Pubs In England might need to Close again.

DulwichFox

It seems Likely that the reopening of Pubs and restaurants may need to be reversed.

Several pubs in England have already been forced to close after outbreaks of Covid-19.

It seemed inevitable this might happen.

I think if we are forced to close our Pubs again, then that would be it.

There would be NO going back.

I went for a couple of Pints last night at the EDT. 3-4 tables reserved for 'Locals'

I was the only one sitting there 9.00 - 10.30

Very busy outside.

What is the Autumn / Winter likely to bring. ??

Foxy

Foxy , with all your medical conditions I would have thought you would be the last person to question pubs staying open over stopping the virus taking hold again.

It is sad that pubs may need to close again if numbers go up but then again as the Great British public have almost forgotten about social distancing thinking the numbers are so low that it's safe out, then we only have each other to blame for any new increase in cases and any reversals of measures.

Best way to keep pubs open is wear a mask when outside of your own home, don't get too close to others outside your immediate group, keep washing your hands and isolate & get tested if you feel ill. If we all do these simple things hopefully the uplift in cases will turn back down again.

The power to keep pubs open (and other businesses) is totally in our own hands.

Buxton Spring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> NO the real reson is all the blm protestors that

> turn up in thousends without masks and spread

> covid. lets be honest about it n not beat around

> the bush

I hope this is a joke.

Buxton Spring Wrote:

> not a joke at all its a fact but i guess radicals

> like you find it funny . truth hurts

Not hurt, nor laughing... Just shocked at the biased finger pointing!

Buxton Spring Wrote:

> not a joke at all its a fact but i guess radicals

> like you find it funny . truth hurts

got any facts to support your 'fact'?

I feel that pubs should be like restaurants and have a booking system and a maximum stay time. Many restaurants if you book for say 7 pm they ask you to vacate your table by 9.15 to accommodate another sitting at 9.30 pm.

Hubby wet to Plough last night and talking to bar staff was advised that they watch numbers carefully and deny people access if the place gets crowded, also with table service they only have a minimum of staff of each shift.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the point of Govt referring to both pubs/schools in the same sentence is because either being open will inevitably cause infections and they fear having both open will potentially overwhelm the NHS.

That's my take on it - could be wrong though.

Sky News went to a couple of pubs in Manchester this week and weren't impressed by quality of name taking or social distancing (or alternatively purposely made the pubs look rather bad if you see a conspiracy).

I don't see any tightening nationally on this ... but they will do it locally so hoping London stays with low levels of infection.

I think it is inevitable that any space (indoor or otherwise) where viral spread can not be controlled will be ordered to lockdown when seasonal infections arrive. Pubs are particularly at risk because drunk people forget the rules. It is as simple as that, and the empirical evidence is already showing a slow incremental rise in infection rates linked to pubs.

I never understood the logic (if you're trying to moderate infections) of opening pubs, which are basically legalised drug establishments.

So, people will come and take the drug and while on it they are expected to follow some distancing rules, etc.

Obvious recipe for disaster, especially as here in UK the point for many of going to the pub is to get sloshed at which point the rules go out the window.

But the logic I would apply is not the logic the govt applied - their focus is economy, in respect of pub openings.

not so sure about the pubs or marches being solely the blame - I was at the beach recently and it was 'carry on as usual'.

It's general society, believing that this has blown over/ no relevant to them etc.

The BLM marches are a big example of people ignoring social distancing. It's stupid to pretend they were not, even if you're trying to be politically correct and not racist. It's nothing to do with racism.

People are ignoring distancing everywhere, all over the country. On marches, in the street, supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, parks, the lot.

None of these are solely to blame, obviously.

Collectively, they present a specific problem, when we?re trying to absolve ourselves of a nasty pandemic.

We had a chance back in March to get ahead of this and learn the lessons of other countries - we didn't

We had a chance in the many month since to implement proper track and trace systems to match the countries doing better than us - we didn't

We have a chance now to get ahead of a resurgance and excercise caution - but once again we won't. Collectively, from leadership to too much of the population the view is "let's crack on"

oh - and brexit is coming

Brace everyone, brace

Pubs will inevitably not survive the current setup. It?s not sustainable.

The fact we voted for brexit just before a global pandemic was unfortunate, but let?s be clear, as a nation we have setup this entire situation. Our economy was heading for the rocks with or without covid, and the fact pubs are being forced into this horribly tricky situation has been made worse by the national crisis we created ourselves.

Before covid how many pubs a week closed down permanently? Post covid/brexit, we will be lucky to have half the number we currently have left. Sad times.

Louisa.

KidKruger Wrote:

> People are ignoring distancing everywhere, all

> over the country. On marches, in the street,

> supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, parks, the lot.

> None of these are solely to blame, obviously.

> Collectively, they present a specific problem,

> when we?re trying to absolve ourselves of a nasty

> pandemic.

How much of this is hearsay and just reading the newspapers.

Anecdotally I've been to several pubs in several cities/counties since reopening, on holiday in the UK during very hot weather and on the beach and in parks in SE22 throughout the lovely weather of lockdown and I've seen almost no one not being careful and observing social distancing. Maybe i just mix with a better class of people than you lot.

*there is actually one exception to my experience connected to a recent religous ceremony where there were probably 100+ people of all generations having a BBQ in a park in Portsmouth. But we are not really comfortable discussing this I suspect. Hence all the coded stuff in the media about the areas that have had localised shutdowns, even though it's obvious what many of them have in common.

I also think young people are being a bit crap too but i don't know many nowadays

It is very hard to be optimistic. What happens in winter when it is cold and raining every day? Pubs and restaurants won't be filling tables outside then. There is only so far a business can go in price hikes, especially at a time when people are being made unemployed.

I also have to say that far too many commercial landlords have been complete sh+ts too, in expecting their tenants to continue to pay full rent. For a pub or restaurant, this is a major cost that has already seen even big chain stores reduce their outlets, never mind small independent businesses calling it a day.

Does that make me the forth horseman?

Ha. Except is hasn?t really has it? It?s still such a bad idea we had to extend transition period twice and only once he purged the party of any sane MPs is he ploughing ahead with no further extension after January - hence panicky building of massive car parks in Kent etc

So yes. We actually left in January. But transition means everything is the same. That changes in a few months and will badly impact a country barely recovering from covid round 1

Not taking another extension in the middle of all this is genuinely unforgivable.