Great bookshop

JDR

Have been into great bopkshop today on Bellenden Road called REVIEW. Good advice from staff and really good selection of books for the size. Also, managed to find a great book by a local author who uses same shop!

• 2 weeks later...

popped down there on thursday last week - not only bought some lovely kiddies bopks but noticed that they have a outdoor chess board and a swanky new outdoor backgammon board (doubles up as a brilliant piece of playground equipment for toddlers!) dust off your chess sets and backgammon pieces and get down there.

citizen

• 1 month later...

Not quite as phallic as the life sized self-sculptures he's deposited all around the Hayward Gallery (the one on Waterloo Bridge is pretty detailed and well worth a second look!)

Bellenden Road certainly rocks and Review is a great bookshop

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll have you know Mr Bleep that Bellenden Road

> rocks.

Except the restaurant on the corner opposite this bookshop. The tables had bars between their legs, going corner to corner, that makes it impossible to get close enough to the table to eat, as you can't get your legs under the. Pity, food does look nice.

> It even houses Mr Anthony Gormley's

> studio, that great artist who has deposited

> wonderful sculptures all around this sceptered

> isle and bequeathed Bellenden Road with rusty,

> somewhat phallic, bollards!

I often wonder why I neve saw the Angel of the North trying to squeze out of that doorway!

Speaking Bollards (No jokes please....) Mr G must have had a few going spare as when i visited the Angel Of The North, last time I went to see my family, I realised that they are used around the entrance to the park it stands in.....fascinating!

> Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Except the restaurant on the corner opposite this

> bookshop. The tables had bars between their legs,

> going corner to corner, that makes it impossible

> to get close enough to the table to eat, as you

> can't get your legs under the. Pity, food does

> look nice.

I was so excited when that restaurant re-opened. I had heard wonderful things about the place when it was the Peckham Experiment and really wanted a good place to eat on my doorstep. Well!

Mediocre overpriced food - basically restaurant prices serving pub grub.

My favourite part of the experience was the delightful view I had of a video advertising the menu on continuous loop above the bar so that throughout my meal I could glance up, look at the tacky 70s pictures of staged food and wonder if a different choice would have been more inspiring.

But hoorah for Bellenden Road anyway - Friends of Fabrics is terrifc, Pettitou, Review, Lucius and Richard; Casa.... love them all and the bollards too!

It's always a destination venue for me, Bellenden Road, as I'm in the Upper East Side, but I always have a good time when I'm there - be it at Ganapati, or the Sicilian near the Lane. Bar Story is another favourite of course and I've had some good old-skool fun in The Wishing Well

I've never had a totally satisfactory meal at the Peckham Exp in any of it's incarnations however...

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've never had a totally satisfactory meal at the

> Peckham Exp in any of it's incarnations however...

Peckham Exp. that's the place I mean.

So maybe the tables are warning us to steer clear....