Loud churchy religious types (Lounged)

Buzzard

Is anyone else bothered by the incredibly loud, tuneless, rythmn-free music that eminates from the Church of the Sabbath Keepers at the top of Bassano Street all weekend every weekend? They seem to have borrowed Animal as their drummer. Would God approve? I think we should be told.

Down in Brighton a Council took action against similar for same noise laws governing clubs. They were fined.

In Southwark, they've formed a task force for this according to my dear friend who works in 'regeneration' (I constantly rib him for the title). They have churches violating planning laws and noise issues but they have to walk softly so as not to upset the peace. They try and find them alternative space instead of cracking the whip.

I do sympathise with this point. The Baptist church in Amott Road belts out amplified music/singing on a Sunday afternoon when I'm curled up with a book and wanting peace and quiet. I've often been tempted to call out the noise team but suspect this may be a little below the belt - especially since my lot probably contribute to the racket on a Sunday morning in Rye Lane. Any suggestions?

Short of nuking the place? I don't even have the guts to ask them to keep it down. It is particularly annoying that they do it just at the time when the rest of the world is trying to get some R&R.

Would anyone care to join me outside the church to distribute copies of The God Delusion of a Sunday?

Why not borrow one of those cars with the preposterously, embarrassing (except to the knobs who actually drive around in them thinking they are dead cool) loud and bassy sound systems - you know the ones that vibrate shop windows as they go past? Park it outside said Church (even better - in the car park) with the doors and windows open and volume at maximum. Play, let's see....a little bit of Black Sabbath?....Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast....a medley of Alice Cooper...and wait and see the reaction. If congregation objects then agree to turn your stereo off as soon as they cut down the volume of their infernal warbling. Nothing like direct action!

I quite agree that it is unacceptable for people to be subjected to noise pollution, and loud church services that disturb neighbours are just as polluting as anything else (especially if one finds the message contained in the worship offensive and irksome). We are meant to live in a pluralist society so why should one group, ie. the God Squad, be allowed to breach the peace when the rest of us wouldn't be allowed to?

A good friend lives more or less opposite, and he can't stand it. not only for the noise, but the random parking that blocks the whole street every Sunday. Most bizarre one was when a rehearsal studio I use in Crystal Palace hired out a large hall to a similar church. We felt almost guilty playing heavy rock as loud as possible to drown them out ;-)

This is a very good thread I think will go on for a while. Unless you all stop. So anyway when the council were banging on about flattening historical bits of Peckham to stick a tram depot in it, they said there was only one church in the area. Research proved apparently there are 17 ! Which is terrifying. I went to the London Alternative Market in Brixton the other Sunday and if the church people who were singing their hearts out in the main part of the building below us, knew what manner of disgusting fun and devilish implements people were selling and using in the rooms above, they'd have died - and gone to their own heaven. Ahhahahaahahahaahahaa What really pees me off is that if you have no religion you're not allowed to be in the guides or scouts and only religious people are given a voice in Thought for the Day. Back to topic, can't we get our friendly new journalist to do a story about noise and hypocrisy and stuff?

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Set up you drum kit outside and let rip with a

> cozy powell style solo, ensuring the tempo is

> wildly different to what is being regurgitated

> inside the church - laugh at the chaos caused .

Nice idea but not sure if this would work as there seems often to be no consistent tempo TO interrupt INSIDE the church!

Yes, it is true. Mine was fraudulant also. I went to a CofE school just because the education was better. Peter Duncan (ex Blue Peter) is now the leader of the scout federation and he was interviewed on radio recently. One woman asked him about the hypocrisy of the religion thing. He couldn't answer. Pesky small minded religious types. Pahhh

mockney piers Wrote:

> > if you have no religion you're not allowed to be

> in the guides or scouts

>

> Is that true? Oops; My youth was fraudulent!!

EDOldie Wrote:

> Thay are hypocrites, I used to play in a rock band

> and we hired a church hall to practice in, and

> they threw us out for being too loud. Brendan,

> they do have achohol in Churches you know.

> Especially on a Sunday.

It was probabaly the biting the heads of chickens and flinging entrails around the hall that they objected to

snorky Wrote:

> EDOldie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Thay are hypocrites, I used to play in a rock

> band

> > and we hired a church hall to practice in, and

> > they threw us out for being too loud. Brendan,

> > they do have achohol in Churches you know.

> > Especially on a Sunday.

>

> It was probabaly the biting the heads of chickens

> and flinging entrails around the hall that they

> objected to

Yes. It wasn't extreme enough! If you had engaged in a bit of crucifixion, genocide and child cruelty as per the Bible they'd probably have made you an Elder.

We were forced to swear an allegiance to the Queen and a disney animated Wolf every meeting (or whatever they were called), but I don't recall any God bothering, perhaps I've blocked out the trauma.

My neckerchief was a lovely claret colour and I had a green woggle. I should have been made a sixer but some new kid joined who was a month older than me and instantly got the promotion that should have been mine... MINE I TELL YOU!!!!

That's when I learned that life ain't fair and there's definitely no God, a useful lesson for a 9 year old which has never been forgotten.