Free Travel (Freedom Pass) Over 60's Suspended

DulwichFox

Sadiq Khan has announced that Free Travel (Freedom Pass) for Over 60's has been Suspended for peak hour travel.

This means that elderly people using Sainsbury's 08.00 - 09.00 will not be able to use the bus.

If they do not drive they will have to walk and carry their shopping back home.

What a disgrace Khan is.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sadiq Khan has announced that Free Travel (Freedom

> Pass) for Over 60's has been Suspended for peak

> hour travel.

>

> This means that elderly people using Sainsbury's

> 08.00 - 09.00 will not be able to use the bus.

>

> If they do not drive they will have to walk and

> carry their shopping back home.

>

> What a disgrace Khan is.

>

> DulwichFox

This was clearly part of the terms and conditions in return for government funding, Khan didn't come up with this himself!

Freedom Pass

@FreedomPassLDN

We're aware of the recent announcement regarding the TfL bailout. Restrictions on the use of Freedom Passes have not come into effect, so you can carry on using your pass as before. Any changes to the scheme will be published on the London Councils website.

12:59 pm ? 15 May 2020?TweetDeck

From what I understood from yesterdays announcement, part of the deal is that "free" buses are to cease and travellers will be expected to swipe their oyster cards. Unless they install oyster readers in by the middle doors, not sure how they'll make this work.

ALSO.. at a time when people are being told NOT to use public transport unless absolutely essential,

People were being encouraged to use their cars and the congestion charge relaxed..

Now ... Congestion Charge back with a 30% rise to ?15.00 and hours extended..

Sadiq Khan's Draconian Policies are doing Nothing to help London's Businesses and the well being

of everyone in these very troubled times.

He has long been totally obsessed with schemes to generate income from the motorist with Charges

for Congestion, ULEZ, Parking, Fines..

.. all of which have destroyed many local businesses not only here in East Dulwich, but over all of London.

The man is truly a Saboteur. A Destructive person who I find Sinister.

..and we are stuck with him for another Year.

DulwichFox.

ETA.. When it comes down to Car ownership. ? I gave up my car in Feb 2019 and rely on public transport

and walking.

The mayoralty should be given more powers or disbanded. Regardless of who?s wearing the robes of office (Khan and Johnson are/were just not very good) it resembles a glorified tourist office with a hotchpotch of ?powers? that don?t amount to the impression it likes to give.

maxxi Wrote:

> 0/10 DF - you sad little arse.

Well.. I have diabetes... High Blood Pressure ... Asthma ... Problems with my Pancreas (two operations)

I am waiting for the results of a brain scan, Poor eyesight (not able to drive)

Muscle atrophy..

At times I rely on the Bus.

I do not give shit what you think. What ever you currently call yourself on here.

Fox

Well said Foxy. Like you I have many of you complaints.

When they are young and so far up there own arse wait till they get old and fight to keep up with all the price rises where every penny counts.

They wont be so smart then.

DulwichFox Wrote:

.. When it comes down to Car ownership. ? I

> gave up my car in Feb 2019 and rely on public

> transport

> and walking.

You gave up the car for health reasons, right Foxy ?

Not not for the environment or community.

KidKruger Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> .. When it comes down to Car ownership. ? I

> > gave up my car in Feb 2019 and rely on public

> > transport

> > and walking.

>

> You gave up the car for health reasons, right Foxy

> ?

> Not not for the environment or community.

No .. My car was 26 years old.. The tyres were ok as far as tread was concerned but were very old

and needed replacing, thinning walls. The tyres were no longer available (QwikFit)

The water bottle (For windscreen washers) had split and the pump burnt out.

Not practical to repair.

Would not pass current ULEZ regs..

With the threat of CPZ being imposed and the problems with Parking in the area generally

when returning from shopping,

After my mother died in 2012 I no longer used my car. < 500 miles a year. (Not much of an impact on the environment)

PLUS I had my freedom pass since 2014.

