Rat running - discuss

intexasatthe moment

In my mind driving from a to b by a preferred route is a normal and acceptable activity .The route may be chosen because it's senic ,goes past a property of interest ,or maybe because it avoids congestion on other roads .

Somehow driving via a short cut ,avoiding main through routes has become an activity to be criticised and compared to the activity of rodents .

The constant use of the expression "rat running " which actually seems to mean using fabled "residential "roads with the implication that only residents of those streets should drive up and down them is beginning to grate .

There I feel better for getting that off my chest .

What do you mean... "fabled" residential roads?

Are you denying that there's a material difference between A roads and residential back streets?

I'm not criticising as such, I sometimes follow the sat nav down god knows where to bypass traffic, but at the same time I understand the practice is problematic.

The crazy Peckham one way system has created many such routes, with everyone from boy racers to full size coaches driving down narrow residential roads. It feels very dangerous.

"Are you denying that there's a material difference between A roads and residential back streets?"

The difference is that some roads already carry a great deal more traffic ,both are residential .

I note that you only attach this descriptor to "back" roads .Which is where the fabled comes in ,this area isn't some rural village where children play out on summer evenings .Hoping that it will become like one by trying to force all traffic onto a few roads and describing drivers who use "back" streets as rat runners is a lazy ,knee jerk use of language .

Increasing vehicle movements on an already heavily used road will pollute the air in the samw way that increased traffic on a less well used route .

It could be people who set their sat nav to 'avoid traffic' because I was in a car with someone and we needed to get to Deptford from Crystal Palace Road.

I usually go straight down Barry Road turn right at the bottom and go straight up to turn left at Brenchley Gardens after the traffic lights.

This sat nav took us around every back street eventually emerging at Ryedale and took 3x as long!

?A? roads were created in the mythical past of the last century. Things have changed a little since then. Housing is denser in such roads. If we are making changes for maximum impact then we should be looking to divert traffic from these densely residential A roads onto roads where large front gardens offer some protection from pollution.