Are you on benefit?

Maurice

I was amused/bemused to read Southwark tops the list in terms of caseload when it comes to benefit claimants. I also just read how Lambeth is piloting voice software that can flag when someone may be telling a fib, and thus demand a higher threshold of documentation/proof for claims.

So with so many of you out there, I thought I would offer a stage. Are you on benefit? What type? Do you feel it is enough for given your circumstances? Do you believe there is too much fraud?

I'm anxiously await replies, tissue in hand to dab off the spit.

I am on benefit.

Or rather my kids are. We get child benefit. I think it's too much as we don't spend it but rather pay it directly into their savings accounts.

Not sure what you mean by 'too much fraud'. Do you mean so much that the benefit should be stopped and the innocent should suffer. If so then there is definitely not too much fraud. I think benefit fraud is massively overreported and miniscule in comparison to tax evasion.

Tax evasion is much less taboo than benefit fraud though. That seems unfair to me.

Perhaps you are correct dear Alan. Though I would suspect tax evaders re-invest keeping the economy more bouyant and the 'pyramid' more robust.

I'm curious why one should receive child benefit from the state if not really needed. I'm sure I've missed something.

I quite liked the recent scam (involves benefits and tax) where some disbled guys were buying Lamborghinis and Ferraris fitted with a disabled device like a knob on the steering wheel, avoiding VAT and reselling at a nice profit. Fraudsters or Entrepreneurs?

The National Audit Ofice consistently refuse to sign off the accounts of the DWP because they simply don't know how much they lose to fraud. If you include under 'fraud' anybody receiving more than their strict legal entitlement, it is a truly massive sum. Tax credits are a similar scenario, with the added glitch that the way the system is designed means that millions are overpaid every year with little prospect of reclaiming more than a small proportion of it. The willingness of doctors to provided certificates to anyone who asks for them has led to a huge rise in the number of people receiving benefit on the basis that they are unfit to work, although there is little other evidence to suggest that there genuinely is a health crisis amongst the working population.

It's a mess.

We've all seen the episode of Wife Swap where the chinless wonder woman and her limp husband trade with Lizzy 'The Beard' Bardsley - and Mrs Chinless sees how much benefit they get and is outraged, yeah? DOLE SCUM!

Well there are a few headlinetastic cases of Ms Wotsit and her 18 kids who get get a four bedroomed house for nowt and ?60k a year in her back skyrocket. But they live like shit and if you think they're 'appy, think again.

As for me, I was on 'income support' which worked out to around ?33/week. I tried spending it all on booze, drugs, fags, gambling and a big TV (like the papers tell us THEY do) - but (surprise!) I found that with food, clothes, travel, electricity, gas etc etc etc to account for as well - it didn't really stretch too far.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If

> you include under 'fraud' anybody receiving more

> than their strict legal entitlement, it is a truly

> massive sum.

You don't - that's bad admin not fraud.

I agree that some elements of the benefit system should be simplified but calling the problem benefit fraud blames the recipients rather than the providers of the benefit. That's not fair.

Maurice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Though I would suspect tax evaders re-invest keeping the economy

> more bouyant and the 'pyramid' more robust.

That's alright then.

I signed on for a few months once when I was (surprise surprise) living in Liverpool... Only did it for acceptance and street cred you understand.

I think more money is wasted giving all the teenagers free bus passes. Make them walk so I don't have to listen to their mobile phone music!!!