How to stop smoke from underneath neighbours seeping into flat

sarah-marie

Hi there.. I've had my offer accepted on a little flat in one bed Victorian conversion.. And apart from needing lot of updating old kitchen original fitting 40 years etc etc I thought I was very lucky to find it.. However I viewed now 4 times two of which I smelt smoke. Flat is empty was tenanted.after a battle to get agent to forward emails on etc.. After I said if not then ask if I can have owners details finally after my solicitor got involved the agent sent my email queries. Its confirmed neighbour downstairs smokes and it's why owner had underfloorboards insulation 39 years ago.. But only in lounge and bedroom because pipework etc etc. I have an autoimmune disease and my illness fksred up with any toxins very quickly.. So I'm really worried I can't buy the flat anymore although I love it and been looking 8 months and mine completes next week. Has anyone had experience of this and found other types of floor insulation helped.. Or other ideas. The neighbour lived there 40 years I had chat with him but of course he won't just give up smoking its his home and I don't want to cause upset he smokes at least 30 a day he told me. Any ideas please.. I'm so so sad and spent so much time planning rest of the place over last three weeks and due survey on Tuesday..

There's some extended threads on here I believe covering both 'legal' smoke and 'illegal' (substance) smoke.

In both cases it's clearly fraught with frustration and anxiety.

You could work out cost of air purifiers for every room and subtract that from the offer to the seller, just thinking out loud.

Sounds like a hiding to nothing dealing with smokers. They're addicted, it's all but impossible to give-up, so this problem won't vanish unfortunately. Even a vast reduction in the asking price won't fix your concerns, ultimately.

How old is the person ? Perhaps if they're 70+ you could ask them to up their habit to 60 per day (you pay) and hope for the 'best'.

Haaahaa that's hilarious 😂.. When I knocked and spoke with him he was a lot frailer than I expected and had most teeth missing and thought oh gosh.. And then did cross my mind maybe maybe but thought that's really bad I thought that. But yes in late 70s or looked that way possible early 70s..

Someone mentioned air defusers I'm not familiar with them so will Google. I wonder if they really work though..

I really feel for you, sarah-marie. My neighbours smoke cannabis & frequently light bonfires etc. stinks out my entire house.

Air purifiers can get pretty pricey & there may be cheaper ones out there, but I can say the Dyson actually works.

If you do end up getting one, I think there may be sites {like Next} that allow you to pay it off in parts.

I'd also suggest asking on the EDF Facebook group, where there's more activity & have raised this topic before.

Good luck!

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

The smoke might be getting through in specific places, eg if there are pipes or wires passing through the floor/ceiling, or shrinkage cracks in the ceiling. The downstairs light cabling will run under your floor, with a hole through the ceiling for each light. There could be large gaps around pipes out of sight in cupboard ceilings.

If the downstairs neighbour is cooperative, you could identify and map all the possible leakage points from below, so you can lift specific floorboards from above.

With basic carpentry skills, put a box over the light fittings, so the wiring is still accessible from below. Then use a can of expanding foam around those boxes and on all the other holes. Shrinkage cracks in the ceiling might be best dealt with from below. Best also to do a follow up check after a the smells have dissipated to see if you've missed anything

This will also improve the soundproofing and your, and your neighbour's, fire safety. Electric gadgets such as air filters will do neither.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I installed on in one of my flats - it worked.

>

> Depends how much you want to pay - just look at

> options online

Please can you share the one you have.. Waa it to stop smoke.. Thanks very much

ED Bird Wrote:

> I really feel for you, sarah-marie. My neighbours

> smoke cannabis & frequently light bonfires etc.

> stinks out my entire house.

>

> Air purifiers can get pretty pricey & there may be

> cheaper ones out there, but I can say the Dyson

> actually works.

>

> If you do end up getting one, I think there may be

> sites {like Next} that allow you to pay it off in

> parts.

>

> I'd also suggest asking on the EDF Facebook group,

> where there's more activity & have raised this

> topic before.

>

> Good luck!

>

> Heather {The Wingless Bird}

Thanks so much Heather so you have the Dyson one is it just a free standing type I'm new to this so no idea as yet or it's system installed somehow.. Can you share the one you use.. It stopped the cannabis stink :)

sarah-marie Wrote:

> ED Bird Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I really feel for you, sarah-marie. My

> neighbours

> > smoke cannabis & frequently light bonfires etc.

> > stinks out my entire house.

> >

> > Air purifiers can get pretty pricey & there may

> be

> > cheaper ones out there, but I can say the Dyson

> > actually works.

> >

> > If you do end up getting one, I think there may

> be

> > sites {like Next} that allow you to pay it off

> in

> > parts.

