Leaving Student accommodation- advice please

Pugwash

Grand daughter at Leeds University has to leave her current accommodation on 30th June. She had requested a day's extension as the student property she was moving into for her final year could not be accessed until 1st July. She and her house mate have been told they have to leave by 10 am on 30th as due to Covid regulations, their property has to be deep cleaned. She has approached the university asking whether it was possible to stay in halls for 1- 2 nights as she would be homeless. University people have refused to help and student union have not come up with suggestions. Her mother is driving up from Bromley to collect her things (bedding/crockery/utensils/clothes etc) as initially granddaughter was going to get a mini cab to transport stuff to new flat 10 minutes drive away.

My daughter is hoping that by the end of the month - some hotels/travel lodge/premier inns would be open so that 3 of them could stay somewhere over night. She has contacted friends in the Yorkshire area but they are unable to help.

Does anyone know whether the motorway services on M6 near Leeds are open as at the last resort the 3 of them would have to sleep in the car but would need access to toilets. Grand daughter needs to remain in Leeds for a short time and will not return to Bromley until later. Her mother is an NHS worker, but has tested negative for C19 and did not really want to have the 5 hour drive upto Leeds.

There was an article in one of the papers recently about students who are reliant on part time jobs to pay for their accommodation and living expenses, who do not have family/friends or an out of term time address/accommodation. Granddaughter's housemate does not have a family and stays in student accommodation all year round which she pays from part time term time and holiday work. Since March she has not worked and all savings have now gone - is she eligible for universal credit?

It's not clear from your post ... is your grand daughter currently living in the accommodation or is she at home in Bromley? If the former, couldn't she and her friend stay in a modest Air BnB place for the one night, if she doesn't have friends from Uni she could crash with. Some Air BnB places are self contained and wouldn't involve having to come into contact with the owners/hosts at all.

"On 10 May, the UK Government announced its phased plan for lifting lockdown. In a 50-page dossier, outlining details of the plan, it listed the businesses and ventures which must remain closed for the time being.

These include holiday accommodation, specifically hotels, hostels, B&Bs, holiday rentals, campsites and boarding houses.

There were some exceptions to the rule, however. In some instances, the previously listed holiday accommodation could remain open, such as: In the situation where people live in these places as interim residences whilst their primary home is unavailable, or they live in them permanently."

University accomodation office should know this and help.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/hotels-uk-open-when-holidays-british-latest-news-lockdown-rules-430480

Here's the government sute with the same advise - it's up to the hotel then I suppose.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-advice-for-accommodation-providers

Most of the other students in her shared house would have returned to their family home in various parts of the north - she is the only one who lives in the south east .She does not have a car and it would be difficult to crash anywhere with all the contents of her room. She had already asked Landlord if they could move out at 10 am on 1st July so that they can go straight away to new accommodation but this was refused. If they are not out in time, she stands to lose several hundred of pounds in deposit ( I believe it is around ?500) which she needs to cover new accommodation's rent. It would appear that for students in their 2nd year plus the accommodation is from 1st July - 30th June and it is rare to find a property with a Sept - June tenancy.

I will get daughter to check out AirBnB in the area and also check the nearest motorway services.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Most of the other students in her shared house

> would have returned to their family home in

> various parts of the north - she is the only one

> who lives in the south east .She does not have a

> car and it would be difficult to crash anywhere

> with all the contents of her room. She had already

> asked Landlord if they could move out at 10 am on

> 1st July so that they can go straight away to new

> accommodation but this was refused. If they are

> not out in time, she stands to lose several

> hundred of pounds in deposit ( I believe it is

> around ?500) which she needs to cover new

> accommodation's rent. It would appear that for

> students in their 2nd year plus the accommodation

> is from 1st July - 30th June and it is rare to

> find a property with a Sept - June tenancy.

>

> I will get daughter to check out AirBnB in the

> area and also check the nearest motorway services.

Hiya, I'm in a similar situation to your grand daughter, I'm meant to move out of my student house on the 30th June in Sheffield, but my new tenancy doesn't start until the 9th July. We've been lucky enough to know the current tenants of the house, who have agreed that we cant store our belongings in the dining room as its not used much. However, it does seem incredibly unforgiving of the landlord to not be a little lenient given the circumstances, my landlord is giving us until the morning of the 31st to have all our stuff out. This was only we messaged him and had a discussion about the current climate that he agreed.

A few of my friends, myself included, were hoping to camp or use an airbnb in the 9 day period, however, there doesn't seem to be any airbnb's available in the midlands region (!!!) nor are any of the campsites currently open, all very understandable.

If I find any available spaces to stay, I'll be sure to pass on the information to you!

Train fare from Leeds is between ?80- ?130 . and reduced services. Main problem is taking 2 years of clothing, bedding, books, kitchen equipment, TV, computer and printer - it took the whole of the car boot and seat when she went up to Leeds first of all.

I think under normal circumstances, she would be able to stay one extra day but according to the Letting agency with all the new regulations relating to Covid, all properties have to be deep cleaned before new tenants can come in. The new tenants will be moving in on 1st July and since it is a house for 8 people- alot of rooms to be cleaned.

She does not know the current tenants of the new property which is a flat for 4 people.

A flat mate previously tried to go home by train but was stopped at Leeds station and informed that since she was not an essential worker she could not travel.

and I'd catch a train in her situation - single woman unsure of where to stay

"The government has asked people to avoid public transport if at all possible to help customers maintain distance with limited capacity, and keep the railway for those who need it most. If you need to travel by National Rail please try to travel Off-Peak, keep a 2-metre distance from others, use a face covering, and carry hand sanitiser or wash your hands."