Found Fledgling Robin (I think)

jimmah

There was a small brown and yellow bird on my back step. I think it is injured as one of its legs is a bit weak.

I've looked on the RSPB and RSPCA sites which say if they aren't with their parents or near their nest then you should take them to your nearest Wildlife Rehabilitator but when I looked they all seemed to be in Norfolk or Somerset. Does anyone know what I can do with it.

I can't see how putting in back in the garden is the right thing to do I think something will come along and eat it.

Any ideas?

Thanks, incredibly I just found another one so now there are two, I really can't see how there could be a nest on the hous. There are a couple of crows stalking the garden and I'm wondering if they've dropped them or something.

I've sent them a message. Thanks very much. In the meantime they are in a box next to the window in case they have fledged from somewhere nearby and their parents can retrieve them. They're calling now which is quite good I think.

Crows are notorious for stealing chicks (and then eating them) so that is possible. At the same time, birds can nest in guttering, under rafters etc. They don't need very much space, so the smallest of alcoves suits them. Having said that, you would know if chicks were nesting as they are noisy things once they get going :) You've done all the right things, so hopefully there will be a happy ending.

Just to update, I ended up with three! I had them in a box with me in the garden and their parents came and fed them worms and eventually one of them sort of flew, a bit like a chicken doesn't, into the ivy at the bottom of my garden. The other two didn't seem to want to go anywhere so the wildlife rescue suggested I take them over and they are looking after them now.

It would seem that robins fledge by jumping out of the nest and then living on the ground for while while their parents feed them there. They hide in holes during this time. So the crows must have just been hanging about because they saw them in the open so they're off the hook now.

I can't see how any make it to adulthood if they have to scrabble about on the ground for a few days before they can fly.

Hopefully they'll make it through.

Echoing the above! This really warms my heart.

You can also contact The Neighbourhood Vets in times of emergency, as they were able to save my little swift & transfer him to a sanctuary.

Kindest,

Heather {The Wingless Bird}