We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://avakitchens.co.uk

All Round Renovation

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
messageRe: Is Boris fit to lead?
Posted by malumbu May 23, 11:37AM

Eminent epidemiologist made to jump before he was pushed because press wanted some salacious gossip.

Scottish public servant does the right thing after not following her own public guidance and quits.

I don't care is Cummings jumps or is pushed, one or the other is right.

Posted by JohnL May 23, 12:00PM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> diable rouge Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For me it's the lack of recognition from the
> Gov
> > that they've made mistakes, spinning
> yesterday's
> > U-turn on the NHS surcharge as a sign of
> Johnson's
> > 'strength', being typical.
> > This from former diplomat Peter Ricketts...
> >
> > The Government would win so much respect if
> they
> > admitted, just sometimes, that they had made a
> > mistake and were correcting it. That would be a
> > sign of strength not weakness.
>
> If corbyn had removed the surcharge it would be
> evidence of awesome he is.
>
> Now that Boris has...it's a U-turn, or he's been
> 'forced" into it.....
>
> Government has done something that the left wants,
> and the left still find a way to have a go...

That's the culture of British politics

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 12:33PM

It's not (or at least it shouldn't be) about right v left, rather right v wrong.
And it's those that are in the wrong that invariably give it the political culture war spin...

Posted by JohnL May 23, 12:42PM

Posted by Blah Blah May 23, 12:56PM

Boris U-turned, and it WAS a U-turn, because of pressure from a good chunk of his own MPs. Obfuscating about that, instead of calling it what it is, is part of the problem with political discourse.

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 01:03PM

There's so much stinking, rank hypocrisy in what Cummings did it's hard to know where to begin, but rather delicious learning that one of his undoings is his wife's 'London Lockdown diary' for the Spectator...

Posted by Blah Blah May 23, 01:44PM

Cummings has to resign, but he won't.

Posted by dbboy May 23, 01:44PM

Agreed.

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 02:44PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
> Cummings has to resign, but he won't.

I don't think Johnson et al would let him resign even in the unlikely event he offered to, because they are complicit in that they knew what he had done, yet at the same time they kept telling the rest of us to do the opposite. It's also a big gamble by ministers to publicly back Cummings today, because if there's more to come out in the following days it would bring the Gov down...

Posted by JohnL May 23, 03:11PM

Guardian getting the correct question that the political correspondents seem unable to ask

"Among them, why is Cummings being excused for reportedly breaching lockdown rules due to needing help with childcare, when for the last nine weeks parents up and down the country have struggled without help while they suffered symptoms because they didn’t feel they could seek or accept help because it was against the rules? And if it was indeed fine all along, why wasn’t clear guidance on this subject given to the broader population?"

Posted by Sephiroth May 23, 03:47PM

Didn’t some scottish minister do something similar a couple of weeks into lockdown - big hoo hah followed and they resigned. It’s really simple

But in England, it’s just not done anymore

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 04:06PM

Johnson missing again, everyone check their fridges...

Posted by dbboy May 23, 04:35PM

So, what's it to you where he is or what he's doing, he's possibly still recovering, enjoying being a father supporting his partner, oh and don't forget it's a bank holiday weekend, so maybe he's at Chequers this weekend. Is that OK with you??

Posted by seenbeen May 23, 05:22PM

No need for him to resign- 24th March from newschain.co.uk
'However, Dr Jenny Harries said at the daily Downing Street press briefing on March 24 that a small child could be considered “vulnerable”.

“Clearly if you have adults who are unable to look after a small child, that is an exceptional circumstance,” she said.

“And if the individuals do not have access to care support – formal care support – or to family, they will be able to work through their local authority hubs.”'

I'm sure Boris will appear to talk to us about something soon. This is like when he didn't visit flood areas...the people who lived there didn't care as he is not an expert on floods

Posted by JohnL May 23, 05:42PM

There was a brother in law in London - support was available much closer to home. Rumours of a death in the family in Durham too. Finally his wife wrote a piece in the Spectator about what they dd when they suffered from COVID-19 - but nothing about Durham mentioned - why ?

Shapps didn't seem to be able to answer much - a lot of "I don't know" and tried hopefully to talk about an upgrade to the A66 or some such.

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 05:54PM

dbboy Wrote:
> So, what's it to you where he is or what he's
> doing, he's possibly still recovering, enjoying
> being a father supporting his partner, oh and
> don't forget it's a bank holiday weekend, so maybe
> he's at Chequers this weekend. Is that OK with
> you?

Good point, wish I had thought of all that, let me send Covid-19 a memo to take the bank holiday weekend off...

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 06:06PM

seenbeen Wrote:

> “Clearly if you have adults who are unable to look
> after a small child, that is an exceptional
> circumstance,” she said.

Well it's certainly exceptional to be unable to look after a child yet clearly be able to drive a car 250+ miles on a 5+ hour journey.

