Ming has gone

ChavWivaLawDegree

I remember that 1983 campaign. Hughes was a beneficiary rather than an instigator or active supporter of the repugnant homophobic smear campaign against the Labour candidate, one Peter Tatchell (what became of him? :)). The canpaign was "masterminded" by assorted "old" Labour diehards like Bob Melchett. Hughes did not exactly cover himself with glory at the time but politics is a dirty business innit?

Yes it was against Peter Tatchell, and was really dirty. He has since joined the Green Party and is standing in Oxford. He stands a chance of getting in too.

I doubt Mr Hughes will become leader, but it would be wierd for me if he did because I might get more opportunity to soap-box purely by standing against him as a lowly Green candidate in his elevated position.

I'm feeling a bit starstruck!!

As I was growing up in the Bermondsey Simon Hughes first became an MP for the area. His opportunistic and scaremongering (BNP-lite) may have endearded himself to some in the area but definitley not me - I can't stand the man. Only since he achieved a national reputation - a momemnt I deplored - did he suddenly become an MP for all. He is all about power, worse so than other politicians especially seeing the Lib Dems are hardly going to get into power.

I first became involved in politics when a girlfriend asked me to help her campaign for Simon Hughes in '83. Simon Hughes wasn't merely a beneficiary of the homophobic politicking - almost the entire Liberal party of the area were involved. The campaign was perhaops one of the first to be run on personality rather than political argument. The experience helped me learn to dislike the Liberals / Lib Dems as opportunistic hypocrites and see other organised political parties as much the same. It pushed me toward my libertarian / individual knows best view of politics.

Didn't stick with the girlfriend either.

The Lib Dems have been for some while an irrelevance in politics - despite their current numbers in parliament. There was a time when their less extreme ideas swayed political thinking - but that's not been the case for some while. They'll never die out but they may return to being a genuine "third party" with < 10 MPs as they were through most of the 70's & 80's.

MM - there us much truth in what you say there. The one defence I would put up for the Liberals/Lib-Dems is that, by necessity they are required to be opportunistic given the current voting system.

If you led a third party with equivalent support levels and with whatever policies you choose, you would be negligent if you didn't engage in a degree of Machiavellian politics

Actually I've thought of another defence of them - they aren't either of the two main parties

(yes, yes overly simplistic I know - but no less true for that)

Hughes has already declared himself out, has he not?

He could have made it - had he not accidentally tripped and fallen open-mouthed onto a penis. Surely Mark Oaten, Ron Davies and Portillo could have warned him to watch his step around that tricky bit of pavement?

come on Maurice, provide a link to the source....

edit - hang on thought I'd do the lookup myself. I had a fair idea where to find it after all

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=70740&in_page_id=34

Renting a place isn't really the same thing a trying to forge an agenda which encapsulates a wider strategy, but it probably does come under "faux pas"

Come on then we are all ears

What is says to me sounds very like "hahahahaahahahahahahaahah we don't have to listen to a WORD you say, weirdos, because you rent a building which isn't properly insulated hahahahahahahahaahahahaha!!!"

Whis is neither:

a lot, or

helpful

If they are renting premises, then they may not be allowed to do anything to the building.

If you say they should rent a "better" building then how many are there available?

Does the Green Party have policies to tackle the shortage of properties with better insulation? One would have thought so, but that article isn't going to inform anyone about anything