House moths-what's effective?

siousxiesue

I'm afraid my lodger's old room (he's gone!) has a moth infestation in the carpet.

That's being removed tomorrow.

I'm afraid there may be a few escapees already and they are around the rest of the house.

What has been really effective for you in getting rid?

Eliminated moths a few years ago by taking out all carpet and underlay (bagging it in situ, before carrying outside).

Severly hoovered the floor boards underneath, especially the gaps and particularly the gaps where joists run underneath (even using a blunt knife to prise-out any cut sat on that joist) and under skirting.

Mixed bleach with water and washed entire floor and skirting. ponged a bit, but did the job.

The next thing I would have tried would be the moth bombs, but I knew my carpets were buggered and had to go so just got stuck in with the chemicals. We used to have literally clouds of moths. I hated it. Good luck !

They say the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Because these last few weeks one room here hasn't had much use, I found the moths had eaten a circular hole in the carpet under the waste paper basket. Experience had taught me you can almost eliminate them, but they will return.

Inspect your house at night when they come out,like most moths and just be prepared to keeping vacuuming and turning out the wardrobe regularly. Also in curtains and any fabric areas that don't get disturbed much

There?s a carpet spray that Farmers sell which is very effective. You don?t have to spray the whole carpet, just those out of the way places like under the sofa and other furniture and in sheltered corners. They will come back and a second spraying will be needed. Since that first year, I?ve sprayed the carpet in April each year which have kept them under control.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Eliminated moths a few years ago by taking out all

> carpet and underlay (bagging it in situ, before

> carrying outside).

> Severly hoovered the floor boards underneath,

> especially the gaps and particularly the gaps

> where joists run underneath (even using a blunt

> knife to prise-out any cut sat on that joist) and

> under skirting.

> Mixed bleach with water and washed entire floor

> and skirting. ponged a bit, but did the job.

>

> The next thing I would have tried would be the

> moth bombs, but I knew my carpets were buggered

> and had to go so just got stuck in with the

> chemicals. We used to have literally clouds of

> moths. I hated it. Good luck !

The carpet went today and I'm not replacing it with any more carpet! Feel lucky now to have concrete, not wooden flooring.

I'll use a moth bomb upstairs and hope it gets the rest of them, little buggers!

If they are in the carpet in a defined area or room - this stuff - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpet-Moth-Killer-Kills-500/dp/B005EGVCX4/ref=pd_lpo_201_img_2/260-1659908-4409656?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005EGVCX4&pd_rd_r=4ec9063a-52c3-482f-9ee8-bcd64f14c8f6&pd_rd_w=Mvoda&pd_rd_wg=bS6f1&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=28YDYJ30XZCMFTY1MN10&psc=1&refRID=28YDYJ30XZCMFTY1MN10

Worked for us when nothing else did in a similar situation. You do need to move as much of the furniture as you can. What you need to kill is the eggs/larvae as much as the moths - this does that and we?ve had no reoccurrence since. Sticky traps for the moths in the meantime - including some on the floor under furniture to catch the females who don?t fly as much/far.

singalto Wrote:

> I am using pheromone strips to catch the males,

> spray, cedar wood oil and killing them when I see

> them in the air, on the walls, etc. Good luck!

This is the method we have used which has reduced the numbers a lot. It does take a couple of years to have any effect. I also put all wools items of clothing away in sealed bags in the summer, which reduces the moths food options when they are most active. Good luck!

I had carpet moths.

I ended up taking up the carpets and painting my floorboards 🤣 though that wasn't just because of the moths!

I have tried everything for clothes moths. None of the "natural" methods worked for me, sadly.

I now use sticky pheromone traps to trap the males. I think it's cruel, but it's the only thing which has worked for me.

I also put moth papers amongst all my clothes and fabrics.

I diarise when the traps and papers need to be replaced, and also when I need to order more. Then I try to actually do it!

I Google every time to try to get the cheapest deal, but it still costs a fortune!

I stopped using sprays when I had a parrot staying here, and never started again. Also I don't think they're great if you have asthma.

I do have some unused moth stuff which I don't want. I will put it all in the for sale/give away section at some point!

KidKruger Wrote:

> Looks like you should have spring-cleaned Foxy.

> Those moth-eaten patches happen in the covered /

> dark undisturbed areas.

Yep, the only room I had a carpet left was my bedroom, and the moths ate the carpet under the bed.

Well the carpets have been down for 24 years.

The Staircase and small bedroom carpets went a few years back..

I was due to do the through lounge this summer but that is not possible at the moment.

Four book cases and furniture Table and chairs clutter up the space and would be difficult to take up carpet

and lay laminate. I think there are no floorboards. The floor I believe is sheeted with big boards.

I have nowhere to move everything to, to do the work.

Foxy