Where can I buy catfish to eat around here ?

KidKruger

Just finished off my last of catfish which was from Brixton markets a few weeks ago (frozen obvs).

Don't really wanna go that far so anyone know if I can get it around here, ideally whole, and fresh or frozen ?

Perhaps Peckham - ideally name / location of a shop so I can go direct rather than close-distance-trawl through 10 shops trying to find the critter !

Ta.

Thanks yourmomma - I checked Sainsbos website and Basa seems to come in fillets, I need whole fish which I was thinking Peckham probably likely. I need skin on fish to handle the fry.

I've amended OP now to clarify that I need whole fish.

thanks yeah I know that one Wing Tai, went the other evening but was shut, will try again.

mancity68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Chinese/Vietnamese fish shop in Peckham down

> the side of Morrisons? Opposite Primark? Usually

> pretty good stock.

I'd be careful shopping in Peckham right now, no one there gives a damn about social distancing and people seem more interested in arguing with one another or shop staff than not catching a deadly virus which has had a big effect in the area (15 people have died in the Queens Road Peckham area alone).

Maybe try giving Sopers a ring on Nunhead lane KK. They have the 2m rule on queuing in effect and even if they don't have it in, I am sure they can get what you want in. They are an old style fishmonger, so go to the fish market every morning.

This is their phone number 020 7639 9729

Give them a call and tell them what you want. I am sure they can get it for you.

Freshwater species like catfish are not that common.. I would be quite impressed if you managed to find it fresh, but of course happy to be proved wrong.

Of course one option would be to substitute with another firm white fish, fresh from the market or fishmongers. How close would something like haddock be to catfish?

Hi fishbiscuits, you are probably correct about the difficulty in finding fresh catfish, but that?s okay I had a frozen one before which is fine. I actually made an out of this world dish with frozen (see pic !).

BTW I?m not sure what the definition of ?white fish? means, but the one we ate recently was not white in colour (I don?t know if the definition is meant to specify the actual physical colour of the fish meat).