Really Tall Trees Obstructing The View

Ronnijade

Who do we contact to trim down the trees along the bottom of our garden/neighbouring gardens? Not cut down completely, just trim a few metres off the top. They?re SOOOO tall they obstruct a lot of the sun and our view across London. :(

Whatever is growing in a neighbour?s garden cannot be touched without their permission, unless it is overhanging into your garden in which case you are allowed to trim back to the boundary but legally must offer them back what you have cut.

If the tree is a protected species you cannot touch it and if your neighbour agrees you will require the services of a tree surgeon. If not protected then you need to negotiate with your neighbour.

There are maximum heights for hedges and so on but again these kinds of boundary issue can get heated. A lot will depend on your neighbours and how sympathetic they are.

I suspect there may be no statute law provision concerning overhanging trees. Whether statute or common law, it doesn't really matter here anyway: the OP is about "high hedges" and the blocking of light. About that, you could start at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-hedges-complaining-to-the-council/high-hedges-complaining-to-the-council and then, if relevant, see what Southwark's website has to say.

Hi Ronnijade,

sorry your post is not very clear.Whose property are they on? If they are in your garden then you need to find a tree surgeon for advice/quote. If in a neighbouring property, than the owner of the land. They may be not interested in doing s crown/height reduction of the trees. Do they undermine the structure of your or neighbouring homes? If they are very old trees they may have a protection order on them. You should be able to establish who the owner is via the Land Registry.

Hi all. I didn?t mean to offend anyone lol, and certainly wasn?t insinuating that I was going to cut down neighbours trees and chuck them over their fence...

Sorry if my post wasn?t clear. We have trees at the bottom of OUR garden that definitely need trimming down. Looks like we?ll have to contact a tree surgeon as you all have pointed out. Thanks for the helpful comments. :)

Wow, that's spooky !!

How did you know ?!

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've got a chainsaw you can borrow.

>

> Is it from Texas ?

> Is there going to be Claret spilled good and

> proper ?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wow, that's spooky !!

> How did you know ?!

>

>

> Spartacus Wrote:

> -----

> > KidKruger Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I've got a chainsaw you can borrow.

> >

> > Is it from Texas ?

> > Is there going to be Claret spilled good and

> > proper ?

I saw you buying a human skin face mask in Farmers which I assumed was for Covid till I put 2 and 2 together 😱