek in the disabled toilets. I have a theory that the posher the name, the louder they are exclaimed across a busy pub so everyone who doesnt care has to hear, as a weird sort of status thing

The proliferation of these ludicrous names has been noted in the area, whereas once the standard posh name for a boy was 'Oscar' or 'Rupert', now you hear all sorts of silly stuff. I wouldnt be too worried about them getting bullied at school, those things are stamped out rather quickly in the fee paying schools in the Dulwich area.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What names do non-Posh children have ? You never

> hear of a Steven or Angela any more.

Ben, Tom, Darren, Tony, Gavin etc.

There was a jazz singer with Chris Barber called Ottilie Patterson and a sci fi film with Joan Collins in the 1970s and her character was Ottilie.

There was a girl at my sister's school called'Princess Diana'...really

Tatler's posh baby names

For girls

Alfreda

Blanche

Czar-Czar

Debonaire

Estonia

Figgy

Gethsemane

Hum

Idabelle

Jori

Koala

Lark

Monaveen

Nancy

Opal

Power

Queenie

Rara

Scar

Tansy

Una

Vervain

Wendy

Xanthe

Yellow

Zenia

For boys

Aubyn

Barclay

Cassar

David

Euripides

Fenston

Gustav

Hickman

Innsbruck

John

Kenneth

Ludlow

Mao

Npeter (the 'N' is silent)

Ormerod

Prince

Quail

Ra

Stourton

Titus

Uxorious

Victory

Wigbert

Xman

Yak

Zebedee

I actually found it difficult to come up with the childrens' names, as the nice ones had already been grabbed. Many others reminded me/us of people we disliked at school or a TV character. Zebedee in particularly due to the springy thing in the Magic Roundabout. I can't help but smile when I hear this name now but to a later generation there is not the same influences, of course it is a biblical name and can be abbreviated to Zeb. Sorry Zebedees out there.

Dylan was another one and going back to Porridge when Fletcher inquires of another prisoner (with long hair) why he is called Dylan. "After Bob Dylan, man". "I assumed it was the hippy rabbit in the Magic Roundabout". You wouldn't have a second thought now about this name.

Back to baby names there were ones that I liked but we could imagine how they could sound when pronounced more in the vernacular. Lovely French names can sound particularly bad. Of course the trick is to have a less exotic middle name. It's a sort of how would they pronounce it in East Enders.

My late father was a 'Guy' - he'd hated it as a kid "Guy Fawkes" and of course we hated it when at school people would mock for the same reason. Now it is such a cool name.

A bit of a soft target for the poshest name "Sextus". Although that in not in SE22 and goes beyond posh.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/898106-zebedee

I think (hope) Tarquin has been and gone. The first words I heard uttered on the morning after moving here 15 years ago, were in the old Blue Mountain Cafe where I went for a can't be bothered to unpack boxes breakfast. Upon opening the door I was met with a parent very loudly proclaiming ''Tarquin, hurry up and finish off your croissant!''.

My informative years of Ready Brek, central heating for kids, seemed a long way off...

Last summer, I was at a playground outside of London with my sons...and heard a mother shouting after her runaway toddler....called...."Bruce"

Im pretty sure most of my coffee got snorted out my nose....

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tatler's posh baby names

>

> For girls

>

> Alfreda

> Blanche

> Czar-Czar

> Debonaire

> Estonia

> Figgy

> Gethsemane

> Hum

> Idabelle

> Jori

> Koala

> Lark

> Monaveen

> Nancy

> Opal

> Power

> Queenie

> Rara

> Scar

> Tansy

> Una

> Vervain

> Wendy

> Xanthe

> Yellow

> Zenia

>

> For boys

>

> Aubyn

> Barclay

> Cassar

> David

> Euripides

> Fenston

> Gustav

> Hickman

> Innsbruck

> John

> Kenneth

> Ludlow

> Mao

> Npeter (the 'N' is silent)

> Ormerod

> Prince

> Quail

> Ra

> Stourton

> Titus

> Uxorious

> Victory

> Wigbert

> Xman

> Yak

> Zebedee

Looks like a selection from the Farrow & Ball colour chart.