Is lockdown in ED basically over?

klove

Just wondering... lots of our neighbours are having friends and family over, one set of neighbours is packing their kids off to grandparents for a few days and the parks are heaving. Don't blame anyone for being fed up with it all... but can't help but think they're relying on the rest of us to keep to the rules to stop a second-wave. (Or I am just being a sucker - if Dominic Cummings can do, why can't we all? Arggh)

If you feel ill with flu like symptoms you should self isolate, for 7-14 days.

If you feel fine, and meet people outside, then following the underlying 'rules' - maintain a 2 metre distance, don't share e.g. food and wash hands thoroughly (avoiding touching your face) and you and the people you meet will actually be OK - however many you 'meet' with. The difficulty is remembering the basics, which is why the government's advice is overly cautious.

But the number of new infections in London is very low - so your chances of being infected in London are also low.

And for the vast majority of those infected - 80% - infection is not that bad - no worse than mild flu (or no symptoms at all). A further 10% will suffer, in effect, a very bad dose of flu, but not bad enough to go to hospital, but the remaining 10% may well be so seriously ill that their life is threatened.

But if you 'relax' whilst following the basic advice, then things should be OK. And not 'relaxing' may in itself lead to mental strains which are or could be equally damaging.

If you're living OK with lockdown, then continue it; if not then follow the underlying 'rules' and stay alert.

And avoid FONMO (Fear of NOT missing out).

Yeah We?re sticking with our housebound regime - barring dog walks and evening trips to Khans twice a week.

Everything in media we take with pinch of salt.

If you can?t make head nor tail of the situation best own it yourself innit !

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agreed KK. We'really continuing to keep safe. Hope

> you are too

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> Thousands of people all over the country have

> ignored the rules from day one

Yes- that was my impression too. I was dismayed to see a puffing and panting jogger on the pavement running towards an elderly lady and a couple with a small child on a bike on the pavement. Did he go into the road (there were no parked cars and no traffic)? No - I was in the road as I could see them coming and him puffing and panting behind me..he mad no attempt to avoid them...this has been going on since day 1 too!

>

> @Penguin68 - is that official advice your giving ?

Some of it,like handwashing and social distancing is taken from official advice, but no, of course not, I'm not an official and this is not an organ of government information. But, broadly, my advice is consistent with the medical science as currently promulgated. Meeting more than one person, in the open air and with distance etc. provisos is likely to be as safe as meeting only one. Which is what current official advice stipulates.

I've been sticking to the guidelines only leaving home for shopping and walks and keeping 2m distance as well as wearing mask.

However Its frustrating how many people dont seem to take this seriously.

Just today I was queuing to buy some food and a car drove by close to the kerb windows down and someone leaned out of the window and sneezed really loudly straight at us then everyone in the car laughed just as loudly as the the sneeze.

2nd thing that happened today...a young female jogger on pavement brushed alongside my arm running on a narrow stretch of pavement -As this is not the 1st time someone has done this (weirdly its young white female joggers who seem to consistently run into the back of me or brush alongside me, perhaps men are more specially aware?) I shouted loudly as she ran in front "IDIOT ITS 2 METERS YOURE SUPPOSED TO DISTANCE!" she didn't even turn round or hear me oblivious with her headphones on (also goes with the profile-always young white female headphones)

I really do despair tbh

I have to agree with Penguin68.

I'd rather see people stick more literally to the rules (particularly those damn runners who put their 'Personal Best' over 'Personal Safety') but there has been little interest from the government in enforcing or even following their own'advice' thus relying on public co-operation.

But we the public are not all that totally reliable when it comes to following advice. We have to accept that, assess the risks (quite low at the moment in London) and act in a way that keeps us feeling as safe as we can be. It's a bit like that driving advice...drive as if everyone else are idiots!

Penguin68's words are a fair approach for the reality of how people are acting and how little there is of any enforcement.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> If you feel ill with flu like symptoms you should

> self isolate, for 7-14 days.

>

> If you feel fine, and meet people outside, then

> following the underlying 'rules' - maintain a 2

> metre distance, don't share e.g. food and wash

> hands thoroughly (avoiding touching your face) and

> you and the people you meet will actually be OK -

> however many you 'meet' with. The difficulty is

> remembering the basics, which is why the

> government's advice is overly cautious.

>

> But the number of new infections in London is very

> low - so your chances of being infected in London

> are also low.

>

> And for the vast majority of those infected - 80%

> - infection is not that bad - no worse than mild

> flu (or no symptoms at all). A further 10% will

> suffer, in effect, a very bad dose of flu, but not

> bad enough to go to hospital, but the remaining

> 10% may well be so seriously ill that their life

> is threatened.

>

> But if you 'relax' whilst following the basic

> advice, then things should be OK. And not

> 'relaxing' may in itself lead to mental strains

> which are or could be equally damaging.

>

> If you're living OK with lockdown, then continue

> it; if not then follow the underlying 'rules' and

> stay alert.

>

> And avoid FONMO (Fear of NOT missing out).

We?re continuing to keep safe as are our friends and family and will not be sending our daughter back to school. My parents in law - who are sticking to the rules religiously and being laughed at by their neighbours and ?friends? for doing so - are very sad not to see their grandchildren. Cummings?s and Johnson?s impossibly entitled behaviour are another kick in the teeth for them. Forget the joggers and look at what?s happening at the top.

Shaggy Wrote:

> Yes, lockdown is over, because after today the

> ?rules? have become more of a set of guidelines

> that you should break if you love your children

> enough.

No children

No parents

But I still keep to the rules. Didn't realise that Cummings was aristocracy but not surprised. Let us eat rather nice sour dough bread.

I feel your pain NewWave but I have to say in my experience it's precisely the opposite experience. I have witnessed plenty of female joggers running in the road to give space to pedestrians and not many male joggers. Perhaps it's 50/50 after all. I also try and step aside for courteous runners as they are trying to keep fit which should be seen as a decent thing to do. Totally understand some won't find that as easy especially with the stealth runners that suddenly appear from behind.

Loved John Inge's (Bishop of Worcester) comment yesterday - 'The PM's raisable defence of Cummings is an insult to all those who have made such sacrifices to ensure the safety of others'. Sums it up really.

I looked into this and found the youtube video from 24th March

At about 8:25 the ITV news reporter asks the EXACT question about a small child. Then at about 10:35 Jenny Harries explains what can be done

I also had a look at the Government leaflet sent out and it is clear on page 2 that you are allowed to care for a vulnerable child....

I am sure all the people in ED who do what they do- even if it is against the advice of SAGE- justify it to themselves.

Surely Jenny Harries was talking about vulnerable children whose parents were hospitalised because of Corona? Cummings could drive up and down the width of England several times - clearly not the indication of a man on his deathbed.

seenbeen Wrote:

> I looked into this and found the youtube video

> from 24th March

> At about 8:25 the ITV news reporter asks the EXACT

> question about a small child. Then at about 10:35

> Jenny Harries explains what can be done

>

>

> I also had a look at the Government leaflet sent

> out and it is clear on page 2 that you are allowed

> to care for a vulnerable child....

>

> I am sure all the people in ED who do what they

> do- even if it is against the advice of SAGE-

> justify it to themselves.

He says the reason for leaving was because his wife felt her ability to look after their child was compromised because she felt so unwell (having vomited)and yet she was able to endure a 250 mile journey, presumably feeling nauseous? Their car also magically had a full tank, enabling them to drive the distance straight without stopping.

He says he left London because of threats of violence but surely the govt?s top adviser would have protection?

As for the ?test? drive To Barnard Castle. Bizarre.

klove Wrote:

> Surely Jenny Harries was talking about vulnerable

> children whose parents were hospitalised because

> of Corona? Cummings could drive up and down the

> width of England several times - clearly not the

> indication of a man on his deathbed.

>

>

>

> seenbeen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I looked into this and found the youtube video

> > from 24th March

> > At about 8:25 the ITV news reporter asks the

> EXACT

> > question about a small child. Then at about

> 10:35

> > Jenny Harries explains what can be done

> >

> >

> > I also had a look at the Government leaflet

> sent

> > out and it is clear on page 2 that you are

> allowed

> > to care for a vulnerable child....

> >

> > I am sure all the people in ED who do what they

> > do- even if it is against the advice of SAGE-

> > justify it to themselves.

He obviously preempted being ill- I was on holiday in Dorset one year and I felt grotty one morning with a scratchy, swollen throat. I could tell I was going to be ill and possibly too ill to drive home on the designated day, so we packed up and went then and there.

The actual quote from the pamphlet sent out to ever household is

'You should only leave the house for very limited reasons:

Any Medical Need. including to donate blood, avoid risk of harm, provide care or help a vulnerable person.'

It also says more detail is available online...not that anyone bothered to read it obviously.

The actions of the, pretty much useless, media is abhorrent. This pandemic has certainly brought out the vilest in society.

Seenbeen, there are many, many parents in London and luckily we didn?t all panic and fled London, spreading coronavirus. I expect politicians to have more of a backbone especially when they show very little compassion themselves. Of course, there?s always the possibility he didn?t panic and just went on a jolly...

first mate Wrote:

> He says the reason for leaving was because his

> wife felt her ability to look after their child

> was compromised because she felt so unwell (having

> vomited)and yet she was able to endure a 250 mile

> journey, presumably feeling nauseous? Their car

> also magically had a full tank, enabling them to

> drive the distance straight without stopping.

>

> He says he left London because of threats of

> violence but surely the govt?s top adviser would

> have protection?

>

> As for the ?test? drive To Barnard Castle.

> Bizarre.

GlaxoSmithKline headquarters in Barnard Castle. Just saying..

I'm not sure the lockdown ever really began for my neighbours. They have had a nanny going in to look after their children every week day since the beginning of the lockdown, despite neither of them being key workers. They've had yet another gathering today, with several other couples inside the house and in the garden, with several young children playing closely together in the garden and also going off inside. To make things worse, I saw some of the adults picking up and hugging other people's children. When they catch the virus in the second wave, which I am sure will come, I suppose these same selfish idiots will expect to be treated by the doctors and nurses who have put their own lives on the line for months now to save people who have been infected.

Monkey Wrote:

> Seenbeen, there are many, many parents in London

> and luckily we didn?t all panic and fled London,

> spreading coronavirus. I expect politicians to

> have more of a backbone especially when they show

> very little compassion themselves. Of course,

> there?s always the possibility he didn?t panic and

> just went on a jolly...

and what was he supposed to do had he and his wife become too ill to look after their child? Put him into care?

And because of the press obsession with DC which they have had since the Guardian accused him of having a War on Whitehall, today's PM briefing was a waste of time- why didn't they ask about the track and trace...the fact that the Isle of Wight pilot track and trace was ruined because people from the mainland downloaded it. Wasted.

And as GrowlyBear has pointed out about his neighbours- and I have witnessed every day- MANY people have carried on regardless..this harassment of Dominic Cummings is pathetic- he didn't even go near any other people- unlike the hundreds of joggers and cyclists in ED.