Why are UK pubs reopening on......a Saturday??

DovertheRoad

Ok. I'm writing this from a country that delayed it's bars opening until the Tuesday after the long May weekend. But this is crazy. Why not Monday? I predict extra strain on emergency services, hospitals and the rest. This government is a %$$@*@ mess.

Discuss?

Did you honestly think the government would actually have thought the whole thing thru? Surely their whole handling of this crisis would suggest they don?t have the ability to properly assess the end results of their decisions

Does it really matter? Even if on a Monday the first weekend would just see a surge anyway.

I'm more concerned with the winter, this time of year can drink and eat outside where there is little to no virus transmission.

As soon as we get to the cold dark part of the year I don't see how anyone expects this virus to stay contained. Similar to cold and flu season, there is no way to stop viruses that spread so aggressively indoors.

There can't be a surge - only those on the list can go in the rest will be stuck on the street. If you want to go to the pub saturday you should be registering with the pub now (I have no plans to go out this week)

Any virus scare and those on the list go into lockdown for a few weeks.

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There can't be a surge - only those on the list

> can go in the rest will be stuck on the street.

> If you want to go to the pub saturday you should

> be registering with the pub now (I have no plans

> to go out this week)

>

> Any virus scare and those on the list go into

> lockdown for a few weeks.

Optimistic.

tiddles Wrote:

> Did you honestly think the government would

> actually have thought the whole thing thru? Surely

> their whole handling of this crisis would suggest

> they don?t have the ability to properly assess the

> end results of their decisions

Nope. But the continued series of gaffs and blunders of this clownshow gov are embarrassing. Especially when viewed from abroad.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There can't be a surge - only those on the list

> > can go in the rest will be stuck on the street.

>

> > If you want to go to the pub saturday you

> should

> > be registering with the pub now (I have no

> plans

> > to go out this week)

> >

> > Any virus scare and those on the list go into

> > lockdown for a few weeks.

>

>

> Optimistic.

LOL :)

SpringTime Wrote:

> Sarah Vine in today's Daily Mail. Even as a bad

> joke this was a dumb thing to print, unless it was

> in Viz in which case it'd be pretty funny.

I take it then Michael Gove is on the brew again

lameduck Wrote:

> goverment couldn't organinise a pi55 up in a

> brewery

Sounds like you've had a few already. (Labour wouldn't have done any better (would've run out of money before Xmas anyway) and the sickos are undermining EVERYTHING on a daily basis along with the lefty press)

No country stood a chance

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/blogs/Whathappensif/how-china-locked-down-internally-for-covid-19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

This is why many people think that the whole sorry saga of covid19 was deliberately engineered by China to undermine the world economy. And the WHO, of course, colluded by NOT slapping on an air travel ban

With Jezza and the amazing Diane Abbott at the helm, or anywhere near it, this could have been much worse. Unless of course they had done the sensible thing which would have been to lock down several weeks earlier than we did. You don't need to be a virologist to know that would have been simpler, cheaper (in the long term less damaging) and more humane.

Would the WHO actually have been able to implement an air travel ban though? I don't know.

But Covid is NOT a conspiracy theory Uncleglen. It is a zoonotic virus transmission, that has led to a global pandemic, that has killed half a million people in just six months. So lets leave the conspiracy nonsense at the bin where it belongs.

On pubs. I can see all kinds of issues, that only get worse once people are drunk. Better managed in Summer, impossible to manage in Winter. Around a quarter of pubs can not open at all, unable to enforce any kind of social distancing, and then there is the issue of people giving their names and other details. Some won't want to do it, or will give false data. Even with the majority of the public complying with lock down measures, that R number hasn't got much below 1 so far. So we will have to see how it goes.

ianr Wrote:

> > And the WHO, of course, colluded

> > by NOT slapping on an air travel ban

>

> What authority would they have to do so?

The WHO have no authority to tell any country to do anything. All they can do is advise and provide resources.

The general consensus is that by the time the virus was detected, it was already firmly spread, meaning that an immediate air travel ban would likely have changed very little.

There was a very interesting edition of More or Less on Radio 4 today which has been doing a series of Covid-only programs for the last few weeks. They were looking at why - statistically - it appears the UK has performed less well at handling Covid-19 than other countries.

I'm not going to explain this brilliantly but what they explained is that the UK had more of a series of outbreaks across the country than a primary geographic outbreak which then spread around the country (like China or Italy). In other words we had a series of infected people come into the UK, not just from China or even primarily from China, but with a significant amount of infection being imported from Europe and the US. This had a number of impacts - firstly the modelling that we were doing was based on the model seen in China/Italy/France etc - i.e. doubling of cases every three to four weeks. Because of the geographic spread of the outbreak in the UK, our actual experience of how Covid-19 spread was quite different - we saw a doubling of cases every 14 days at one point and we didn't catch it until it was too late because we weren't doing enough testing - again in reliance on a model based on what we had seen of the spread of Covid-19 in other countries that mass testing doesn't help until the virus is in general circulation within the country or area. That impacted lockdown, it impacted testing regimes and so on.

It's worth listening to to make your own mind up, but it's a clear, coherent and backed up analysis. But the one thing it suggests wouldn't have worked is a lockdown of travellers from only one place or region. We would have to have locked down travel from all other countries and done it well before we were aware that Covid-19 had generally spread within the UK (i.e well before actual lockdown here).

ianr Wrote:

> > And the WHO, of course, colluded

> > by NOT slapping on an air travel ban

>

> What authority would they have to do so?

Probably on Roger Daltrey's say so. Ain't that so Unc?

uncleglen Wrote:

> lameduck Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > goverment couldn't organinise a pi55 up in a

> > brewery

>

> Sounds like you've had a few already. (Labour

> wouldn't have done any better (would've run out of

> money before Xmas anyway) and the sickos are

> undermining EVERYTHING on a daily basis along with

> the lefty press)

>

> No country stood a chance

> https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/blogs/Whathap

> pensif/how-china-locked-down-internally-for-covid-

> 19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

>

> This is why many people think that the whole sorry

> saga of covid19 was deliberately engineered by

> China to undermine the world economy. And the WHO,

> of course, colluded by NOT slapping on an air

> travel ban

Uncleglen

What makes you think I have had a few

or a Labour leftie?

Government acted far too slow in the beginning

Mixed messages You must stay in , you can go out, 2 metres now 1 metre

we are hurrying to open the pubs and get economy going

they are moving the goal posts to suit their needs

To hell with anybody in between

I am a pensioner with a business, because I like what I do,

and am cleared to start up.

I dont feel safe.I have sat at home since last day I worked 23rd march as am vulnerable

We have seen the riots people dont social distance, I expect the pubs to be banged out

people sober dont social distance

I dont know about your conspiracy theory

But I am expecting to be locked down for another 12 weeks, and to hear more poor people have died