Nature notes - 'new' creatures spotted in ED

Nero

Today I've found out, with the help of someone on this site, the name of a creature I'd never seen before in my garden. It was a hoverfly, Latin name Volucella bombylans

It'd be good if other posters could keep an eye out for something they've seen for the first time, or something they've seen for a while but are not sure what it is and put it in this thread? Nero

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Parakeets - squaking buggers

> Woodpeckers - noisy buggers

> big scarey flying stag beetles

> newts

> lizard

> todas by the bucketful

Not strictly on topic, but I need to tell someone.... I nearly cyled over a Gecko the other day in South Wimbledon....poor bugger was deadun already when I went back to check I wasn't dreaming.

Thought I had posted this, but maybe not. I saw a jay for the second time in E Dulwich. It was at the back of the RC school, on Friern Rd, near Etherow Junction. I have heard say by RSPB types that the jay is quite uncommon away from woodlands, and is not that visible even in the parks around here. Nero

no word of a lie this one i was bombing down the a2 to folkestone last december to catch the early morning shuttle to france for a bit of xmas shopping,when i almost took out a baby kangaroo sitting in the middle of the carriageway. kent poilce god bless em did actually take me seriously when i rang them up to report it in, we stuck it in the back of the x-trail and handed it over to the plod when thay appeared. they took my details and i got a call from the owners of a wild life place in wingham in kent who had been broken into the previous night and various animals had escaped including half a dozen joeys turned out my little fella had made it about 6 or 7 miles across fields before my bull bars almost decapitated him(knew they,d come in useful one day.anyway back on topic no exotic animals in my gaff except for stag beetles i must be getting 3-4 a day in the back garden and my little pup is torturing each one in the manner of a cat with a mouse. i have looked them up and apparantly they are an endangered species and confined usually to the south and south east.

>>I have heard say by RSPB types that the jay is quite uncommon away from woodlands, and is not that visible even in the parks around here<<

The people we bought this house from o Underhill Road proudly told us they often saw a jay on the garden - and sure enough we have spotted one a couple of times a year every year since. Surely it cannot be the same one each year? ;-)