What's going on over on the Rye?

fishbiscuits

Lots of shouting, cheering and whooping (if not on the Rye itself, then certainly near it... NW corner). Clearly a sizable gathering. Cars beeping as they drive past. And now there's a helicopter hovering overhead - wonder if the Police have broken it up?

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Fox. That will be it.

>

> Doesn't seem very sensible, does it.

No looting or violence that I can see and London is a global city - however much some want it to be insular.

Edit: I hear sirens as I write.

JohnL Wrote:

> Lots of "black lives matter" chants - they have

> the right to protest and what happened in the

> States was disgusting.

Except literally nobody is disagreeing with that. We are all shaken by this - it's horrific & I am furious.

But pinning an evil act by one person on & against an entire race is just reaching.

I've yet to see any evidence that this was race-driven.

Just a soulless scumbag exercising power he should never have been given.

I can't really say for sure as the culture in America is different on this and I have no experience of it - there does seem to be a problem.

I listened to Killer Mike (he's a rapper) make an excellent speech asking for no more violence or property damage but describing systematic racism in parts of the US system.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rapper-killer-mike-pleads-with-atlanta-demonstrators-to-burn-systemic-racism-not-specific-targets/

Amazing how these individual scumbags generally exercise power in one direction. It?s a stunning coincidence how black men suffer this kind of death for no reason so often. And yet groups of white men can turn up with guns protesting at lockdown and... nothing happens

Talk about being wilfully blind

ED Bird Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Lots of "black lives matter" chants - they have

> > the right to protest and what happened in the

> > States was disgusting.

>

>

> Except literally nobody is disagreeing with that.

> We are all shaken by this - it's horrific & I am

> furious.

>

> But pinning an evil act by one person on & against

> an entire race is just reaching.

>

> I've yet to see any evidence that this was

> race-driven.

> Just a soulless scumbag exercising power he should

> never have been given.

It's not a black v white issue.

It's an issue that black people, men specifically, in America are infinitely more likely to die in police custody. It's not "an evil act by one person". It's a systemic issue that police in US can kill black men extra judiciously and hardly face any jail time. They may get CHARGED with something, but being CONVICTED is another matter. Guess which one matters.

"Yet to see any evidence that this was race-driven" then you're really not looking hard, if at all.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-08-15/police-shootings-are-a-leading-cause-of-death-for-black-men Here's an article from the LA times regarding the likelihood of being killed by the police asa young black man.

Here's one: the shooting of Michael Brown in Missouri:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown

How about the very recent one where police in civilian clothing busted into the WRONG HOUSE, killed a woman, then arrested a man for attempted murder for defending himself: https://news.sky.com/story/breonna-taylor-police-killed-black-woman-after-storming-home-in-hunt-for-suspect-already-in-custody-lawsuit-says-11987302

Botham Jean, killed in his own home when a drunk cop off duty entered the flat thinking it was her own: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Botham_Jean - This officer was found guilty of murder.

I can keep going. There's an endless supply of horrendous cases of black people being killed by the police in the US.

This isn't the act of an evil individual, but rather a police force that is taught at some level that black men are inherently dangerous. Beyond that, police unions fight tooth and nail to protect their own. Many officers end up on administrative leave after their situations occur. Sometimes paid, sometimes unpaid.

It's not "just" a soulless scumbag. It's a horrendous system that needs to be torn down top to bottom.

Also, there 4 were cops who were present when Floyd died. So call that four soulless scumbag.

Sephiroth Wrote:

> Are people seriously complaining or belittling

> other who want to protest at disgusting events in

> America.

>

> I expect better from you fishy

Not at all - I was absolutely shocked by the news.

But you know... social distancing is still important too. People are still dying (several hundred a day in UK).

Uhh... EDguy89, did you just pull apart my comment to prove my point? You are linking articles to unrelated incidences. That is the definition of reaching. Should I pull up every article for black on white crime & draw the conclusion that it's race-driven? No. Your response is rich with speculation, not facts, so I cannot comment. Also, I'm only putting my 2 cents in, not here for a political or race debate. Kthanxbai.

JohnL Wrote:

> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rapper-killer-mike-pl

> eads-with-atlanta-demonstrators-to-burn-systemic-r

> acism-not-specific-targets/

I caught this last night & found it very powerful. He's a very eloquent speaker & completely agree with his passion.

Police brutality is insane in the USA. This could not be a more appropriate time to shed light on the issue

& bring change {without violence & the burning down of cities}.

Stay safe, guys.

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

I think the social distancing issue is to the point. Extinction rebellion have managed socially distanced and online protest. Not a good idea to urge large amounts of people to protest on the street, in close proximity, if that is what happened?

That said, also appalled by what happened in USA. Unfortunately, this may be an incident where Trump can turn the mode of protest to his advantage where events distract from his woeful handling of Covid 19, which has and will cost hundreds of BAME lives.

Whilst i agree with the reasons behind any protest linked to the abhorrent incident in the US, and also agree that 'Black Lives Matter', i dont agree with large numbers of people gathering during a pandemic in an area that has had very high numbers of people getting ill and dying from the virus. It is almost a sick irony, that lives matter yet by gathering like this they are putting themselves and those of their families in danger of getting ill and as a consequence possibly dying. We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.

SnakeFilth Wrote:

> We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community

> disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as

> this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.

You're twisting logic here, the reasons why the BAME community has been disproportionately affected by Covid up 'til now is for social reasons, such as many are key workers, nothing to do with the protests which only started yesterday. Will protesting without social distancing increase the chances of protesters catching/passing on the virus? Of course, but that's not what you wrote. It should also be noted that the protesters weren't exclusively BAME...