Camden embraces 'corporate culture'

Tom

Recent newsletter - which I thought may be of intrest considering the views widely aired on the forum...

How many times will a council have to desecrate a historic shopping area before some bright spark in town planning realises that our streets are losing the personalities that made them legendary?

The latest locality to fall victim of a council seeing more pound signs than sense is Camden. Having grown up flittering away pocket money on Camden Market?s vintage clothing treasures, my heart sank at news that London Underground is seeking compulsory purchase powers and planning permission to demolish parts of the Camden Stables Market. Also under threat is the infamous Electric Ballroom, the Trinity United Reformed Church and other nearby properties.

The idea is that Camden needs an improved tube station more than the ramshackle retail landmarks that continue to attract Londoners as well as tourists from across the world. Camden council has also put its weight behind the strategy and is mid-way through a programme to create a ?more corporate environment? in central Camden, called the Boulevard Project.

Camden has always thrived on being the antithesis of corporate. The grungy clutter of second-hand fashion stalls and slightly seedy boozers still lure this fashion hack to the Stables on regular Sundays. And that?s in spite of the teenage pushers and peddlers of tourist tat that outnumber the Goths, punks, greasers and ravers that have called Camden their spiritual home since the 1960s.

What are your thoughts on the potential demise of Camden? Do you have any stories of other local areas dying because of rent rises or town planning overhauls? If so, you can post your comments via the blog at www.drapersblog.com.

You can sign an online petition protesting against the situation in Camden at www.petitiononline.com/StablesM.

I recently wrote a series of articles on the redevelopment in King?s Cross (It falls under Camden Council)

It seems Camden has taken the decision to become a commercial rather than residential borough. It is especially trying to reduce the amount of social housing it provides in favour of commercial property. More than half of the social housing it currently provides does not meet the Decent Homes Standard laid out by the government. So they either desperately need the money or are using this as an excuse to squeeze out council tenants.

Either way there is big money in turning anything close to central London into office space and from what has happened at King?s Cross the council can be pretty brutal when it comes to pushing through planning permission to demolish listed buildings.

I recognise where the guys are coming from - it's a sort of 'Platonic' dream Saturday Camden.

I worked there for 7 years.

During the week however it's a windblown sh*thole full of crackheads, needles and drive by shootings. Two people have been murdered outside our office there. I've been assaulted twice on the way to the tube, and it's unusual for a hoodie not to muscle you in a pathetic attempt to steal your wallet as you walk past.

It's important not to fudge several issues together. Camden tube is clearly not up to its role, and is working so far over capacity it's dangerous. This needs redevelopment, and the Electric Ballroom is going to be the fall guy simply because you can't funnel 30,000 people a day through a 3m doorway.

I do agree that the proposal is more Bluewater than Blue Funk though, and a more quirky approach to the building would be infintely more desirable.

The stables market is a slightly different issue, half the units have been empty there for longer than I've worked there. If it worked already that wouldn't be the case - so that in itself demands development. But I do however think that the building thrown up near the railway line is a monstrosity.

In both respects I think that campaigning to retain the status quo is redundant - our aim should be to find the balance which retains the areas charm.

I used to love the market when I was a long haired teen in leather jacket (as opposed to long haired "grown up"), but last time I went (about 3 years ago), it was absolute shite!!!!!!

All the live music venues have gone down hill too (td)

We went to Camden at the weekend and I do enjoy going now and again - actually bought a dress in the market but the main problem is that the shops/stalls all sell the same stuff! Once had a great night out at the Electric Ballroom so it would be a shame if it shuts (though I am now too old to frequent such places).