The White Stuff has landed...there goes the neighbourhood!...

MadWorld74

There is another clothes shop for gents - on the way to the station. Usefully they also do money transfer if you decide to kill 2 birds with one stone. Only popped in once for about 10 secs though. ANyone else been in properly?

White stuff (as far as chain stores go) are ok... I've bought several items from there although I do tend to go for stuff without the logo (as with anywhere)

They do tend to locate stores away from the rest of the high-street herd and have retained a less corporate identity and are not on the ethical consumer boycott list

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/boycotts_list.htm

>>'The White Stuff has landed, there goes the neighbourhood!'...nothing like a quite entrance into LL is there?!<<

Uh no....what the signs/posters actually say is "There goes the neighborhood". As if being a very ordinary chain plonked down in an area totally unsuited to this kind of shop were not enough, they then go and rub salt in the wound by inflicting an american spelling within a trite though strangely accurate slogan....

To contradict you a wee bit Simon, Lordship Lane is oft compared on here to Eccie Rd Sheffield (long a home to a White Stuff) so not sure I agree it's totally unsuited

(and with only ED offering a very very small range of clothes it;s not as if any local retailer is going to feel the pinch?)

I'm with simon. I make no bones about being lazy, but am I missing something: do we actually NEED to buy our clothes locally? We're only in zone 2 - if any of you are stuck I can recommend some very fine clothiers that have a fine array of non-identikit garb that won't leave you looking like a refugee from Clapham. And only a bus ride away

Ye gads - the white stuff - my heart is sinking

Ultimately all clothes are identikit garb, wherever one buys them from.. The best way forward is to mix and match, using one's own style and judgement.

Do we need a clothes shop locally? Do we need anything locally if everything is a short bus-hop away?

I made the point earlier to compare with previous discussion re coffee chains (we already have plenty of good coffee, what does a chain bring?) and re: therapy chains (we already have... etc)

There are already many places I don't go in ED so if a place opens I don't like the look of then that;s ok. My (own, personal, others disagree) wish is that ED doesn't become Swindon/Basingstoke/Croydon (I've lived there I can say that) and I don't think White Stuff is likely to bring us closer to that day

I agree RosieH - definitely dont need to buy our clothes locally and dont think I ever have .... but pray tell where would you recommend? (for men that is........) it is after all all too easy to buy decent(ish) womens clothes. Does your "knowledge" cater for men? Ingtrigued....

I am really curious as to what exactly we would put in that location that would please everybody. We're not actually missing anything in Lordship Lane as far as I can see. We've got our butchers/ fishmongers/ gastro pubs - we have plenty of gift shops, a card shop, coffee shops, kitchen equipment shop, diy shop, stationers, supermarket, albeit Somerfields, ... if we agree empty shops are not useful, then come on guys - what do you want?

Personally I think The White Stuff know their market pretty well if they have chosen to set up shop here. Their clothes are functional yet with a nod towards staying young (even if you are actually thirty/ forty-something). They are the sort of clothes worn by people who might consider themselves outdoorsy types but in reality probably define an outdoors trip as a stroll in Dulwich Woods followed by a latte on Lordship Lane.

Personally occasionally I'd quite like to be able to buy a simple top locally (and yes I know there are other places that do that ... but those which are not vintage are actually quite expensive.

Must we always complain?

>>>To contradict you a wee bit Simon, Lordship Lane is oft compared on here to Eccie Rd Sheffield (long a home to a White Stuff) so not sure I agree it's totally unsuited <<<

Ah the dear old Eccleshall Road. I did use to know it very well (my mother even had a clothes shop on Abbeydale Road for a time!) but have little idea how it is now. I do recall though seeing a White Stuff in the middle of Harrogate's main shopping area only a few weeks ago, and thought then how much such an area suited it, and how incongruous it would seem on LL. And I don't just mean the prices either: it seems to me that a shop like "White Stuff" is just more suited to an area wher people make a day/half day of clothes shopping and like to try several shops/several similar garments in different shops before actually buying. But we shall see

(Still cannot forgive them for "neighborhood" though - didn't their researchers cotton on to the fact that one of the main attractions to (younger?) families in ED and its environs and purlieus is the quality of the various local education establishments?:)) )

Im looking forward to white stuff opening,its a long time coming,i know its a chain but as chains go this is a nice 1,we have great local shops who sell really lovely stylish clothes,but i think whitestuff are filling that elusive gap in the market locally of buying something casual and inexpensive.And they obviously have a sense of humour too:))

Mr Administrator,

Can I just say that occasionally the odd one liner really does not need to be reprimanded... if people are not allowed to develop a rapport and banter during debate then really, each thread will be very dull. I appreciate it must be quite difficult being omnipresent but even God had a sense of humour... how else would we explain the existence of jellyfish.

ps. Just to stay "on topic" - White Stuff does a very nice line of motifs... including various sea creatures.