Spain and the papers headlines

Spartacus

With Covid 19 on the rise in Spain, whilst it's not welcome news for anyone booked to go to or currently in Spain, I am finding today's headlines a bit strange including "Holiday Chaos" and "Millions of Summer Holidays ruined"

I believe the advice when air corridors were introduced was that travel was at your own risk and the measures could change at short notice. The headlines however don't seem to take into account that there is still a pandemic out there and the change in travel advice has been introduced to hopefully avoid a second wave occurring in the UK.

It's almost as if the media have forgotten all those that caught Covid and the pain and suffering families went through and are just focusing on sensational headlines to stir anger and panic.

It's BS. UK citizens are a far greater threat in Spain than anyone coming in from there. In the 5 days prior to 26th July, there were 426 deaths in the UK and 12 in Spain. It's yet another tory (Cummings) con to fool the gullible.

People complained at dithering and at announcing measures three days or more before implementing them and they complain when swift action is taken. Layering one?s political views on top don?t make the situation any easier to deal with.

Also deaths tend to lag weeks or months behind increases in infection rates, which is what is happening in Spain. Therefore your inaccurate comparison between deaths (which was lower last week than the number you are quoting) and new infections is not really a comparison.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ shows 258 deaths due to covid between 22nd and 27th July.

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's BS. UK citizens are a far greater threat in

> Spain than anyone coming in from there. In the 5

> days prior to 26th July, there were 426 deaths in

> the UK and 12 in Spain. It's yet another tory

> (Cummings) con to fool the gullible.

So they're going to Spain - mingling when drunk then returning

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/14/video-of-drunken-brits-maskless-in-magaluf-appals-spaniards

That says quarantine them to me.

Fake news? I get that governments do lie or dissemble on occasions but I don?t see how come ours or Spain?s would make up or suppress the number of people diagnosed with Covid. It?s a pandemic that will chop and change in spite of our attempts to contain it so expect more figures that may then look ?dodgy? a while later and don?t put it down to conspiracy.

JohnL Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's BS. UK citizens are a far greater threat

> in

> > Spain than anyone coming in from there. In the

> 5

> > days prior to 26th July, there were 426 deaths

> in

> > the UK and 12 in Spain. It's yet another tory

> > (Cummings) con to fool the gullible.

>

>

> So they're going to Spain - mingling when drunk

> then returning

>

> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/14/vide

> o-of-drunken-brits-maskless-in-magaluf-appals-span

> iards

>

> That says quarantine them to me.

The headline says Brits but further down the page it also said Germans were acting irresponsibly....typical denigration of OUR youngsters from the rag

edcam Wrote:

> I see there are a few here who have fallen for the

> con.

What's the nature of this con ? I'm confused or are you a conspiracy theory loo loo who thinks covid was made up 😱

Edcam the deaths are not the question, it's the number of new infections and how many people each infected person passes the infection onto. Death comparison at this stage is like comparing elephants to apples as Spain's infection rate is increasing whilst ours (despite a few small pockets) is falling and death from covid occurs a period of time after infection not immediately on contraction.

Do you really want to see the air bridge reopened possibly bringing a second wave to our shores with potential to mutate and get even more deadly?

Is it that your dislike of the government is so strong that you would want to see more deaths here just as long as it gets a vote of no confidence in the Tory's ? I'm struggling to understand your logic.

I really don't think even you are that callous unless of course you are directly affected by the effective closure of Spain to UK tourists, in which case my sympathy is with you for the loss of your holiday which is 1000 times better than the loss of your life

How on earth the government believe that people will self quarantine for 14 days when they return to the UK when they cant even get a grip on wearing a mask on public transporting shops or social distancing is beyond me.

everyone will want to show off their suntans and hang out with their mates.

many people in lower paid jobs are being told that they have to either take the quarantine as unpaid leave or holiday

for those on zero hours contracts they will end up just going to work.

Spain should never have allowed tourists back this early without quarantine on their side. It's like a virus brewing pot.

In Wave one we sent people to care homes without testing - now we're sending people to large holiday resorts without testing.

I returned from Spain on Tuesday and I have some things to say about this situation....

Spain definitely opened their borders to tourism way early.

48 hours prior to flying we had to fill in a form from the health department in Spain with all our information as well as where we were staying and our seat number on the plane in case someone had symptoms during their stay there, everyone could be contacted about it and self isolate(It happened to a friend that travelled from Madrid to the Canary islands, She was immediately contacted and is doing updates as well as will do a test too).

When we got on the Plane people took their masks off even when the captain was saying not to do it. People started getting drunk and a Woman who was talking to her friends in front of us was fiddling with her teeth and after taking her fingers out of her mouth she touched many seats. Not being funny here though Spain implemented pretty much straight away that masks should be worn when travelling, going to shops etc and UK did that on the 24th of this month...

Once we got to the airport we had to have our form with us to be checked again, they took our temperature and we had to walk through two cameras before getting an approval and being able to leave the airport.

On our way back, just two days after Uk implemented the quarantine the plane had less people and by how people were talking to each other most of them were Spanish. The plane was chilled and people had their masks on all the time.

Upon our arrival we thought we would have a wait like in Spain as checking everyone would take time and to our surprise no one was there to check anything with us. After passport control we just went out for the bus. No one asked for any information and no one was there to instruct anything. We did our forms when we got home as we know how important this is though I doubt everyone is doing it...

So, yes, Spain is having a second spike though they have everyone more controlled to act when necessary and the Uk is nowhere near. Yes, a quarantine has been implemented but I doubt everyone will follow it. No one is checking who is arriving, no one is getting details, no one is making sure this is happening.

Seeing how this is and that France and Germany are not great either I wonder if this is actually because of the virus or if in fact it is a political move regarding Brexit.

France had more new cases than Spain 4 days Ago, and Germany is going the same way however no quarantine for them?