Aeolian Islands

benjaminty

Hi Georgia ... well to improve your geography some what .... they're a group of volcanic islands just off the coast of Italy... Apparently the total inhabitance of one island upped and left one day in the 50's and all went to live in Australia .. random but true! Mixed reviews as being either party islands or desolate and serene.... and now torn as to what I'll get. waaahhhhh!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=aeolian%20islands&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

About fifteen years ago I spent 6 months working in Milazzo, the main port for ferries/hydrofoils to the islands, and went often. I went back on my honeymoon (1998) and stayed on Lipari, and visited Panarea, Vulcano and Stromboli.

It's been a while, but I doubt things have changed too much. Most of the visitors are Italian, which means they descend in hordes in July and August, but are sparse at other times. Panarea and Stromboli have quite a few fancy places to stay, and get a lot of private yacht traffic in season. Lipari and Vulcano are more straightforward family holiday type places, but nothing like the scale of Spanish resorts.

The islands that everyone left are Filicudi and Alicudi, and they're still pretty quiet.

Not sure about Salina - never went.

I love the Aeolians - great food, nice people, low key, and each of the islands is different. None of them qualify as party islands say Ibiza style.

Another random fact - they used to mine pumice on Lipari (maybe still do), and the waste heaps are like huge mountains of talcum powder. You used to be able to slide down them into the sea - imagine powder skiing on your backside. There's a famous scene of people doing this in an old italian film, the name of which I can't remember.

If you go, have a meal at the Filipino restaurant in Lipari - it's one of the best in Sicily.