We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
messageRe: Free Travel (Freedom Pass) Over 60's Suspended
Posted by DulwichFox May 23, 08:27AM

Yawn...

Posted by seenbeen May 23, 10:25AM

Instead of politicising everything maybe we should blame the REAL culprits.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

and when they aer challenged
[www.mylondon.news]

Posted by ctovey May 23, 06:55PM

Just a quick update - London Councils have not yet had clarification from TFL and Dept of Transport as to what the restrictions will be on use of Freedom Passes, so they can still be used as usual

Posted by NewWave May 23, 09:26PM

ctovey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a quick update - London Councils have not yet
> had clarification from TFL and Dept of Transport
> as to what the restrictions will be on use of
> Freedom Passes, so they can still be used as usual

I hope this is true-as I've heard only after 9.30am which scuppers me going into work

Posted by ctovey May 23, 11:19PM

Posted by Cyclemonkey May 24, 11:35AM

Plenty of people work low paid jobs and do not get free travel, what makes working over 60s so special?

Posted by KidKruger May 24, 01:02PM

Cyclemonkey, I don't think anyone is saying over 60's are "so special".
From memory I think the 60 age threshold was originally because that's the earliest recognised retirement age (or was then) ie. for women. For blokes it's/was 65, but they could apply at 60 like their retiring women counterparts (I believe, Not sure if for blokes it was held at 65 threshold).
But the fact probably is that when you subscribe to the benefit, then have it taken away, it has an impact.
Recognising that impact doesn't translate to anyone saying one group of people is "special".

Posted by DulwichFox May 24, 01:15PM

I seem to remember rightly or wrongly that MY Freedom Pass was not issued to me until I was 61 or 62 .

Foxy

Posted by Cyclemonkey May 24, 03:20PM

Indeed, but it was only recently the freedom pass became valid before 9.30am - hence the bus driver nickname for freedom pass holders "twirlies" - derived from the enquiry "am i too early?"

Posted by NewWave May 24, 08:22PM

Cyclemonkey Wrote:
> Plenty of people work low paid jobs and do not get
> free travel, what makes working over 60s so
> special?

Most people still working who are over 60 are probably like myself in low paid jobs.
The free travel makes a real difference to my weekly outgoings as I tavel from zone 3 to zone 1.
Chances are people in well paid jobs are more likely to have the option to retire at 60 as I have a few friends my age where once they hit 60 they were able to take their company pension and retire
lots of us in shop work, cleaning,catering etc have to wait until we get our state pension before we can retire.

Posted by womanofdulwich May 24, 09:44PM

I think its only public servants in reality that retire at 60. The rest of us will have to wait. As we all know our private pensions have just dropped by a third,so we'll be work ing till we're 68 ( assuming we can find anyone to take us on).

Posted by DulwichFox May 24, 10:22PM

womanofdulwich Wrote:
> I think its only public servants in reality that
> retire at 60. The rest of us will have to wait. As
> we all know our private pensions have just
> dropped by a third,so we'll be work ing till we're
> 68 ( assuming we can find anyone to take us on).

I retired at 56. That was after 40 years to the Day. 16 - 56. So got no pension for 4 years.

Done my bit.

Foxy

Posted by Cyclemonkey May 25, 07:48AM

I can tell you it's been a while since most public servants have been able to retire at 60. Like most of my generation I am looking at a retirement age of 68 ( probably higher in future).

Posted by womanofdulwich May 25, 10:02AM

Cycle monkey, I think you're right there, but I know a lot of civil servants that took early retirement in their mid 50's. They were offered such good terms. They said they could not say no, but then they can still have a parttime job.

Posted by Pugwash May 25, 01:56PM

I had a Disabled Person Freedom Bus Pass for around 15/20 years which at the age of 60 was converted to the Older Person's card. I worked until I was 66 but was an essential car user, but used Pass if I had to go to visit places where parking was impossible i.e. Walworth Road/Camberwell/Peckham areas. I use the car at least once a week mainly for supermarket shop. If I shop in LL or Rye lane - I use Freedom Pass.

