Racism and Discrimination within Southwark Council

Ruby20

I have recently contacted Southwark Council on multiple occasions, each time being ignored, dismissed and left to resolve the issue myself. (Maggot Infestation) My white neighbour reported the same issue and received assistance immediately. The council are aware I have a vulnerable and disabled mother with complex medical needs, so when I bring issues to their attention I expect some urgency given the impact this will have on her health. I have resorted to emailing the CEO, however she refuses to acknowledge, address or assist with any of the issues I have raised. Responses received from other members of the council show clear racial discrimination not to mention call centre staff who are abhorrently rude. The courtesies extended to my neighbour have never been extended to me, despite me calling more often and at reasonable times. When ever I raise an issue with the council they ignore me with concerns falling on death ears. It is causing me anxiety as when I do need help from the council no one is willing to help me with the exception of local councillors and my local MP.

Can anyone suggest an alternative contact or course of action?

I'm very sorry to hear all the problems you're having with Southwark Council, but I can assure you that I have had equally bad service from them mo4 the years and I am white. Some of the people who answer the phone are extremely rude and unhelpful. I wish you lots of luck

Thank you all, I really appreciate your help. My first point of contact is generally my housing housing but there are a number of issues in which he is either reluctant to help or entirely dismissive. My housing officer has changed a few times in the last few years, with the council website lacking updated information, when I contact the council's operator I am given the previous housing officers details despite him having left his post over 18 months ago. On every occasion I am passed from pillar to post or completely ignored.

Just this month, my neighbour and I had an issue with our bins, I contacted the council first thing in the morning whilst she contacted late in the evening. Her issue was resolved the next day whilst mine continued for three weeks. I had to contact my local councillor and local MP in order to have the issue resolved.

I have forwarded all emails to the CEO and requested for calls to be listened to in order to bring this to her attention, disappointingly I am yet to receive response.

That's terrible.

You say you have involved your local councillor and MP to get the actual issue resolved.

Could you also involve them re this? It's disgraceful that the CEO (or someone in her office) is not responding to emails.

It's amazing my local councillors and my MP are so proactive but it is also a waste of tax payers money to continually involve them in such trivial issues. Southwark Council really need to do better.

Eleanor Kelly (Southwark's CEO) seems to be a performative ally, taking advantage of every available PR opportunity without following through in reality.

Its now been two weeks since emailing Eleanor, her office haven't even acknowledged my email.

How unfortunate. I hope you received a delivery notification, if not it's possible the officer was being creative with the truth!

In my instance. I haven't received any delivery notifications and I would assume if the email inbox is full when I send emails it's also full when local councillors and my MP have sent their emails.