Rugby matters

Narnia

We have Football Focus and Betting Matters. I thought it was about time there was a thread specifically for (even part time) rugby fans. I realise it may not be utilised so much but so what.

My highlight of the week-end was watching Munster win in France.Given how poor they were the previous week this was a truly astounding performance against Perpingnon who rarely lose at home. It made me realise that they are some force when Stuart Barnes (who had to commentate on the game) plus a well known Irish journalist had written them off as being finished.Those guys wrote what I thought last week.

Soon we have the 6 nations. I think that will be a lottery in the sense that there may be upsets. If my team are up for it we should win at home to Italy, Scotland and Wales but at Twickenham and in France will be much more difficult. On the other hand we tend to lose to Wales at home and beat them away. It's a while since we lost to Scotland so this could be their year. And Italy could destroy our pack and win on pens. Ireland for the wooden spoon?

Wonder what the odds are?

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So it's 3.5 to 1 in effect. Bet ?2 you win 7.Why

> the necessity to quote a price that needs -1

> subtracted so you can read it in old money?

4 in decimal means you get 4 times the money back. Risk 20 get 80 back. It equals 3/1 in old money where the 3 represents the winnings (60) but then you get your stake back too (+20=80).

So I think the decimal odds make more sense.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear that a Gravesend player lost the sight in one of his eyes as a result of a gouging incident in a match versus Maidstone. I think the time has come for criminal proceeding to be taken against anyone found guilty of this offence and a lifetime ban from playing rugby.

On another note I was surprised to see a law being used for the first time in a recent HC match where the TMO was called to adjudicate on if a conversion actually went between the posts. The ball went so high and so close to one post the touch judges didn't know. Seems the TMO can be consulted on anything that happens in the in goal area.

Another interesting point was the Ospreys having a 16th man on the field v Leicester. Regardless of the players influence the ref neglected to give a penalty to Leicester which is the rule.Not that I knew it at the time.

Things I'd like to get rid of as the 6 nations approaches:

The crooked put in and the number of forward passes that go undetected.

very much liking the look of the england starting xv for saturday

England: D Armitage (London Irish); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), M Tait (Sale Sharks), R Flutey (Brive), U Monye (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Saracens, capt), J Haskell (Stade Francais), L Moody (Leicester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton).

I hope armitage can find some of his pre-injury form

I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe 3 teams end up with 3 wins and two defeats. Ireland has two difficult away matches and often get slaughtered in France. Will their front row hold up particularly after what's bound to be a bruising encounter with the Italians. France can be slow starters and never much liked going to Scotland when Scotland had a half decent team.But they are prone to weird selections so who knows. It was 1-1 v the AB's in the Summer. I've a funny idea England v Wales will be a draw. Rarely happens but who knows.

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wales will win the title this year, though not the

> Triple Crown (I fear).

I suspect you may be referring to a trip to Dublin with that last comment.So you are looking at 3 home wins and beating England. Am I right?

Interesting article in the Guardian today highlighting the rarity of Wales worrying about the English backs and England worrying about the Welsh front-row in the scrum.

I think Tait might provide the inventiveness England have been lacking. Wilkinson still tackles like a lion and is good for 12 points a game thanks to his kicking. Monye was devastating on the wing for the Lions and Armitage had better be good to keep the inventive Foden out of the line-up. Cueto will be playing for the jersey with Strettle, Banahan and Ashton all gunning for the second spot.

But an all-Lions Welsh front row up against an inexperienced English pack might cause havoc.

I'll call an England win though.

As for the rest of the tournament....hmmm....closest one in years with only Italy not likely to cause too many upsets. Scotland could shock a few people with Any Robinson turning them into a Wallaby-beating outfit of late. In Phil Godman they have one of the most inventive and dynamic fly halves in Europe and Chris Paterson is still the world's best goal kicker. If their pack can hold up they could be up there.

So....I have no $$^%^"? idea.