Sadiq Khan

TheCat

Has he done a good job for London? I'm not sure myself, so interested in views.....

I know the role is more figurehead, than actually has powers to change many things....but we do need to vote soon.....

There's an article on the spectator about Sadiq which the link seems to be broken to when I try to post it. But u can search on their site if you want

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/16/sadiq-khan-has-failed-londoners/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/sadiq-khan

Clutterqueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interesting to see the OP's links are not valid or

> come to nothing

I don't know how 'interesting' it is....(loaded comment?).....but apols, the first link didn't work for some reason......

On Transport alone he is an abject failure. TfL was in debt before the Covid and then he allowed free fares (even though it's all contactless anyway!)...what an idiot. Now he wants another ?5 billion from central government. Not to mention the traffic chaos now. The Communities secretary should take over and Khan should step down . And JohnL wants him to have MORE powers.....

He proved what a puerile idiot he is WITH the Trump thing- he was an embarrassment of the highest order.

Actually seenbeen, TFLs debt was reducing under Khan, until the pandemic hit. All the figures are online for you to see for yourself. The money he now wants, is to offset the loss of income from massively reduced passengers due to the pandemic. You might also want to look at the part the government are playing in fueling that debt too ;)

seenbeen Wrote:

> On Transport alone he is an abject failure. TfL

> was in debt before the Covid and then he allowed

> free fares (even though it's all contactless

> anyway!)...what an idiot. Now he wants another ?5

> billion from central government. Not to mention

> the traffic chaos now. The Communities secretary

> should take over and Khan should step down . And

> JohnL wants him to have MORE powers.....

> He proved what a puerile idiot he is WITH the

> Trump thing- he was an embarrassment of the

> highest order.

If he could raise taxes or even keep the taxes already coming from London there would be a lot more coming in.

London has always subsidised the rest of the country.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/checked-out/84933/does-london-really-subsidise-the-uk

The argument for London having more independence isn't dependent on the Mayor of the moment - it's logical that London should have as much independence as Scotland. To be honest I don't think the Mayor has as much power as Ken Livingstone and the GLC did in the 80s.

BJ taking no interest in the detail caved in on TfL funding (loss of operational grant). Khan may have escalated the problem but the current PM started it. But of course as he is amusing we will let him off, let him off everything. BJ also proposed the ULEZ (not a bad thing in my opinion but very interventionist for a Tory mayor). But of course when you are a narcissist party politics don't come into play. BJ also quite happily spoke about London's position as a major power in Europe when he was Mayor and close working with Paris and Berlin. ie the EU. I was at two major Air Quality events when he said all of this. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21443439 https://www.tssa.org.uk/en/whats-new/news/index.cfm/tfl-financial-review-must-herald-return-of-operating-grant And that vanity project the new ludicrously expensive routemaster.

Sorry to use this thread to bash the PM but he deserves it. Khan is just a bit underwhelming but not a crook as Ken became nor someone who's views just change with the wind/makes it up as he goes along as does BJ.

Spartacus Wrote:

> Just to be controversial

>

> Do we need a mayor at all ?

>

> Just think about the layers of bureaucracy that

> can be peeled away without one. Much like when the

> GLA was disbanded 🤔

If London has a vote to increase or decrease devolution (and I'm OK with that - we can put abolish or extend on the ballot) then only fair so should Scotland and Wales (abolish, extend, independence).

Sephiroth Wrote:

> Citation needed

Some people think London should be all Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Mary Poppins.

Cities change and I like the London we have now - I may not like it in 20 years but so be it.

ED Bird Wrote:

> Just because you live in your own little bubble,

> JohnL, doesn't make everyone anti-British.

I'd have thought you would have accused me of living on a bit of a genrification leftie liberal bubble if anything LOL.

I'm old enough to have heard people say "best of british luck to you".

"He's destroyed this countries capital & is now intent on destroying London's history."

could we go back in time to the last time London (this countries capital lest we forget) was up to scratch? Like, name the year?

Now please illustrate exactly what is wrong with it in 2020 and detail how it's on SK

Thanks

(my position on SK is that he has largely been underwhelming, even before covid. The arrival of Johnson and his open hostility and obvious maneouvres to deprive Khan of power have given me some sympathy towards him. And then there is the obvious point about how he acts as a ligntning rod for the.....less savoury elements of society. I don't think anyone who criticises Khan (often with good reason) should ignore this element.

So yes - he hasn't been great. But he was up against Zac Goldsmith (no!) and next Shaun Bailey (no x 2) So....)

Sephiroth Wrote:

>

> (my position on SK is that he has largely been

> underwhelming, even before covid. The arrival of

> Johnson and his open hostility and obvious

> maneouvres to deprive Khan of power have given me

> some sympathy towards him. And then there is the

> obvious point about how he acts as a ligntning rod

> for the.....less savoury elements of society. I

> don't think anyone who criticises Khan (often with

> good reason) should ignore this element.

> So yes - he hasn't been great. But he was up

> against Zac Goldsmith (no!) and next Shaun Bailey

> (no x 2) So....)

Red letter day. I happen to agree with all of this Sept, nice summary.

It does seem a little like the conservatives aren't even really trying with their candidates the past 2 elections. One could argue they weren't trying with Boris, but that's a whole other discussion!) Perhaps they don't think it's worth the effort, but I would think if they put a higher profile candidate in this time they would be in with a shot.

"Red letter day. I happen to agree with all of this Sep"

I don't think it's quite the first time but notable all the same!

" One could argue they weren't trying with Boris"

Now HERE is a man who is destryoing the country. That said - it's easy to forget now that he is on his way out already but the Tories were definitely trying with him - he was popular, had a sheen of positivity and delivered a big majority

All a house built on sand of course - but he delivered in the short term ( for the Tories. And to borrow my Khan argument, he was up against a visibly useless Corbyn who would have struggled against anyone. Goldsmith/Bailey included)