If Becks cost 49p in a supermarket

scor46

If a bottle of Becks costs 49p in a supermarket what?s a fair price for a tied pub to be charging for the same? Remember overheads: rent, rates wages, light & heat maintenance and repair of the property, and the need to earn a living out of running it all?.

I was in Letchworth this weekend. I got charged ?5.40 for two pints of stella. When I said "wow" the girl serving apologised and said "well, it IS stella"

I just chuckled to myself and pocketed a good nugget's worth more change than I normally do.

But *bob*'s about right, though I'd rather not have to spend ?3 plus if i fancy the odd bottle.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely 'fairness' has nothing to do with it.. it's

> a case of what people are prepared to pay?

Actually, I think that ought to read "it's a case of what landlords can get a way with charging"

Most People are *not* bothered about a quid either way on drinks these days, unless its a weatherspoons which sells itself on a number of bottom line factors including price.

I think Lowenbrau is about ?3 a go in Inside72 - I would probabaly pay ?4 or ?4.50, but baulk at the magical ?5

I recently paid ?3.75 for a small 250ml Becks in the city - which only struck me as extreme, as I pay ?8.99 for a case of 20 for home use - like 45p each.

Theres a lot of money slopping around that people seem eager to spend on going out, sometiems to the detriment of other things they need to service.

YOu are not really paying for beer in a pub - unless its a micro brewery or has something utterly stunning - you are paying for the atmos. and the brand / location / whatever.

The question was posted to find out what people think or really know about the ?Great British pub?? Why are the majority of pubs so expensive yet Wetherspoons can charge so much less than everyone else? This is not a pop at any pub or supermarket chain, it?s a real question.

If BECKS was given away, I still wouldn't drink. I think it is awful stuff. And since when did fairness have anything to do with what a business charges for its' products. It's all a question of what the market will stand. If you think a pub charges too much for it's drinks, you don't go there. I work in the city and I know they take the piss with the prices that they charge, which is why I very rarely drink here. Having said that some of the local ED boozers aren't that far behind, and they know who they are!!! (6)

I usually drink bottles in pubs for the simple reason that 90% of the barrel-kept stuff in our great city is bloody horrible and I gave-up on taking the chance on it long ago - unless I go to a pub where I know it's safe to drink.

I know it's a terrible cliche, but when I arrived in London many year ago from 'oop north', I just could not believe how awful the beer was, or why anyone in their right mind would want to drink it.

IN reailty, the price if drinks is irrelevant to most.

The perception is a different matter

If you go out and drink 10 pints a night at ?2.50 and suddenly move to the Bishop as yer local and pay ?3.50, then thats ?70 a week difference

But no one on this board is in that league I think.

3-5 pints a couple of times week - maximum - thats about ?10 a week tops - the price of a taxi back from London bridge or a sushi & salad at pret - its nothing for most people - is a small houswarming " gift" from a tat shop on LL or a piece of decent meat for 2 at William Rose.

Pubs charge what they can , because once they have their market sorted, they know the boundaries of their greed. Usually.

as I said, you dont pay for the drink usuallym b=you opay for brand/ location and enviroment.

otherwise we would all sit in the playground drinking Buckfast on a saturday night

scor46 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why are the majority of pubs so expensive

> yet Wetherspoons can charge so much less than

> everyone else?

Because they're a massive chain and can do special deals with suppliers for huge beer orders, and can probably get through barrels quick enough to buy them near the end of their "best before" life?

Just guessing really.

Becks is sh!t be the way, so 49p seems rather too much :)-D

The reason supermarkets can sell Becks for 49p a bottle is they do so as a "loss leader". They do the same with bread, milk and a few other products.

The principle is that the idea fo getting Becks for such a cheap price will draw customers into the supermarket. Whilst picking up their becks, they will then think "ooh, I quite fancy some pringles to go with this. Why don't I make it a night in and get one of the take-away curry bags things" and thus rack up sizeably more than 49p when they get to the cashdesk.

People buy from supermarkets because they assume they are getting good value on everything. In fact they are only getting "good" value on a few staples. What this means for the producers of these is highlighted in the plight of the British dairy farmer.

What price is it fair to pay in a pub for a bottle of becks? Well if x is the cost production and y is the overheads of the pub and z is the.....

oh sod it, about ?1.95 I should think.