Disabled Shopper asked to take a sit in Sainsburys - why?

trinidad

Hello all, I wonder if someone can help?

Since the lockdown, many supermarkets have limited the number of customers into their stores, which have led to outside queues. Most companies have recognized critical workers across the country and vulnerable shoppers by allowing these shoppers to access the front of the queue.

An elderly shopper I know has visited most supermarkets by using her crutches or on her scooter. Usually, the lady has presented herself at the entrance of the supermarket, and security has always waved her through. yesterday around 6 pm, the elderly lady visited Sainsbury's ED. She parked in one of the disabled parking bays and was watched by the security officer close to the main entrance. As the elderly lady made her way to the entrance, she did not receive the usual welcome but told to sit on some chairs inside the store. She was confused, but confirmed and sat on the chairs. seconds later 15 shoppers in the line were told to walk in. the lady still continued to wait. minutes later another 15 shoppers were let in. by this time the lady was becoming increasingly distress. she felt like people were staring at her. she started to approach security and was told to go in. The entire experience has left her feeling upset and not wanting to return to the store.

anyone have any thoughts?

Yes, I think unfortunately the security guard forgot she was waiting to go in or there was a change in security guard on the door and the message was not passed on that she had only recently arrived. Distressing for her none the less. I can understand that as, speaking from personal experience, it can be very challenging and upsetting as someone older or disabled when things like this happen.

Maybe next time she visits she could have a chat to customer services to let them know what happened so that she and others do not experience similar treatment in the future? Also, in case it does happen again and she is asked to sit and wait (at least they do have seats available!), check what is going on and remind the door staff that she is waiting to go in.

I often have to wait for taxis after appointments when I go to the vet etc., so someone could have thought she was waiting for a ride home.

You don't know whats been said at that days team briefing (maybe the security guards were told to keep their eyes on the queue or not to pester customers to move along quickly).

It's easy to think it's something about us when it's actually something about them :).

Thank you for the contributions, I contacted the lady today, she still feels upset and keeps comparing the service before at the store, and other stores with her recent experience. she is very adamant of not returning, but I hope that changes