My Eyesight is poor but can be corrected with new lenses and at sometime Cataract operation.

(not needed at this time)

But not available at the moment due to the virus and Opticians being closed.

So once again, as usual, your assumptions are wrong..

Have you not got a Cat you can kick ???

Fox.

well actually Foxy I wasn't having a go just seeking clarification, because reading your email it could be construed that you're saying you gave up the car as some kind of sacrifice for the greater good, but I think I remember you posting previously that you'd given up your car due to ill health / eyesight issues. Thats all.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> So once again, as usual, your assumptions are

> wrong..

And calling Khan a disgrace for the suspension of the Freedom Pass was wrong.

He had no choice, Gov insisted that he did or else no bailout to cope with the effects of the pandemic.

Feel free to retract...

The government withdrew funding from TFL a few years back. This is the only country that does not have a government subsidised transport system.

The fares have been frozen as part of the Mayor's pledge and the free travel for pensioners and school kids was at the Mayor's request.

It is the government who has stipulated the fares freeze must end and that free travel is finished.

WHO do you think is going to fund the government furlough funding and other bailouts?

Expect tax increases and all sorts of other lovely stuff.

Freedom Pass is a concessionary travel scheme, which began in 1973, to provide free travel to residents of Greater London, England, who are aged 60 and over (eligibility age increasing by phases to 66 by 2020) or who have a disability. The scheme is funded by local authorities and coordinated by London Councils. Originally the pass was a paper ticket, but since 2004 it has been encoded on to a contactless smartcard compatible with Oyster card readers.

Why was there no problems before Khan took over?

Perhaps the Gov should have audited the books more closely,

Pensioners have never been a problem with cost. Since when did Khan run Southwark Council who issue the freedom pass?

Khan has always claimed credit for the 'Freedom Pass' Even if HE did not bring it in originally.

But now.. All of a Sudden, The Freedom Pass has Nothing to do with Him.. Out of His control.

Hypocrite ..

Need to get him out. Has too much Power.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> The government withdrew funding from TFL a few

> years back. This is the only country that does not

> have a government subsidised transport system.

>

> The fares have been frozen as part of the Mayor's

> pledge and the free travel for pensioners and

> school kids was at the Mayor's request.

>

> It is the government who has stipulated the fares

> freeze must end and that free travel is finished.

>

> WHO do you think is going to fund the government

> furlough funding and other bailouts?

> Expect tax increases and all sorts of other lovely

> stuff.

There are enough passengers on TFL to fund the service if many people did not evade fares. Also the free travel for kids has encouraged them to hop on for 1 or 2 stops and their parents to choose schools miles away.....does nothing to combat obesity or cut down air pollution.

TFL fund the 60+ pass

FREEDOM PASS: BOROUGH HANDBOOK

Section A: Overview of scheme

1. The Freedom Pass scheme provides free travel to older and eligible disabled

London residents on almost all London?s public transport. It is the most extensive

concessionary fares scheme in the country, in terms of scope, benefits offered

and quality of transport provided.

2. The Freedom Pass gives free travel 24 hours a day to eligible residents on all

Transport for London (TfL) bus, rail, light rail and tram services (regardless of

their location) and some National Rail services in Greater London and after

9.30am on almost all the remainder of National Rail in Greater London and

independently operated bus services in Greater London (appendix C gives details

of National Rail services). A half fare concession is provided on TfL river services

and the cable car. The Freedom Pass is largely funded by boroughs with grant

support from Government. TfL fund the concession for older people in the

weekday morning peak on TfL services (between 04:30 and 09:00) and this

accounts for around 5% of the cost of the concession overall. TfL also fund the

new 60+ pass which provides travel concessions in London for people over 60

who are not yet eligible for the Freedom Pass.

3. Freedom Pass is managed on behalf of London boroughs by London Councils

under the terms of section 244 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999 and the

Transport and Environment Committee agreement. This includes card production

and administration, database and reimbursement of transport operators