Olympics brand launch joke

AnotherPaul

erm. we have a brand for our olympics.

great if you're into nu-rave, not so if you like designs which are in anyway pleasant.

http://www.london2012.com/about-newlook-video.html

i'm laughing but in a 'that's a bloody waste of opportunity and money' kind of way.

and Mr Blair says "When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life"

Is he looking at the same designs as me?

AP

Cripes I had a quick butchers at work but have no sound on my puter so will have to watch it properly tonight.

Urm, I don't even know what 'new media networks' means, I'm presuming that's referring to watching the OG on your mobile phone?

Is it me or does it just remind you of titles from kids Saturday morning shows? 'Live and Kicking' came to mind straight away, I was even singing the theme tune in my head as I watched it... Saturday Morning TV Maybe it will see the come back of Trevor and Simon, sorely missed.

I kind of like the new logo but wonder if it will already be dated by 2012 as the theme they've picked is very 'now'.

It's a bit, er, 'eighties'. Which might be kinda-cool now (so they say) but will no doubt be hopelessly out of date when we actually get to 2012.

Here's an interesting site (if you like that sort of thing) with all the previous Olympic logos. Design-wise, I'm a Helsinki 1952 man myself.

The designers of the Munich '72 logo clearly lost the plot.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-emblem.html

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's a bit, er, 'eighties'. Which might be

> kinda-cool now (so they say) but will no doubt be

> hopelessly out of date when we actually get to

> 2012.

>

> Here's an interesting site (if you like that sort

> of thing) with all the previous Olympic logos.

> Design-wise, I'm a Helsinki 1952 man myself.

> The designers of the Munich '72 logo clearly lost

> the plot.

>

> http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-

> emblem.html

I love tokyo '64 and am quiet scared by the rome, is that a dog?

I'd put money on the Munich designers having had a hand in the new London logo.

hell, in five years time it'll be a design classic - was the tube map considered "pleasant" when it was first launched? work of bloody genius...

and I repeat, it's INTERACTIVE - you can download it and play with the shapes and colours - that's got to appeal to the kids (or is it just me?) frankly all of us are far too old to be taking part in 2012, but the youth, our unspoiled golden promise of tomorrow - they're the ones that matter here

hi Rosie, please, this can't be compared with the tube map. That was original, perfectly fulfilled it's function and upset some folk because it was thought too abstract. We know that's guff now but that doesn't mean this olympic brand will follow the same journey from ridicule to adoration. Apols if i mislead, 'Pleasant' was the wrong word to use, I generally loath 'pleasant'.

Ahem, being something of a smart-arse in this field, 'interactive' is often used to obscure a dearth of ideas. If a design is not good enough making it all bendy and remixable is just polishing the proverbial turd

AP

I'm not a smart arse in this field but I don't like it either. I think of Olympic logos on flags and banners and on the chest of beach volleyball players and other athletes. As a branding excercise the interactive "thing" is probably great but the logo is not something I, as a Londoner, feel proud of.

To me, this:

http://www.london2012.com/img/logo/medium-pink-yellow.png

is not very nice. Someone's also just pointed out to me that it says 2012.

snorky Wrote:

> Its LIsa Simpson performing a sex act.:'(

..on Woody Woodpecker.

(Surely the filthiest name for a cartoon character ever devised)

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> hi Rosie, please, this can't be compared with the

> tube map. That was original, perfectly fulfilled

> it's function and upset some folk because it was

> thought too abstract. We know that's guff now but

> that doesn't mean this olympic brand will follow

> the same journey from ridicule to adoration.

ok, I'm not going to win this one am I? Clearly it's not the tube map, but neither is it entirely without merit. and it's got people talking at least... you wait and see, some of them will say good things - a designer friend of mine (see I know something about it too) captured my sentiments:

"it?ll probably grow on me, but I?m hating the way the british public (who have no taste) are getting all knee-jerk- arsey over a logo, and start demanding that the old logo (which truly was bland rubbish) is reinstated"

I don't think it's entirely without merit. As a bit of design, it's actually quite clever.

Anyone who has worked at such a task (ie trying to come-up with something to please a zillion committees, all of whom have their own different ideas about what the final product should be) will know what an impossible task it is. I think, when you look at it, you can see it ticking lots of boxes which were no doubt requested. I say congrats to the designers for getting the job!

But I still find it hard to like, mainly because I think it looks old-fashioned. Retro can be cool, if done well. Old-fashioned can't be.

lorkes i don't want that old one either, that was virtually the old tory logo. I find it interestin that when we want to win the olympics we come across all red white and blue, classical type and billowing flags. once we've got the games we go all fluro bonkers. very strange, a form of national schizophrenia?

That's an incredibly snotty comment from said designer. "?the british public (who have no taste)?". Boo!

Have to admit, the new logo does look a bit... unusual. You hardly notice the "2012" and the "London" and rings elements. And, clearly, the designer has been listening to Klaxons and CSS.

However I think it's a bit mean and lazy to jump on the critical bandwagon. It's really easy to slag something off but requires a bit of brainpower to suggest what you'd do instead. At least this logo is polarising opinions - surely a good sign? It's bright, dynamic and very now. I'd rather that than some dull, corporate piece of blandness designed not to offend anyone. The logos we remember are the ones that went out on a limb and captured the zeitgeist, like Mexico '68.

I'd rather that it grew on me than we spend more money on getting another one. In fact the more I look at it the more it looks like a camp person, hand on hip and lifting up a limp wrist in a

http://www.skynews.com.au/photos/SkyNews_Image_20070309053609.jpg style.

Or Lisa Simpson.

[edited once]