Posted by malumbu May 25, 03:00PM

Pension arrangements in the civil service were changed several years ago moving to a career average pension and the national retirement age. Older workers retained some or all rights, less old had some transition arrangement, oddly shown to be illegal following a challenge by the Fire Brigades Union. [www.fbu.org.uk] (The 50/55 retirement age mentioned is just for fire fighters)

Many went in the purges under the coalition government as numbers were drastically cut. So often a case that a civil servant over 50 could not necessarily afford to retire, but when offered a severance deal....

These compensation arrangements were pared in part due to a populist Daily Mail type campaign. Gold plated pensions were all for those starting pre-87 (they were the oft quoted figures in the Mail/Express)so had largely gone by the time of the coalition.

Of course civil servants used to look jealously at the police and NHS pensions, so everything in relative. And working alongside people in heavy engineering when that went through the floor in the early 90s, boy did they get some good deals.

Sadly the world is now very different.

Posted by Bic Basher May 25, 10:57PM

A couple of points:

TfL will inform passengers when the Freedom Pass is restricted. It isn't yet, so can still be used as now during the morning peak on TfL modes only (Buses, London Overground, tube, DLR and TfL Rail), then on National Rail services from 0930.

There's legislation in place where TfL can't ban evening peak travel with the pass. This would lead to otherwise pensioners outside London would be allowed to ride buses while locals would pay fares.

The Freedom Pass offers more to London pensioners than those outside London where passes are restricted to 0930-2300 on weekdays, some councils offer discounted or free rail travel within their local area, but otherwise it's a poorer deal than we get.

Posted by seenbeen June 05, 10:25AM

Official notice from TfL -as from June 15th Freedom Passes and 60+ passes cannot be used on TfL from 0430 to 0900

Posted by DulwichFox June 05, 10:52AM

How can the Elderly who have Freedom Passes travel during those times..

I.E. Hospital appointments and the like.

Can they Pay and if so How ??

You cannot pay cash on the bus.

DulwichFox

Posted by seenbeen June 05, 10:59AM

There are suggestions like using an Oyster card etc

[www.london.gov.uk]

Disabled passes are exempt which is something I suppose

Posted by ianr June 05, 06:30PM

DulwichFox wrote:

> Can they Pay and if so How ??
>
> You cannot pay cash on the bus.
>
Pretending you're a visitor to london seems to provide the most explicit information: [tfl.gov.uk].

Posted by Bic Basher June 07, 05:14PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> How can the Elderly who have Freedom Passes travel
> during those times..
>
> I.E. Hospital appointments and the like.
>
> Can they Pay and if so How ??
>
> You cannot pay cash on the bus.
>
> DulwichFox

Contactless payment using a card or phone would be the easiest way.

Posted by sally buying June 07, 05:50PM

Has any thought been given to the fact older people do not have all this kit.

Perhaps a little thought might be in order.

Posted by Sue June 10, 09:03PM

Can't see a thread relating to the under eighteen travel issue, so posting this here.

It's a petition asking the government to save the under-eighteens bus pass:

[action.labour.org.uk]

Posted by Bic Basher June 12, 05:55PM

The free bus passes for children was a Red Ken pledge which was kept by Boris surprisingly and then Sadiq until the cuts were imposed by the government.

Local authorities are required by law to provide free travel to school age children for up to three miles from home to school, which will put another dent into Southwark's budget which will replace the current TfL funded passes.

Posted by singalto June 15, 10:26PM

Most children havent been going to school..

Posted by uraniumman June 25, 10:40AM

That wasn't very well thought through. He needs a strong nudge.

Posted by seenbeen June 25, 05:01PM

The under 18s bus pass has drawbacks.
I have seen them jumping on buses to go 1 or 2 stops.
There is NO encouragement to go to school locally
Travelling a long way to go to school is miserable

Posted by alexisavi July 03, 12:10PM

thanks

Posted by womanofdulwich July 03, 02:49PM

I thought the free school travel was if the school was not within walking distance? Like 2-3 miles? We used to cycle that far to school when I lived in the countryside (a while ago...).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum