Barbecue advice please regarding vegetarians

Bellenden Belle

So I am hosting a bbq.

How do people cope with catering for both meat eaters and vegetarians? As in - do I need two barbecue kits? Or do you cook the vegetarian stuff first? Or should I get a rather swish bbq that has separate facilities (don't really want to do that as I don't plan on using it that often). I imagine this is a common issue. Don't want to ask the actual vegetarians themselves since I don't want them to feel as if they are a nuisance (they're not) but I want to get it right.

And can anyone recommend a good bbq for catering for about 20 people?

Many thanks

BB

I would say, as a veggie, two barbies best. Or do veggie stuff first. Depends how rabid the veggies are but most of us would not want to taste the burning flesh on our food.

If you are catering for 20 people you are going to need several bbqs I would have thought. Some things cook quicker than others anyway so a rotation vibe will be necessary.

good luck us veggies are a pain!

But but but

Tillie.... it's not the SAME!

You will get good food and it will be fine and it will be easier.. but it's not the same as a properly marinated concoction, properly barbecued

Mind you.. I haven't had a garden (meaning no barbecue) for years... I'm just jealous of people who can

The BBC website recommend your method too Tillie... I shall consult with the chef,my fire-wielding hubby, but I think it is sound advice.

As the guru of barbecues how do you cope with those veggies Tillie... in your opinion do I really need LOTS of barbecues ( as suggested by Asset - I thought I was pushing the boat out thinking of two?

I shall be sure to pass on the Beeb's tips to Hisar next time I go there

"No need for all of that carcoal business matey, you've been smoking this room out for long enough"

;-)

I love the Beeb but it's food recipes and output is pretty lame. Look up a recipe on bbc.co.uk/food and you will as likely get a recipe from ready Steady Cook as anything - "marinade for 10 mins" - why bother. Actually it's probably better for vegetables but for meat??

If we are used to tasting meat off British BBQs (and it's fine in and of itself) then the method is probably ok.. But it is what it is. Meat, seasoning, done too quickly on a hot grill.. However..

If you have tasting a proper proper evangelical BBQ with a day of marinading, and enclosed smoke rooms etc then we are talking about something different. Personally I have never been to a British BBQ and thought I am SO going to make that myself...I have had some quickly seared food with some seasoning outdoors. And I love it. But it can be better than that. I mean the mean should be running to meet you! Falling off the bone that easily....

This all sound typically me (ie giving out about the way others do things) but I'm just trying to raise the game...

Back to the original question - if I were a vegetarian there is no way I would want mine done on the same grill. And if it was done first but had to wait around for the meat tehn it would go cold and limp - so I reckon 2 is a minimum. But as Asset said if you are catering to several people then several will be necessary if you want to feed at same time

Oh - Asset - I'm sorry I wasn't criticising at all; just asking a second opinion! I think I shall buy two normal permanent ones (one for veggies, one for meaties, and then maybe one disposable one too... 20 people didn't feel like a lot in my head, but if they are all hungry I could get savaged (though obviously not by the vegetarians)!

Well good for BB for making the effort!

I never expect people to make a fuss for me - I am used to having to make do with salad and a bread roll at bbq's and so avoid them if possible! But I don't expect non-vegetarians to eat veggie stuff when they visit me. Mind you I just take them out to eat and that solves the problem.

One thing's for sure though - I will never feel guilty about being veggie when visiting people - if they don't provide a veggie option for me, well that's up to them.

Personally, I would not cook meat for meat-eating friends.

Not doing something is different from doing something if you know what I mean.

Why is it always seen as 'going to the trouble of' cooking without meat. Have you no imaginations?