Finally a 'clear directive' from Boris on Covid-19

Art Deco Mark

Basically the advice was vague enough that Govt can never be held to account cos it's all down to interpretation.

Don't forget the mistakes made already are directing what the govt advises now, a swift change of course (to sensible protective arrangements) would raise too many obvious questions on inconsistency in Govt approach since Feb.

Donators, reputation and re-election are surely the key drivers now.

Art Deco Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "GO OUT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT BUT TRY NOT TO CATCH

> IT. GO TO WORK IF YOU WANT TO BUT BE CAREFUL.

> DON'T EVER SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU IF IT FLARES UP

> AGAIN, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I think this was what

> Boris was saying on Sunday or did I get it wrong?

Which part of it did you not understand, FGS?

Art Deco Mark Wrote:

> "GO OUT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT BUT TRY NOT TO CATCH

> IT. GO TO WORK IF YOU WANT TO BUT BE CAREFUL.

> DON'T EVER SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU IF IT FLARES UP

> AGAIN, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I think this was what

> Boris was saying on Sunday or did I get it wrong?

I don't blame him for giving out this message. A great many people have not followed the stay at home etc advice since day 1 and after the weekend trying to advise the Great British Public what to do is impossible....just pop over to Alleyns' field

The real reason why Wales is still 'staying at home'

https://news.sky.com/story/every-patient-was-a-drunk-injury-despair-over-bank-holiday-a-e-admissions-11986373

and Manchester

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/doctors-despair-boozy-bank-holiday-22002353

and the Tube

https://www.eagleradio.co.uk/news/uk-news/3100190/coronavirus-commuters-pack-london-tube-platforms-after-pms-lockdown-announcement/

If they all want to risk their necks and go out well then -let them. I'm going to look after myself and hope the reckless go back to work very soon

seenbeen Wrote:

> Art Deco Mark Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > "GO OUT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT BUT TRY NOT TO

> CATCH

> > IT. GO TO WORK IF YOU WANT TO BUT BE CAREFUL.

> > DON'T EVER SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU IF IT FLARES

> UP

> > AGAIN, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT" I think this was

> what

> > Boris was saying on Sunday or did I get it

> wrong?

>

> I don't blame him for giving out this message. A

> great many people have not followed the stay at

> home etc advice since day 1 and after the weekend

> trying to advise the Great British Public what to

> do is impossible....just pop over to Alleyns'

> field

> The real reason why Wales is still 'staying at

> home'

> https://news.sky.com/story/every-patient-was-a-dru

> nk-injury-despair-over-bank-holiday-a-e-admissions

> -11986373

> and Manchester

> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/doctors-desp

> air-boozy-bank-holiday-22002353

> and the Tube

> https://www.eagleradio.co.uk/news/uk-news/3100190/

> coronavirus-commuters-pack-london-tube-platforms-a

> fter-pms-lockdown-announcement/

>

>

> If they all want to risk their necks and go out

> well then -let them. I'm going to look after

> myself and hope the reckless go back to work very

> soon

Its not the 'reckless' that go back to work..those returning to work need the money and it states if the business asks you to go in and you refuse you won't get paid.

simple.

what a thoughtless offensive post!

anyone who can afford to stay at home would right now..do you think the staff if Sainsburys are 'reckless'

sorry but this has made me SO angry.

we dont all have the luxury of being able to work from home on a computer looking out at our pretty gardens and worrying about our holidays abroad.

And this is the dilemma for government NewWave, for all governments in fact. How long to stall the economy vs public health? Personally, I feel it is too early to start relaxing the lock down. We are not low enough on any graph yet, or high enough on testing, to prevent a new rise in cases (and deaths) leading to another lock down. But at the same time, we have an economy that only holds together if people can earn money, buy and sell. I don't have the answer to that any more than the government does. If this virus were causing death equally across age and demographics, we would have no option but to shut everything down. But even with the factors as they are, there is going to be no return to things as they were, until we either develop a vaccine that works or the virus itself disappears. And who knows what the politic impacts and ramifications of that will be long term.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> And this is the dilemma for government NewWave,

> for all governments in fact. How long to stall the

> economy vs public health? Personally, I feel it is

> too early to start relaxing the lock down. We are

> not low enough on any graph yet, or high enough on

> testing, to prevent a new rise in cases (and

> deaths) leading to another lock down. But at the

> same time, we have an economy that only holds

> together if people can earn money, buy and sell. I

> don't have the answer to that any more than the

> government does. If this virus were causing death

> equally across age and demographics, we would have

> no option but to shut everything down. But even

> with the factors as they are, there is going to be

> no return to things as they were, until we either

> develop a vaccine that works or the virus itself

> disappears. And who knows what the politic impacts

> and ramifications of that will be long term.

Your appraisal of the situation is absolutely spot on - informed, reasoned, and well balanced.

It is a pleasure to read your objective analysis about CV19 rather than the tribalistic political vitriol that is spewed by the regular suspects on this forum.

Yes, blah speaks the truth. Whether this is the right time to relax restrictions is a matter of opinion (I also believe that the numbers have not yet tailed off enough). But it is undeniably true that it's a balancing act - and a very tricky one.

Of course in absolute terms lives are more important than the economy. It's easy for me to say that, sitting at home working on full pay, sipping a coffee in my dressing gown. But the economy is not just about statistics and national debt for politicians to argue over. It's about people suffering financial hardship, losing businesses they've worked their entire life for, major employers disappearing. There does eventually come a point where the balance of the greater good starts shifting towards these things.

NewWave Wrote:

> Its not the 'reckless' that go back to work..those

> returning to work need the money and it states if

> the business asks you to go in and you refuse you

> won't get paid.

I'm lucky in that an email has stated exactly the opposite for us - anyone uncomfortable can stay at home.

We're lucky in that most can work from home anyway.

It's incredibly difficult if you are told to go to work and you are uncomfortable about it.

my friend is a primary school teacher and her husband has Huntington's Disease, she is incredibly worried about passing the virus to him and scared about losing her job if she says she is not comfortable going back to work.

It's incredibly scary as - while I know the plans, I don't see practically how social distancing with little kids can work and can't offer much reassurance.

They live in a small house so social distancing at her home would be nearly impossible.

This is going to be the same dilemma for many adults and children alike. I did read a news article this morning reporting that many parents are going to refuse to send their children back to school in June. Overcoming the genuine founded fear is perhaps going to be a bigger hurdle for the economy than anything government now says perhaps. It may also be that government is predicting a significant fall in infection and deaths by then.

And thank you for the kind comments above. In truth everyone has a point, from those too scared to go back to work, to those who must, and those who just don't see a problem. My reading of government thinking at this point is that people should be able to determine their own fate on the level of risk. But if that is the way the government want to play it, then people really must be free to decide and not be penalised if they err on the side of caution. And of course, this could all go very wrong if the infection rate picks up again. It could be as much as two weeks after new infections before we see if it does, and by then it is too late. Hence my confusion at doing this before a comprehensive test, track and trace programme is in place. We shall see.

I don't fully agree with how it's been communicated. But this thread is an example of the ridiculous. It's funny how (according to an observer survey) most leavers agree with Boris and most leavers don't.....bias in the extreme....