Your views on Foie Gras

Thomas Micklewright

Hey Guys.

Im very interesting in your views on Foie Gras (fatty liver) - follow link if you dont know about this controversial dish (The duck is force fed until its liver swells massively with fatty tissue).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras_controversy

Le Chardon is still serving this horrible dish, and it would be wonderful if we could encourgae them to remove it from the menu.

Franklins, EDT and Beauberry House have all agreed to stop serving Foie Gras.

What do people think about this?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas, I absolutely agree. It's a disgusting practice. I feel often feel like I belong to another race from people that can abide this sort of cruelty. It's nothing about getting a life. It's about having some integrity and moral standing.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BUT have you tried Foie Gras, wrapped in milk fed

> baby cow (is there any other kind?) and wrapped in

> pastry? Lovely.

>

>

Have tried that at Heston's new place and it is made palatable by the shark's fin broth it is served alongside in case the pastry is too dry (i.e. made with too little black rhino lard) and must say that the dolphin-eyeball-with-pineapple-on-a-stick appetisers were a real treat.

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to see the mixture of replies. Sorry to see people making jokes of animal abuse. Thought people may be a little bit mature although I suppose it is the 'internet effect'.

Would anyone here boycott a restaurant due to their choice of animals / animal farming?

Thanks

Thomas

I was taking the piss because picking on a high end item is deliberately obscure and at the same time attention seeking - check out the farming practices that give rise to the cheap pork in the local supermarkets around here and you will see that foie gras pales into insignificance. Bacon sandwich?

ETA: As a Vegan Tom - why DID you pick on this? I mean what meat AREN'T you against?

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ETA: As a Vegan Tom - why DID you pick on this? I

> mean what meat AREN'T you against?

I could be totally wrong here but perhaps as some meat-eaters also abhor the practice involved for foie gras (as opposed to just veggies/vegans), maybe its easier to garner support for this initially and tackle other wider animal welfare issues further down the line? (Such as cheap supermarket pork and poor animal husbandry practiced?). I'm sure it doesn't mean that by picking on this that they advocate other meats instead?...

Edited to add; whoops didn't explain that very well, also meant that possiibly a lot of people are fairly ignorant of the widespread bad practiices involved in rearing and slaughtering of animals eg their supermarket pork, but that a lot of people would be familiar with - and more likely to support the boycott of a product such as foie gras.

You're right some meat eaters do abhor the practice so they don't eat it. Others never have because it's so expensive - attack the meat-eaters or the wealthy but don't blanket-bomb in the hope of garnering support for a philosophy most people have no time for.

And as for targeting a French restaurant for serving a quintessentially French dish and trying to organise a boycott - well I find that more distasteful than foie gras, veal and sow crates.

ETA: *sow crates* - not the Bill & Ted philosophy guy.

I liked foie gras - but having an idea of how it is made I'd be more than happy to settle for a good goose/duck liver pate or any other decent pate. So I don't order foie gras any more.

Im a real meat fan, but dont generally agree with animals being made to suffer extra hardship for our benefit.

But a good steak from a well looked after cow is hard to beat.

Thanks for raising this Thomas.

Tom, I am all for raising awareness and good on you for doing so as I am sure there are some people out there tucking into duck pate, blissfully unaware of the process that goes into making it.

However, personally, not sure if boycotting a restaurant that chooses to have it on the menu is asking a bit too much..