se23.com - an exile speaks out!

se23 exile

Congratulations on a lively and interesting forum. I?m an exile from se23.com, and the forum there is dull and slow-moving, with petty and heavy-handed admin.

I don't know who the moderator is (I'm assuming it's a he). I haven't argued with him; let's just say that he takes things a little too seriously.

For example, there's a strange aversion to new threads on topics similar to those posted previously, so threads get mind-numbingly long.

If say you want to start a new thread on swimming, your message will get dumped into the 'Forest Hill Pool (Continued)' thread, which is currently running at 1,255 posts.

Any post asking for recommendations of local traders, restaurants, etc, gets dumped in the Trading Post section. This is a grave-yard, as what you can post here is strictly limited and the rule is you can only reply by private message.

I realise a forum administrator needs to exercise some control , but with a ban on any kind of discussion of the admin, there?s a North Korea-like feel to the forum. I'm posting here and wondering if any other se23 locals want to comment.

Personally I think forums like this one make a really valuable contribution to the community. I think it's a shame there isn't a better forum for your neighbours to the east!

Our admin is bigger an''arder than their admin...nar nee nar nee narnar

Our admin is lighter of touch than their blundering heavy footed admin nar nee .....etc.

Our forumistas are funnier and more perceptive than their etc.

Our forumistas possess greater modesty and humility etc.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the above post proves beyond any doubt

> that our Admin could have the se23 Admin in a

> fight.

Really? I hear they fight like girls ... but I'm happy to be proved wrong if they're up for it.

If the running dogs of se22 wish to help liberate my oppressed homeland, I'd be delighted to collaborate on a rival forum!

• 11 months later...

SE23 exile makes a good point. But he also, inadvertently, demonstrates the weakness of this site.

To start with the subject matter. I similarly used to post on SE23 but gave up due to the draconian controls. Posts being delayed, amended, or just not put on at all. Threads being moved to the 4 O'clock in the morning slot, where no one will ever read them. New threads being started from an existing discussion by the webmaster, and killing a conversation dead. The forum appears to be run as a personal Fiefdom by someone who does not understand (or have any) sense of humour or fun. And is not open to any challenge either via the site or by personal communication. This is therefore not a community thread

The has led to a turgid and unimaginative site, obsessed by train times and house prices, and dominated by a few individuals with too much time on their hands. Most of the creativity of a few years ago appears to have gone. I guess from my knowledge exile you may be Baboonery, Bigbadwoolf or Toffee Jim.

Now this forum is in deed much more exciting. But too often you go off track into banal and/or juvenille discussions totally off thread. Witness this above as you go quickly off thread. Censorship (as with SE23.com) is out of order, but I don't know why you lot act so childish at times (queue a new thread). And from the disrespect to women there seem to be a lot of Liam Gallagher disciples out there.

Perhaps the Sydehham Town Forum has got the right balacne between moderation and free speach.

malumbu Wrote:

> And from the disrespect to

> women there seem to be a lot of Liam Gallagher

> disciples out there.

>

That's all we need round here - another bloke fishing for a shag...

• 5 years later...

Disclosure: this is my website.

Just wanted to put out a mention of the new forum for SE23: https://se23.life

It's only two weeks old, but growing really fast (5000 pageviews/day) and getting loads of positive local input (about 100 posts / day at the moment). Our approach of going out and meeting people in real life to "Verify" their profiles is working well to build a trusted online community.

SE23.life is based on best-of-breed open-source forum software and is mobile-friendly, real-time updated and community moderated. As users build their reputation on the forum, they unlock new features, including some moderator privileges.

It's a fresh approach, and the growth indicates a lot of pent-up demand in the area. Check it out and let me know what you think:

https://se23.life

Chris

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum some time ago for many of the reasons given earlier in this thread and I'd just like to point any other se23, exiles in the direction on Chris's link above. I'll still pop in from time to time, as people have been friendly on here but happy to have a more local place to go too.

Ks

P.O.U.S.theWonderCat Wrote:

> Ah, the famous Chris Beach! I've watched your

> posts with interest - particularly on the topic of

> how Enoch Powell was a good egg.

Care to copy some of these Enoch Powell related posts to here?

Sue: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12438&page=5

Another highlight of his performance garnered him fame with other forums was, after berating a woman for not having enough money when she had a kid, telling her that it was better to abort a foetus than to wilfully bring a child into disadvantage: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12326&page=3.

chrisbeach Wrote:

> Disclosure: this is my website.

>

> Just wanted to put out a mention of the new forum

> for SE23: https://se23.life

>

> It's only two weeks old, but growing really fast

> (5000 pageviews/day) and getting loads of positive

> local input (about 100 posts / day at the moment).

> Our approach of going out and meeting people in

> real life to "Verify" their profiles is working

> well to build a trusted online community.

>

Hmm interesting idea about 'verifying' members? Slightly stalker-ish feeling to that for some reason.

P.O.U.S.theWonderCat Wrote:

> Sue:

> http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12438

> &page=5

>

> Another highlight of his performance garnered him

> fame with other forums was, after berating a woman

> for not having enough money when she had a kid,

> telling her that it was better to abort a foetus

> than to wilfully bring a child into disadvantage:

> http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12326

> &page=3.

Christ. I'm almost sorry I asked.

Shan't be using his forum. I feel like going for a shower now I've read some of his posts :(

It's HIM

If not him, then another HIM

They live amongst us and build buildings/ drive buses/ resent their fathers

And seethe behind keyboards

Though they don't often get the chance to procreate

Be thankful of small mercies