> >

> > I'd also suggest asking on the EDF Facebook

> group,

> > where there's more activity & have raised this

> > topic before.

> >

> > Good luck!

> >

> > Heather {The Wingless Bird}

>

> Thanks so much Heather so you have the Dyson one

> is it just a free standing type I'm new to this so

> no idea as yet or it's system installed somehow..

> Can you share the one you use.. It stopped the

> cannabis stink :)

On the EDF Facebook group just seems they sell stuff.. Just had a look and searched!?

I knew nothing of air purifiers before I took the plunge & bought the Dyson!

I knew that I was happy with my Dyson hoover & handheld, & the hair dryer, so I just hoped for the best. I actually ordered mine to relieve my hayfever, which it had great reviews for, & it really has helped. It just so happened to take out any cooking smells & the cannabis/bonfire/BBQ smokes too!

I've had mine for roughly 4 years, so I'm having trouble finding the exact same one via the site. They've since brought out newer models. Mine is the tall, slim tower {in the picture}, but if I was to get another, I'd definitely get one I can sit on a surface, so I can move it from room to room. Oh, & with a cooling effect too! Because mine just gives that illusion of coolness, when it's just blowing around warm air :))

Re. EDF Facebook

You might be on the sale section. Are there 2 tabs, one for posts & the other for sales? Neighbours are constantly talking & asking for advice on there. Alternatively, try EDM https://www.facebook.com/groups/EastDulwichParents/- they're lovely!

ED Bird Wrote:

> I knew nothing of air purifiers before I took the

> plunge & bought the Dyson!

> I knew that I was happy with my Dyson hoover &

> handheld, & the hair dryer, so I just hoped for

> the best. I actually ordered mine to relieve my

> hayfever, which it had great reviews for, & it

> really has helped. It just so happened to take out

> any cooking smells & the cannabis/bonfire/BBQ

> smokes too!

>

> I've had mine for roughly 4 years, so I'm having

> trouble finding the exact same one via the site.

> They've since brought out newer models. Mine is

> the tall, slim tower {in the picture}, but if I

> was to get another, I'd definitely get one I can

> sit on a surface, so I can move it from room to

> room. Oh, & with a cooling effect too! Because

> mine just gives that illuustion of coolness, when

> it's just blowing around warm air :))

>

>

> Re. EDF Facebook

>

> You might be on the sale section. Are there 2

> tabs, one for posts & the other for sales?

> Neighbours are constantly talking & asking for

> advice on there. Alternatively, try EDM

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/EastDulwichParents

> /- they're lovely!

>

Thanks so much

So yours is free standing too and I guess need leave on all time if smoking all the time.. Are they noisy

Mine gets noisy as you level up. It's quiet up to level 5, then it'll start to sound like a laptop's fan, & then around level 10 it sounds furious :))

It does have a night mode, which is quiet. But I imagine the latest models will be better {or I'd hope so}.

ED Bird Wrote:

> Mine gets noisy as you level up. It's quiet up to

> level 5, then it'll start to sound like a laptop's

> fan, & then around level 10 it sounds furious :))

>

> It does have a night mode, which is quiet. But I

> imagine the latest models will be better {or I'd

> hope so}.

Oh wow the harder it eats all the cannabis the angrier it gets as opposed to calming it..

Thanks Heather

>

JohnL Wrote:

> sarah-marie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Diable seems like at moment they are being put

> on

> > at higher price though..

>

> Thats the Stamp Duty effect

Hmm but like instead of 325 those ones now jumped to 350!!

JohnL Wrote:

> Wow - that's some increase - 8% or so.

>

> I really don't know what will happen in 2021

> though - so if you find somewhere you really like

> I'd go for it.

>

> Maybe with the smoking issue - take off 25K :)

Ha I think she will easily find someone else to buy it as already on at low price as needs doing up.. Its not the money really its my health :(

Sue Wrote:

> Thank goodness you found out before you exchanged

> contracts!

Yes and it's sad 😔 though.. feeling I'm too thorough as look into everything ie any major works or if problems with neighbours and I guess nothing will be ideal but do feel can't compromise on this one.. Waa already compromising on old skool Boiler and water timer and small lounge..

Clutterqueen Wrote:

> If you smelt smoke on two out of your four

> viewings I'm surprised you went ahead with

> anything, especially if you have a condition that

> makes you vulnerable.

>

> I hope you get it sorted.

I offered after first visit and no smoke that time. Next time smoke but thought maybe just because flat shut up. Next time not so bad and last time was there and then spoke to neighbour and finally got email from owner and confirmed but yes had already offered very quickly.