Selling CDs - thoughts

mancity68

Going to bite the bullet and sell the circa 1000+ CDs I never listen to and liberate some space. What experience do people have of using the various selling sites?

I'm obviously used to selling on eBay but can't be bothered to do each Cd individually so was thinking of MusicMagpie, Ziffit or Zapper or a n other. The genres I'll be selling are eclectic - indies, rock, clicks and bleeps, weird stuff...

Has anyone done this and which generated best return?

I've used Ziffit. About 5 years ago when I last used them the return was poor about 10p-20p a cd for mainly rock and it has to be complete with any inserts or badges or whatever. I've used them for books too- mainly set text books and the return was poor. I also noticed that the World of Books and Ziffit occupy a unit on the same Worthing industrial estate.....

It is easy to use.

As @seenbeen says you're likely to only get pennies via the likes of Music Magpie.

I used to buy job lots of records at auctions, estate sales and the like even though there might be only one or two records in the collection I'd be after.

So how about going down the eBay route after all but dividing your unwanted collection into job lots of, say, 100 CD's each, making sure there's some rarer and more desirable stuff within each lot? Obviously you'd need to describe each disc carefully noting things like deleted items, signed items, promos, Japanese discs with obi strips, limited editions and other rarities etc. but that's nowhere near as bad as the hassle of selling each disc individually.

Double check for any potentially really valuable items of course and, if you still want to sell those, have a look at Discogs.

I music magpie'd mine a few years back. You get very little for them but at least process is very easy - just scan the barcodes on them and it tots up the prices as you go. Stick 'em in a box and they collect.

To their credit, their pricing did correctly identify items which were rarer, including a number of items I didn't realise were worth more (the most I got was about ?8 for one CD I think.. but the majority were peanuts of course).

The process of selling hundreds of separate items on eBay didn't appeal. Sold them, haven't missed them since. Nor the vinyl.

• 1 month later...

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have about a hundred or so DVDs to get rid of

> too😄

>

> I don't want to throw them away..... Any ideas of

> a worthwhile cause who may benefit from them?

>

> They are a mixed lot of DVDs......

St Christopher's will have them! 2 shops in Lordship Lane, big one probably better

I got rid of two hundred plus cds a while back on music magpie. Do it to make money and you'll be sorely disappointed. Have the mindset that you've got them all ripped anyway and /or they're on Spotify, and someone is giving you a few quid to make space in your house and everything is OK.