> I'm sure Boris will appear to talk to us about
> something soon. This is like when he didn't visit
> flood areas...the people who lived there didn't
> care as he is not an expert on floods

I hear he's been spotted at Currys...

Posted by Blah Blah May 23, 07:14PM

Any defense of Cummings here is clutching at straws. He is a hypocrite, and those defending him are also hypocrites. He is a highly paid government official. He could have paid for his child to be transported anywhere. And he didn't just merely go and drop the child off. He was seen playing with the child in his parent's back garden. He did all this knowing he had the virus. Not only did he break the rules, he put his parents at risk. This is a man that sits in on SAGE meetings for goodness sake. He is a control freak and Johnson is so reliant on him that he can not get rid of him. You have to ask, just who is the real PM?

Posted by JohnL May 23, 07:58PM

Brilliantly played by the media.

They allowed all the government to come up with excuses as to why Cummings was in Durham.

Then release that he did it agin 2 weeks later for the Sundays. Well Played.

Posted by Blah Blah May 23, 08:24PM

Yes and another story of a day out emerging too. Cummings still won't go unless pushed though and personally, I don't think Johnson has the balls to fire him. So be it on his head when the opposition play this for all it is worth.

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 08:31PM

This must be why it was billed as a joint investigation by different newspapers. 3D chess...smiling smiley

Posted by diable rouge May 23, 09:33PM

diable rouge Wrote:
> It's also a big gamble by ministers to publicly back Cummings
> today, because if there's more to come out in the
> following days it would bring the Gov down...

And here's the list of those that did and didn't. Johnson in the No camp, so hiding in fridges has it's uses, who knew!...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYuI_esXYAEEm8H?format=png&name=900x900

Posted by dbboy May 23, 09:54PM

You're being plain daft with such a comment

diable rouge Wrote:
> dbboy Wrote:
> -----
> > So, what's it to you where he is or what he's
> > doing, he's possibly still recovering, enjoying
> > being a father supporting his partner, oh and
> > don't forget it's a bank holiday weekend, so
> maybe
> > he's at Chequers this weekend. Is that OK with
> > you?
>
> Good point, wish I had thought of all that, let me
> send Covid-19 a memo to take the bank holiday
> weekend off...

Posted by dbboy May 23, 09:55PM

Have you got nothing better to do all day and making snide comments,

diable rouge Wrote:
> diable rouge Wrote:
> -----
> > It's also a big gamble by ministers to publicly
> back Cummings
> > today, because if there's more to come out in
> the
> > following days it would bring the Gov down...
>
> And here's the list of those that did and didn't.
> Johnson in the No camp, so hiding in fridges has
> it's uses, who knew!...
>
> [pbs.twimg.com]
> =png&name=900x900

Posted by Blah Blah May 23, 10:38PM

Have you ddboy? Any idea how tedious it is to see civil and interesting conversations being derailed by cries of 'RED FLAG' playground sneers? Give it a rest eh?

Posted by diable rouge May 24, 12:14AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYu82l4X0AA7D9b?format=jpg&name=small

Posted by Seabag May 24, 10:19AM

It’s all getting a bit Animal Farm

So it’s hardly surprising that people are not following the rules, because you have a government who themselves won’t follow the guidelines. Johnson has a track record of doing what the f he wants, leaning into the boundaries of what’s right and wrong, he’s surrounded himself with similar enabling people.

It’s similar across the pond, only we’re a bit more Dads Army about it, look at track & trace, it’s miles too late and still chaotic.

And where’s the R rate right now?

Posted by diable rouge May 24, 10:49AM

I hope the Sunday Times' investigation into the Gov's dithering that led to so many avoidable deaths, doesn't get lost in the Cummings feeding frenzy. Utterly damning...

Posted by uncleglen May 24, 11:30AM

I went to the post office on the 14th April because I needed a proof of posting. I was appalled at the lack of social distancing and the pavements were more crammed than on a Saturday....so yet again the Reds of ED are ONLY picking out the Tories- let me remind you that Boris has an 80 seat majority....he has done Brexit....and the whole world is in the midst of a pandemic because of the dishonesty of China and the collusion of the WHO....btw- the brilliant film Contagion is on Netflix- I suggest you all watch it and be grateful that covid 19 is not worse than it is....

Posted by Sephiroth May 24, 11:42AM

".he has done Brexit." well - we are out of the EU legally

But we aren't in practice because we are in an extendted transition. A transition which will need to be extended again by at least 1 year

beacuse a) brexit was and remains a ludicrous idea in practice and b) should he decline an extension he will be responsible for the break up of the UK, damage british countries for at least a decade and in the middle of a pandemeic likely cause the deaths of many more people unnecessarily as supply chains get knocked to smithereens. He has already thrown NI unionists under the bus - fishermen and farmers are next

YOu can remind me of his majority all you like but he was up against Corbyn so what could anyone expect. And just a reminder that Blair and his involvement in Iraq was widely condemned afterwards but was supported by 2/3rds of the country for a while - so quoting maths and majorities is meaningless when faced with a changing world

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum