We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageWhat's going on over on the Rye?
Posted by fishbiscuits May 30, 03:49PM

Lots of shouting, cheering and whooping (if not on the Rye itself, then certainly near it... NW corner). Clearly a sizable gathering. Cars beeping as they drive past. And now there's a helicopter hovering overhead - wonder if the Police have broken it up?

messageRe: What's going on over on the Rye?
Posted by JohnL May 30, 03:55PM

[thisisgala.co.uk]

Postponed but maybe some came on the wrong year smiling smiley ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 30, 03:56pm by JohnL.

Posted by DulwichFox May 30, 03:56PM

Protest in Peckham

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

DulwichFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 30, 03:58pm by DulwichFox.

Posted by fishbiscuits May 30, 04:04PM

Thanks Fox. That will be it.

Doesn't seem very sensible, does it.

Posted by JohnL May 30, 04:13PM

Seriously - I think its a protest about George Floyd

[twitter.com]

Posted by JohnL May 30, 04:16PM

fishbiscuits Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Fox. That will be it.
>
> Doesn't seem very sensible, does it.

No looting or violence that I can see and London is a global city - however much some want it to be insular.

Edit: I hear sirens as I write.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 30, 04:16pm by JohnL.

Posted by DulwichFox May 30, 04:17PM

I was in Peckham Rye lane earlier today..

Was dead.. Khans and other Asian stores open. Barclays Bank was open .. Saturday ?

Foxy

Posted by JohnL May 30, 04:19PM

Heading back up Rye Lane past my flat now - strange I didn't hear them go down.

Posted by JohnL May 30, 04:20PM

Lots of "black lives matter" chants - they have the right to protest and what happened in the States was disgusting.

Posted by Sephiroth May 30, 04:23PM

Are people seriously complaining or belittling other who want to protest at disgusting events in America.

I expect better from you fishy

People should be on the streets. I’m amazed the reaction is as muted as it is tbh

Posted by Sue May 30, 04:48PM

JohnL Wrote:
> Seriously - I think its a protest about George
> Floyd
>
> [twitter.com]
> 57633

Good for them.

Posted by ED Bird May 30, 04:54PM

JohnL Wrote:
> Lots of "black lives matter" chants - they have
> the right to protest and what happened in the
> States was disgusting.

Except literally nobody is disagreeing with that. We are all shaken by this - it's horrific & I am furious.

But pinning an evil act by one person on & against an entire race is just reaching.

I've yet to see any evidence that this was race-driven.
Just a soulless scumbag exercising power he should never have been given.

Posted by JohnL May 30, 05:23PM

I can't really say for sure as the culture in America is different on this and I have no experience of it - there does seem to be a problem.

I listened to Killer Mike (he's a rapper) make an excellent speech asking for no more violence or property damage but describing systematic racism in parts of the US system.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by Sephiroth May 30, 05:54PM

Amazing how these individual scumbags generally exercise power in one direction. It’s a stunning coincidence how black men suffer this kind of death for no reason so often. And yet groups of white men can turn up with guns protesting at lockdown and... nothing happens

Talk about being wilfully blind

Posted by EDguy89 May 30, 05:56PM

ED Bird Wrote:
> JohnL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lots of "black lives matter" chants - they have
> > the right to protest and what happened in the
> > States was disgusting.
>
>
> Except literally nobody is disagreeing with that.
> We are all shaken by this - it's horrific & I am
> furious.
>
> But pinning an evil act by one person on & against
> an entire race is just reaching.
>
> I've yet to see any evidence that this was
> race-driven.
> Just a soulless scumbag exercising power he should
> never have been given.

It's not a black v white issue.

It's an issue that black people, men specifically, in America are infinitely more likely to die in police custody. It's not "an evil act by one person". It's a systemic issue that police in US can kill black men extra judiciously and hardly face any jail time. They may get CHARGED with something, but being CONVICTED is another matter. Guess which one matters.

"Yet to see any evidence that this was race-driven" then you're really not looking hard, if at all.

[www.latimes.com] Here's an article from the LA times regarding the likelihood of being killed by the police asa young black man.

Here's one: the shooting of Michael Brown in Missouri:[en.wikipedia.org]

How about the very recent one where police in civilian clothing busted into the WRONG HOUSE, killed a woman, then arrested a man for attempted murder for defending himself: [news.sky.com]

Botham Jean, killed in his own home when a drunk cop off duty entered the flat thinking it was her own: [en.wikipedia.org] - This officer was found guilty of murder.

I can keep going. There's an endless supply of horrendous cases of black people being killed by the police in the US.

This isn't the act of an evil individual, but rather a police force that is taught at some level that black men are inherently dangerous. Beyond that, police unions fight tooth and nail to protect their own. Many officers end up on administrative leave after their situations occur. Sometimes paid, sometimes unpaid.

It's not "just" a soulless scumbag. It's a horrendous system that needs to be torn down top to bottom.

Also, there 4 were cops who were present when Floyd died. So call that four soulless scumbag.

Posted by fishbiscuits May 30, 06:05PM

Sephiroth Wrote:
> Are people seriously complaining or belittling
> other who want to protest at disgusting events in
> America.
>
> I expect better from you fishy

Not at all - I was absolutely shocked by the news.

But you know... social distancing is still important too. People are still dying (several hundred a day in UK).

Posted by fishbiscuits May 30, 06:08PM

fishbiscuits Wrote:
> I was absolutely shocked by the news.

(Shocked as in appalled. Unfortunately not as in surprised).

Posted by ED Bird May 30, 06:43PM

Uhh... EDguy89, did you just pull apart my comment to prove my point? You are linking articles to unrelated incidences. That is the definition of reaching. Should I pull up every article for black on white crime & draw the conclusion that it's race-driven? No. Your response is rich with speculation, not facts, so I cannot comment. Also, I'm only putting my 2 cents in, not here for a political or race debate. Kthanxbai.

JohnL Wrote:
> [www.cbsnews.com]
> eads-with-atlanta-demonstrators-to-burn-systemic-r
> acism-not-specific-targets/

I caught this last night & found it very powerful. He's a very eloquent speaker & completely agree with his passion.

Police brutality is insane in the USA. This could not be a more appropriate time to shed light on the issue
& bring change {without violence & the burning down of cities}.

Stay safe, guys.

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 30, 06:45pm by ED Bird.

Posted by Sephiroth May 30, 08:12PM

"But you know... social distancing is still important too. People are still dying (several hundred a day in UK)."

Fair. For some reason I'd suspended this angle

Posted by first mate May 31, 07:33AM

I think the social distancing issue is to the point. Extinction rebellion have managed socially distanced and online protest. Not a good idea to urge large amounts of people to protest on the street, in close proximity, if that is what happened?

That said, also appalled by what happened in USA. Unfortunately, this may be an incident where Trump can turn the mode of protest to his advantage where events distract from his woeful handling of Covid 19, which has and will cost hundreds of BAME lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 31, 07:34am by first mate.

Posted by SnakeFilth May 31, 01:53PM

Whilst i agree with the reasons behind any protest linked to the abhorrent incident in the US, and also agree that 'Black Lives Matter', i dont agree with large numbers of people gathering during a pandemic in an area that has had very high numbers of people getting ill and dying from the virus. It is almost a sick irony, that lives matter yet by gathering like this they are putting themselves and those of their families in danger of getting ill and as a consequence possibly dying. We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.

Posted by Sephiroth May 31, 01:59PM

Jesus
Have you seen pictures of crowded beaches full of white People everywhere this weekend???

But you want to scold black People for protesting about being murdered by police

Posted by SnakeFilth May 31, 02:08PM

Peckham is a hotbed for Coronavirus- people should not be gathering there. The demographic of the area itself is how it is and the virus does not discriminate.

Posted by ED Bird May 31, 02:13PM

Sephiroth, I know you like to think you're the voice of all reason {posting history speaks for itself} but you're not, so you know, maybe calm your t*ts & read Snake's message for what he's actually implying. Bringing awareness to the danger BAME are putting themselves into is hardly scolding.

Posted by diable rouge May 31, 02:16PM

SnakeFilth Wrote:
> We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community
> disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as
> this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.

You're twisting logic here, the reasons why the BAME community has been disproportionately affected by Covid up 'til now is for social reasons, such as many are key workers, nothing to do with the protests which only started yesterday. Will protesting without social distancing increase the chances of protesters catching/passing on the virus? Of course, but that's not what you wrote. It should also be noted that the protesters weren't exclusively BAME...

Posted by Sephiroth May 31, 02:36PM

Wingless. I can read the subtext of snake’s post just fine thanks

Posted by KidKruger May 31, 02:56PM

Sepiroth. So what is the subtext, please state it ?

From what I saw there was a mix of people, protesting about disgusting events in USA, as a bunch of people they were invariably too close (inevitably), but with Cummings demonstrating the 'who cares' attitude it's a logical progression that people have continued and increased their trips to beach, parks and clearly felt comfortable protesting together.
There's a general relaxation everywhere it seems, which I really hope doesn't play-out as 2nd wave (but that unfortunately seems inevitable).

Agreed, BAME infection levels are nowt to do with gatherings like the protest and all to do with social / living conditions. Having said that, gathering such as yesterday will spread the virus if it's possible to. obvs.

Posted by malumbu May 31, 03:00PM

Wow - what have I missed?

1. America still a deeply polarised society. Far more racism over the pond
2. Not helped by Trump
3. All accounts very soicially distanced protest - and as pointed out things far worse where people congregating elsewhere.
4. Don't use 'they' please - it comes across as casual racism. I know it was not intended but the number of times I've heard White neighbours and the like say in hushed terms "they would wouldn't they"

Posted by KidKruger May 31, 04:34PM

"..a mix of people, protesting about disgusting events in USA, as a bunch of people they were invariably too close.."

If you mean what I wrote malumbu, no I'll stick with what I wrote because I've made it clear I included all present which consisted many backgrounds. If I can't call a crowd 'they' well... not going there, I'm fine as is.

Posted by Sephiroth May 31, 05:43PM

“ We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.”

It’s barely a subtext to be fair. Snake is saying black peopel bring it on themselves? Or am I misreading and being unfair

Because if these protesters aren’t helping the spread of the virus, surely same is true of the large, mostly white gatherings at beaches this weekend. But i can’t see anyone saying “white people bring it on themselves”

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum