Tree pits in the centre of a much-used footpath

Nigello

I saw about four squares with the word ?tree? inside spray painted on the footpath from DH station to the main road. It?s not a very wide pavement (but about 25% wider than, say, the footpaths in residential streets in SE22, eg CP Road) so is this a good idea, given the large footfall generally and peak hour crowds?

I have seen a couple of these 'TREE' markings

I thought it was to indicate that a tree was once there

so that workmen / Work persons repairing pavements would know there were stumps below.

It had not occurred to me it was where New trees were to be planted.

A lot of our streets / roads are very narrow where any new trees would be too close

to houses and over time cause damage to the houses. Also block out light.

Also over time Lift up pavements.

If you like Trees.. Go to the Park. There are 100's of them there.

Foxy

The person in charge has seen the thread and says the council is committed to planting trees on Champion Hill, and that the grass verges (I think this means the sidings) are not suitable for such planting. I replied, asking them to consider the chance of accidents especially amongst those with disabilities, pointing out the council?s obligation to take any rules or regulations in mind.

I?m all for trees but don?t think these will be in the right place.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• That is clearly not true. I see car drivers breaking the law on an hourly basis - jumping red lights, speeding, not obeying the general rules. Plus they are operating considerably more dangerous machinery and should have a greater responsibility of care to other road uses. You can see who causes the most harm by the stats. 
    • Looking for a suit for an 11 year old. Quite specific, white with black thin stripes.  Trying to replicate Michael Jacksons smooth criminal costume.  A blue linen shirt and white tie.    Thank you !!!!!!!
    • A quick Google found this, amongst other things: "Social impact models are frameworks or approaches that guide how organizations or initiatives address social or environmental problems."
    • "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it must be a duck" comes to mind Unfortunately, a large number of cyclists do exhibit selfish amd anti social behaviour which, regardless of how many good cyclists there are, is seen as the norm.  It's a bit like one car driver jumping a red light and all car drivers getting tarred by the same brush. Perception is the issue and if cyclists all obeyed the rules, everyone would be less anti them but unfortunately that isn't the case 🤔
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In