Golf Locker Room

Mick Mac

Yes I know, noone will want this thread apart from me maybe, but I'm going to do it anyway, so here goes for talking to myself:

Watching Setanta tonight (that great value credit crunch sports channel @ ?10 p/m) and the US golf is on. Tiger is back and guess what he is like 1 shot behind the leaders in the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I thought he might never be the same again after his operation, but so much for that thought.

He's playing with Paddy Harrington today and Padraig is 4 behind in the first round.

Easter weekend and Harrington is going for what Paddy Power are calling stage 3 of the Paddy Slam. Only 3 golfers have ever won 3 majors in succession, Woods, Nicklaus and Hogan. Wouldn't Harrington love to add his name to that list.

Any (golf) comments gratefully received......

Is it possible for non-members to play at Dulwich Golf Course?

Have played there once when a work colleague and myself went with our boss who was a member. He told us to become a member he had to be nominated by a member(s?) and once that was ok'd, he then had to pass an interview with the club captain!..

I'm glad someone started this thread because it may come as quite a shock to some but not only do I enjoy golf but I'm actually quite good at it. I used to caddie for my dad when I was in school and took a likeing to the sport. I usually play about twice a month at the Beckenham golf course.

Red Devil. "Is it possible to play without being a member". DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. I and a friend entered the course without paying and I nearly lost my thumb to their Pitbull and the course isn't very good either.

There's a couple of good holes, but I was really dissapointed with this course. Only lived in the area for a couple of years and not really had a chance to explore other local courses yet. Is there any within say 5 miles which are good? Don;t really mind paying dollar as long as the course is interesting and reasonably challenging.

Ratty walk down through Sydenham Woods from the Woodhouse, branch right and it's there near the allotments - it's really rather splendid with views etc. I played there once but am a bit like Brendan in terrms of ability.

Still - with the weather improving perhaps a midweek game at some point?

Yes Sean - I'd be up for a game at some stage - but I have yet to meet anyone on this fourm so maybe I should make it along to the forum drinks first to get acquainted. But if you manage to arrange something in the meantime let me know.

Masters tees off tomorrow, any thoughts on who might win or a good EW bet?

It's fairly open this year, Tiger's back and already in the winning groove, how will Boy Wonder Rory cope with the pressure?, Harrington's going for the the Paddy Slam...I reckon a non-US player will win it and will have an EW punt on Rose (he tees off with Stenson tomorrow, so that should be good for his game), and Goosen who's hit a bit of form and knows how to win a Major...

I might back Rory for a bit of fun but of course it would be a stretch to see him winning. Rose and Goosen are good calls too. I'm not sure if Harrington has a good Masters record but he must be in the running.

I played golf at Westport at the weekend and there was a picture of McIlroy picking up the Irish Amateur championship there in 2005 aged 15 years old - the best amateur in Ireland at age 15 is amazing - he looked like a child in the picture. Amazing progression. Really would like to see him make the cut and be there for the weekend - after that who knows.

I've had a tenner on Zach Johnson for starters Quids - at 50/1 on betfair - not bad for a former champion. He also did well in a recent USPGA tournament.

Outsiders Calcavecchia and Fred Couples? Harrington worth a bet too perhaps.