What shops do we NEED in ED then? (Lounged)

Spangles30

For those of you who moan (me included) about the proliferation of estate agents and trinket shops in the area, what shops or businesses could we do with in the area that would prove USEFUL? Which shops could we do without, again in your opinion? I know the sweet shop is 'good for house prices' and looks 'pretty' but.....

I am quite happy with the 'new' fishmongers, butchers, shoe shop, (not the one near me in Northcross though - it is IMO so POINTLESS selling 'orrible Crocs). I have also been a big fan of the Northcross Grocers for many years standing. Chris the owner is consistently friendly and nice too.

I don't like the proliferation of Estate Agents in ED, but I do recognise that there were previously quite a number of unused shop units in LL and elsewhere in ED. A decent bakery would be a bit of a risk, but one could probably survive these days, without being on sited on Lordship Lane. Word of mouth could be enough to get sufficient custom if it was good enough, even if it operated from a unit away from the main shopping street.

"Not an M&S PLEASE!"

I think a decent M&S food shop would be good for me, but its negative effects on other, usually independent, food shops in ED would have to be considered. Also, shop rents/leases are rapidly increasing now, so imagine what effect an M&S might have on them.

Restaurants:

Yo Sushi

Pizza Express/Gourmet Pizza/Zizzi/ASK Pizza

LEON

Canteen

Home furnishings:

Heals

Habitat

Laura Ashley

Grooming/toiletries

Clinique

Space NK

Clothing:

Ralph Lauren

Gap/Abercrombie

Jones the Bootmaker

Top Shop

Do we want ED to become like a horrific suburban high street?

seanmlow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not an M&S PLEASE!

Why not an M&S? There is simply NOWHERE in ED that does decent grub to cook at home. Somerfield is a joke and trudging through the labarynthine aisles of Sainsbury's is enough to deter anyone. M&S provides the type of goods that we want, decent quality and fair enough prices. It is hard for me to actually think of a better fit.

What I love about ED is the fact that the balance of chain shops/quirky places is just right. You can go and buy your meat fresh at the butchers but also grab something quick from Sommerfield!

Foxtons have already bastardised the shop front - what is next?!

Yes Lozzy, if only Sommerfield was a Waitrose. In my opinion, Sommerfield is a horrible supermarket with vile quality food. Waitrose on the other hand is fab.

By the way Frisco. "horrific suburban high streets" do not have Space NKs and Jones the Bootmakers on them!

I'd love a Fresh n Wild aka Wholefoods market in the area. It would do really well.