Getting Old

Michael Palaeologus

I am feeling my age - anno is definately Dominae.

I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Not a huge surprise as my Father and paternal Grandmother both had it. Nontheless a complete arse. I have the sense and most of the will power to change diet and exercise. The real issue is that it feels like the bell has started to toll.

What is as worrying is that attractive young women now come and chat to me voluntarily and without inducemet. This would seem to be a good thing BUT they are doing it because they dont see me as a "threat". Not in the danger sense, but in the "not likely to try and chat me up because he is passed it" sense.

Is this just me?

"nights out that take 2 days in to recover from"

Oh dear that's been going on for ages, in fact can take up to 5 days.

Still, I managed to meet a mate in the city last night and we stuck to tea.

We did call each other big girls' blouses, but I for one am happier today for it.

Yeah that skeletal hand on the shoulder, aaah well.

Sorry to hear that Mike, we'll have to go on a few more photo-walks and stop in a few less pubs on the way I reckon.

Sorry to hear that, Mr P.

I've always loved booze but disliked being too drunk, so in a way ageing suits me well. There's less expectation to put away ridiculous amounts of lager. On the other hand, when I was younger I recovered much quicker. These days it doesn't take much to make me feel awful for days afterwards.

The amount of clicks and creaks my joints produce these days is truly prodigious. I assume that's an age thing too.

Sorry to hear that MP. Luckily it is controllable with exercise and diet. My brother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in his early 20s and just by scheduling in regular exercise he has managed to not let it be of any detriment to his normal lifestyle.

As for getting old, my back is completely effed in two places and I have RSI in both my arms. It is from doing a desk job. I?ve only been working behind a desk for 5 years. I?m considering changing careers to something that doesn?t leave me in constant pain because another 40 years of this and I wont be able to walk.

I?ve found a few grey hairs but not that worried about them. I reckon they will make me look distinguished.

My hangovers also tend to be worse but I think I probably drink more on a night out now because I have (a) a higher tolerance and (b) a bit more money so it is more difficult for my body to get rid of it all.

Hangovers have been bad for me for about 10 years

Grey hair is another symptom I have had to endure

Wondering how exactly I am going to fund up to 40-50 years of activity post retirement is another recent worry

Sorry to hear about your news Michael but as others have said it's all containable and we'll look after you

Michael, I think there is a difference between being old and feeling old or acting your age as some might put it. The powers of recovery might not be what they were but we can still out drink and out drug most of these young whippersnappers if we so desire and that's down to experience.

I might be getting older but I refuse to grow up. Denial as has been mentioned is probably a good idea too. 50 is the new 30 by the way. Always keep your sense of humour because if you don't you might as well roll over dead.

Sorry to hear about the diabetes but as others have pointed out it's containable. Chin up!

Would rather have grey hairs than no hairs, which is the curse that seems to be attacking me!!! Still, as Jah says, it's about how you feel, and the fun you're having :)-D

As long as I have my Les Paul I'll still be a teenaged Guns N' Roses fan!

We are all getting old....ER! sadly.:(

We think we can carry on the way we could when we were young and cannot understand why we gain pounds when we still eat the same food, why we find it takes longer to walk to the local shops, why going for a knees up takes us a week to recover, why we swap fashion shoes/clothes for comfy stuff, why we start quoting and saying things our parents used to say and so on. Quite a shock really when people and doctors start saying things like "getting on a bit, age, blah blah" and you think " I am not THAT old" which we are not, but we are still older..and older is just as bad as errrr old!

Sometimes I do not realise I am not a teenager anymore until I look at a photo of myself from my teens and check myself in the mirror and I am shocked to see I am no longer fresh faced, we all age without really knowing it. I might not look 17 anymore but I dont look a day over 20 and I am nearly 30...good old Olay!(tu)

Anyway you are only as old as the person you feel..so make sure she is younger then you!>:D<

Heidi x

I'm OldER....I dont mind because i look younger so I can remain in blissed ignorance. 30 is old as my friends and family keep telling me because I have no kids, I am not married, I still cannot drive...so basically they keep saying "tick tock" when they are in my presence. Lovely people eh?

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 29!!!! HeidiHi? That's not old. Anyway, who cares

> youth is wasted on the young.

That's nothing. I'm 49, don't drive, not married, no kids. Blissfully happy without all the acoutrements of the things that weigh you down and ages us apart from a mortage and it gives me a wonderful sense of freedom and irresponsibility and I'm dead happy about it too.

Ahh Jah Lush,

People are always convince that one cannot possibly be happy without kids, marriage and the rest, You know like when obese people say their weight does not bother them and they are all happy and jolly and people mutter " it is a front, I tell you, she cannot be happy with her weight,she wants to be thin really" well they think the same if one is older, single, etc, they say " it is a front, how can they be happy alone, old , without anything but themselves??"

Even my mother said to me the other day " You are only half living if you do not have children and a partner, it is a different and special kind of love" geez thanks Mum!(tu)