Basic cycling advice for riders

mlteenie

I am a longterm cycling instructor working for the largest provider all around London.

I have seen an awful lot of less than ideal riding lately, so from a safety point of view, it would be great if riders can bear these points in mind (and teach others until training is provided again).

What I call the Top 3 Rules of Safe Cycling are, in order of priority:

1: Looking is your most important task.

May seem obvious, but almost nobody looks around enough, especially behind, and more particularly when about to execute a maneouvre eg. Turning, overtaking, etc.

2: Cover your brake levers.

Most riders don't realise that having your fingers resting on the brake levers after moving off is extremely important. The split-second advantage this gives you, particularly as speed and distances increase, can make ALL the difference. I KNOW that 0.2s matters - there will be times in the future when you think back thankfully for this new ingrained habit. It is like wearing a seatbelt - may take a little getting used to but eventually you will not feel comfortable without it.

3: Ride 'The Width Of A Door And A Little Bit More'.

You really don't want to find out how damaging a vehicle door can be. We all have an equal right to use the roads so riders and others have a duty to keep everyone safe. This means avoiding the dangerous positions such as riding within the 'door zone'. Move out to a metre or more because you do not have time to look into every car for occupants.

This often means taking a safe position in front of, rather than next to other traffic (that includes cyclists).

Do not ignore traffic behind you - use Rule 1 - look round at them which both gives you information and shows your awareness of their presence. This is reassuring to potentially frustrated drivers who may perceive a cyclist apparently oblivious to what is going on around them, ie. Not looking around, esp back.

Of course there may be times when you do have to enter the door zone. Rule 2: use your covered brakes and slow down so you have more time to react to any doors. Before moving out again check behind you in case of a fast-moving but silent vehicle. These are on the increase!

Other points:

Good observation alone is better than poor signalling without looking.

Get (some decent) lights, for chrissakes!

If riding with young ones or others less experienced than you they MUST be in front and obeying the same guidelines. This way you can observe and give verbal help.

Never ride up the left of an hgv unless you know why not.

There is a lot more to say but I'm on my phone. Hope it reads ok and I have been helpful to those who appreciate it. In future there will be a lot of free individual cycle training going on!

Really helpful tips, thanks!

How would you suggest managing positioning at junctions? I would like to be at the front in the cycle box, safely waiting for the lights to go green but so often I'm left with that scary dilemma of whether the lights will change as I try to scoot to the front of the traffic. Or that cars will begin to come from the opposite direction.

So often I see cyclists bravely getting themselves to the front while I stay wedged behind a bus or fat vehicle, breathing in the fumes.

Any tips?

I'm not an instructor but have been cycling in London for 10 years and was thinking how I approach this. There are a few things that can help I think.

With time you'll come to understand the phasing of the lights on your route. For example if you know that there is a pedestrian crossing phase before they go green you then have time to get to the front. The other cyclists you've seen have probably been cycling that route for years and know the phases instinctively.

Making sure you are looking ahead at what is happening up the road. If you see the lights change then again you'll know you have time to get to the front. Conversely if you see that a line of cars has been sat motionless for a while then maybe the light is due to change to green and you should hang back.

Make sure you are covering the brakes and in a gear that means you can make a quick move if the lights change on you. Whether that's putting in a quick acceleration or braking and re-merging into traffic.

Overtake the stationary cars on the outside, that way if the lights change and they do move off there is no chance that one will turn left across you. In fact I advocate never undertaking cars at junctions if at all possible.

Finally the vast majority of drivers in London are patient and courteous, if they see someone who has been caught out by the changing of lights they will normally give you room to move back over to the left and back up to speed. Just ensure you signal and if possible make eye contact with them before making any moves.

binkylilyput Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really helpful tips, thanks!

>

> How would you suggest managing positioning at

> junctions? I would like to be at the front in the

> cycle box, safely waiting for the lights to go

> green but so often I'm left with that scary

> dilemma of whether the lights will change as I try

> to scoot to the front of the traffic. Or that cars

> will begin to come from the opposite direction.

>

> So often I see cyclists bravely getting themselves

> to the front while I stay wedged behind a bus or

> fat vehicle, breathing in the fumes.

>

> Any tips?

Good advice from yourmomma.

