Horse Racing Tips

Ladygooner

if you,re just going for a bit of craic bet on the favourites and you might get a win,if you,re going in the hope of winning a few bob dont bet on the favourites as the profit margin is so small, thats why they,re favourites. instead look out for horses in around the 6/1-12/1 mark and back them as each way and you should get a decent return.mark sure and use different bookies as they will all offer different odds on the same horse. a nice wee bet i always do is a placepot basically you pick a horse from each of the first 6 races and if all your horses are placed you win and it only costs a quid.if you decide to pick a horse on form rather than by a pretty name have a good look at the race card,an individual horse would break down as such - 1 2331-3 aureate h.cecil 7 10.2 m kinnane. the 1 is its place in the race, the 2331-3 is where it has finished in its last 5 races the figures before the dash being last season and the 3 after it this season so the horse finished 3rd in its last race. then you have the horses name and then the name of the owner. the 7 10.2 is firstly the horse is seven years old and its carrying 10.2 in weight and finally the riders name. although not the best indicator of how your horse will do it at least gives you an inkling. hope this helps,have a great time and importantly only bet what you can afford to lose and make sure and pocket your winnings, dont try and reinvest them as the bookie will only get them back again.

anyway hows about a bit of on-line fun. as ladygooner is going to the races on monday night and we,re not, how about picking a selection of horses from the same meeting and seeing how we would have faired in a virtual manner. the racecard for windsor will be in any paper on monday pick a horse from each race and then post them up before the meet starts and i will publish the places on tuesday morning 3pts for first 2 for second etc and the person with the most points wins the east dulwich tipster of the month award its also a virtual award by the way but im sure it will carry a lot of prestige among your peers.

Speaking as a man who spent 23 years working on The Sporting Life I'd say that gambling is a mugs game and save you're money but if you do have a little disposable income and fancy a bit of a flutter then I'd follow Spadetownboy's excellent advice. Also, I'd get hold of a copy of the Racing Post today as they should have four day cards and the form in there for Monday's meetings and you can swot up on the form. Also get a copy on the day and enjoy yourselves. Best of luck.

A fellow laner is an on-course bookmaker and has a pitch on the rails at Windsor - independent bookmakers 'Wharton Slaney' he said ask him and he will give u some good tips.. I know it sounds wierd considering hes a bookmaker?! Ask for Will hes there monday

Dear Ladygooner,

I am a complete air head when it comes to betting, but I would say that heels are not good for race meetings as they sink into the turf - go for wedges - very now, and further if you are ever going for a day time meeting, try to avoid those common "fascinator" type hats, as you will simply get sun burn on your nose. They are dreadfully last year anyhow. A wide brim and wedges = DMs advice for the races.

Chubster - I regret I was unable to tear myself away from the good food and wine to venture outside to the course bookmakers so placed my bets on the tote instead. Won 2 races but still came away ?10 down! Very enjoyable evening out - especially catching the river boat from the station to the course.