Would you employ an ex-con??

ChavWivaLawDegree

I'd like to echo the aboves, but if I'm going to be honest to myself I'd probably be harsher about jib cut assessment if I knew.

I guess it also depends on the nature of the job/crime.

If I were to be recruiting for a network security position and the guy had been done for hacking, fraud or industrial espionage I might be a bit reluctant.

Likewise if I was interviewing an arsonist for my dry-tinder sales position etc etc.

Just human nature innit.

My initial reaction would be. Oh sht will this be a problem. Then my common sense would kick in and I would make a conscious effort not to let it influence my judgment. I would probably end up trying so hard not to let it influence me that I would make some kind of Freudian slip in the interview.

Although it depends on their crime to be honest. If it was rape or child abuse I wouldn?t give them the time of day unless it was to run them over with my car but I suppose I could tolerate drugs charges or a bit of robbery.

it depends on when the offences were committed ie it would be a bit unfair to discriminate against a 50 yr old whos crimes were committed 30yrs ago, but then i could always get them on age discrimination instead.on the other hand if the crimes were in the last for example 5 years then if i had 2 people going for a position i would be less likely to give it to the one with the record regardless of experience etc.

Hmmn, you lot are actually quite a nice liberal bunch behind the tough exterior.

I employed a childminder/cleaner years ago through a friend who worked with ex-offenders. She was a hard worker, but when her boyfriend got out of prison about a year later, she nicked a couple of stupid things, so I sacked her.

Most of the people I know have some form or other though, and they are mostly nice people

Nice replies everyone by the way.

My 17 year old son spent the summer lifeguarding at Brockwell Lido. The senior life guard spent much time quietly coaching, encouraging and supporting him in the role where he (my son) had to regularly confront people and tell them to stop doing this, or start doing that. Difficult to handle telling adults what to do - and handling the resultant abuse, when just 17. We discovered later that the senior life guard has a criminal record for murder. He was an excellent person in the role he was in and helped my son develop life skills and confidence.

Long answer to short question - but yes I would employ an ex-con, and have done so in an early and previous career.