Replace Sky Router with non-sky alternative

penfold

Evening all,

I have sky fibre max which had been running ok at 50-60 download and 20 upload. after some problems with Openreach I can now only get 0-20 download and about 10 up. as a family of 6 with two working parents and two teenagers this doesn't cut it. There seems to be no issue with speed from exchange to router - 60-70 every day until the issue last Thursday. Engineer reckons Router is an issue but no chance of getting through to Sky at the moment.

Has anyone replaced the Sky Router with a modem and alternative router? I have the ER110 from sky currently so ought to be fine but there is clearly some issue. beyond the right spec of gear, I understand that there is a certain degree of reconfiguring required to suck the VDSL username and password out of the existing router?

if anyone has done this or even has half an idea of what all that means, I would be most grateful. working from home and listening to endless complaints from hormonal teenagers is driving me even more mad than I was before....

Another option is to use the current Sky router to connect to another router as a bridge. This is done by using an Ethernet cable from the LAN port on both routers and setting up the new router to work in that way.

This way, you only use the Sky router as a modem, while the other router does all the other work.

thanks both - managed to get a new router out of Sky so i'll see if that makes any difference. there seems to be a bit of work by Openreach going on at the cabinet so will see once that has been completed. using the sky router as a bridge sounds like it could be the way forward.....