To be at the front is not always possible nor advisable, dependent on the other two-wheelers around.

The majority of fatal accidents in London between HGVs and cyclists are when the cyclist was (unwittingly)in the driver's blind spot, which is large and is most of the left side and a good 2-3m in front of the cab.

If you can't do that, stay behind in the middle. A bit of fumes is preferable to the alternative. Always give yourself a bubble of space in all directions and bolster this with Rule 1 and 2.

There is a lot tof detail to this subject

- google Bikeability and see what you find.

Every cyclist, no matter what level experience, can take something positive from the training theory.

So my conundrum is... I used to cycle a lot before I moved to London, always ok on busy roads etc but stopped cycling when I moved here circa 20 years ago. Getting back on my bike now, but seem to have lost ability to look over my shoulder and keep an eye on road in front whilst maintaining a straight line! Any exercise recommendations for increasing flexibility?! At present if it's a busy road I'm just stopping until traffic goes and I can turn, or getting off and walking across busy junctions.

@mancity68 - we teach mostly in schools and whatvwe tell the beginners is to keep pedalling whilst signalling or looking back. If you don't you are far more likely to lose some balance and swerve, which is what you want to avoid. It can be trickier with two hands on the bars but it depends what type of look you are giving. A quick glance to see who is just next to/behind you or right round to see much further? The first us a split second, the latter a second or more with corresponding needs for balance.

I suggest practicing in Dulwich park, especially the wide section leading to the gate onto Dulwich Common, near the tennis courts. Also make sure you are not next to the kerb when attempting these manoeuvres, as you will have little safety room to play with.

Normally these lessons are free from the council, but not just yet.

If you have a mobility issue, obv you will need to do whatever makes you most comfortable.

As you understand the physical movement shows any other attentive road user that you are observant. Even though you would ideally like eye contact, you rarely achieve that but the movement is enough to generate communication, which is what you want.

As a driver and two-wheeler I find it frustrating when a rider in front seems oblivious to what is right behind them, and it is easy for many to assume they don't care and wish to get past them. Of course if the cyclist then changes direction without looking that is a whole other problem.

It is all about reducing the chances of something happening over a lifetime of riding.

Sometimes there are unavoidable accidents but 99.9% is probably in your own hands. I certainly ride way safer since I became an instructor, well over ten years ago. I have ridden all my life but had various bad habits that I thought were correct. There has to be a certain amount of assertiveness, but looking and smiling go a long way!

I think that pedestrians should wear helmets too. You never know when you could trip over a paving stone. Wearing helmets is a matter of personal choice and we all view risk in different ways. I'd like a world where cyclists were not vulnerable and came from a time where my parents just let me get on with things from a relatively early age.

So often I see cyclists bravely getting themselves to the front while I stay wedged behind a bus or fat vehicle, breathing in the fumes.

I?m not as experienced as others who?ve posted (and all good advice above) but I wouldn?t try and get to the front unless you have a clear way to do it on the outside. Just hang back out of fumes range but far enough into the road that no one will try to go around you/pull alongside too close. Generally drivers will give you the space you need that way.

Also very much agree to on the importance of a lifesaver look behind - even when not manoeuvring. I find that when you look behind and show an awareness of the cars coming up - they give you so much more space and are much better about hanging back when space is tight.

I am using the Citymapper quiet cycling route options and that also makes a massive difference. Adds to the journey but so much less stressful.

As a motorcylist who is also encouraged to filter to the front of a queue I find myself not far away from cyclists a lot of the time. Not long ago I realised we're all friends.

Look people in the eye, say "After you", and for me most importantly realise this isn't a race.

The OP's first point of looking is so important. Bikers call it a lifesaver - even with mirrors never swing out or move arounnd without a little check over the shoulder. If you can't manage that comfortably practise, powered two wheeler or pedal.

Also never think you're too good to not need more training...

All good advice above.

While it doesn't replicate the learning experience of 1-1 tuition as offered by a couple of posters above, British Cycling has several pages of videos covering all sorts of riding skills, info etc.

These 3 pages are all commute and leisure based; some good videos in there about road positioning, negotiating junctions and roundabouts, planning safe commuting routes and so on.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/commuting-leisure?&page=1