Birthday dinner delivery

mancity68

So, I went for Persepolis in the end and was not disappointed. ?28 for dinner for two and it was an absolute feast with plenty leftover for tomorrow.

Babur will be saved for another day.

Two other fancy options I found. Artusi do a delivery, as does Cafe Murano in Bermondsey. Both are a bit more 'cook it yourself' but look good.

LJC56 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We had a celebration meal from Artusi and it was

> excellent. Easy to cook and large portions, plenty

> for the next day.

What is the point of ordering a meal that you have to cook yourself. ??

How does that work ??

Foxy

mancity68 Wrote:

> So, I went for Persepolis in the end and was not

> disappointed. ?28 for dinner for two and it was an

> absolute feast with plenty leftover for tomorrow.

I had a look on their website, it sounds amazing. Will have to give it a go.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> What is the point of ordering a meal that you have to cook yourself. ??

I suppose the logic is that it's nicer than something that was cooked half an hour ago and has been sitting in a plastic container and swished around by a delivery driver. But I too would be interested to hear how much cooking is involved.

Wrote:

> mancity68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So, I went for Persepolis in the end and was

> not

> > disappointed. ?28 for dinner for two and it was

> an

> > absolute feast with plenty leftover for

> tomorrow.

>

> I had a look on their website, it sounds amazing.

> Will have to give it a go.

>

>

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What is the point of ordering a meal that you

> have to cook yourself. ??

>

> I suppose the logic is that it's nicer than

> something that was cooked half an hour ago and has

> been sitting in a plastic container and swished

> around by a delivery driver. But I too would be

> interested to hear how much cooking is involved.

So, what was delivered was a fully prepared meal ready to slip into the oven, and 40 minutes later, voila! Someone else therefore, had prepared the chicken, and the veg, added herbs and seasoning, made focaccia and also made a chocolate mousse. It is probably a moot point if what we had to do was ?cooking? but it wasn?t reheating so that is why I said cooking. Hope that helps. And just to say, as well as all the prep having been done, the most wonderful thing was eating something where I didn?t know how it was going to taste before sitting down to eat it, something I hadn?t done for any meal, for five weeks! However good a cook you are, if you taste as you go, for seasoning etc, you are always going to know what it will taste like. And bonus, we supported our favourite restaurant and can?t wait to be back there.

Another vote for artusi (my birthday dinner of lockdown) - we had a delicious burrata with peas, cooked fresh pasta (4 mins in boiling water?) then drained and added the sauce as a stir through. For desert a delicious panna cotta and coulis with pistachio biscotti. It was wonderful, opened a nice bottle of red and said lots of ?oh yum?s. Excellent as the nights are getting warmer too - I hope they keep it up post lockdown!!

LJC56 Wrote:

> So, what was delivered was a fully prepared meal

> ready to slip into the oven, and 40 minutes later,

> voila!

KrackersMaracas Wrote:

> Another vote for artusi (my birthday dinner of

> lockdown)

Thanks both, sounds like just the ticket!

Been to the Babur since the 90s and seen the popularity, quality and prices go up in that time. It is a treat but not a treat for my wallet! May stick my neck out some time and get some high quality takeaway from there but it will seem strange paying so much.

That said I don't eat meat and have not found a good takeaway in the area. The Indian stuff is slop. Chinese vegetarian an afterthought. Kebab shops exactly that - meat kababs. For a pizza may as well get a supermarket one.

I've done street food for lunch at various markets but not sure if any of the takeaways around here can match that eg even the falafels cannot compete. (shop bought ones even worse, but the dry mixes are great) Found this thread interesting and have yet to try Persepolis - was on my list for a bite to eat. And not done Ganesh yet. I wonder whether we are near enough to Tooting to try some of the places there and there will be other places eg Vietnamese and some fusion which could be good